PDA

View Full Version : Doesn't get more obvious than this! He's trying too hard!

Loosir
11-16-2015, 10:43 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5lCQh3kExQ

Not sure if I want them to breed but it's fun that to see them flirt

Ryan
11-16-2015, 10:50 PM
They're very nice fish. It's always fun watching them flirt and display for one another.

Loosir
11-17-2015, 12:30 AM
Thanks Ryan! Means a lot coming from you!

alcastro
11-17-2015, 01:50 AM
She's cleaning the branch, the two look a bit different

Loosir
11-17-2015, 08:34 AM
She's cleaning the branch, the two look a bit different

yeah, its a blue diamond and Flachen (solid turquoise), I'm not interested in breeding mutts so I'm not sure what to do if this budding romance takes off. I have two red turks and two pigeon reds but what are the chances of them picking the right mates?!;)

John_Nicholson
11-17-2015, 09:09 AM
Not a bad cross really.

-john

Loosir
11-17-2015, 09:28 AM
Not a bad cross really.

-john

That's good to know! I'm not really sure what blue diamonds are, are they albinos since they have no bars or pepper?
Do you know if the offspring would be some sort of (50% mix with 25% and 25% true), or 100% mutt?

Thanks
Geoff

Loosir
11-17-2015, 09:29 AM
And yes I'm going to start reading up on the genetics threads! :o

Ryan
11-17-2015, 09:33 AM
Blue diamonds are not albinos and they're not pigeons. They make really nice crosses with other striated fish. Blue diamond x snakeskin, for instance, gives us Blue Scorpions which are one of the nicest blue varieties available IMO.

Loosir
11-17-2015, 09:49 AM
Blue diamonds are not albinos and they're not pigeons. They make really nice crosses with other striated fish. Blue diamond x snakeskin, for instance, gives us Blue Scorpions which are one of the nicest blue varieties available IMO.

Nice, Thank you so much Ryan, John and Al! I love that I have three big guns chiming in on this!

So I think I'm hearing this cross with the Flachen, which I believe is basically a cobalt with less pronounced bars is worth doing!

rickztahone
11-17-2015, 12:52 PM
I know I've told you this before Geoff, but out of all the newcomers I have ever witnessed here, you are one of the few that heeded everyone's advice from the get-go, kept at it, and grew out some monster discus. If only everyone else did the same as you, we'd be watching a whole lot more of these videos.

Your discus look beautiful, and as others have said, that wouldn't be a bad cross. If you plan on breeding, do you have RO water/separate tank for breeding/separate tank for raising fry? If no, then no need to do anything, just let them be. However, just be aware that these discus will get even more aggressive as time goes on. If I remember correctly, you have a 55g (?), you may want to consider a slightly larger tank.

alcastro
11-17-2015, 02:12 PM
Not a big gun yet, just a pistol lol

Loosir
11-17-2015, 02:40 PM
I know I've told you this before Geoff, but out of all the newcomers I have ever witnessed here, you are one of the few that heeded everyone's advice from the get-go, kept at it, and grew out some monster discus. If only everyone else did the same as you, we'd be watching a whole lot more of these videos.

Your discus look beautiful, and as others have said, that wouldn't be a bad cross. If you plan on breeding, do you have RO water/separate tank for breeding/separate tank for raising fry? If no, then no need to do anything, just let them be. However, just be aware that these discus will get even more aggressive as time goes on. If I remember correctly, you have a 55g (?), you may want to consider a slightly larger tank.

OMG Ricardo, your going to make me cry:o, Thank you so much for the complements!

I was just sitting at the tank and noticed the shimmering so I had to make a video! No eggs. As far as breeding I have no idea yet but I do have my wife's permission with means it's 99% guaranteed that I'll try it! :D.
Yes, all I have in the 55g + 20g sump and no RO. I will definitely have to figure out the breeding tanks if I decide to do this, I know Hans was selling some of his extra 29g and 75g predrilled tanks to make room.

FYI, 4th Big gun!!

Thanks again!
Geoff

Loosir
11-17-2015, 02:41 PM
Not a big gun yet, just a pistol lol

Haha,
But still, a pistol with some sweet fish, awesome cars and a lot of clout around here!!!

rickztahone
11-17-2015, 02:48 PM
OMG Ricardo, your going to make me cry:o, Thank you so much for the complements!

I was just sitting at the tank and noticed the shimmering so I had to make a video! No eggs. As far as breeding I have no idea yet but I do have my wife's permission with means it's 99% guaranteed that I'll try it! :D.
Yes, all I have in the 55g + 20g sump and no RO. I will definitely have to figure out the breeding tanks if I decide to do this, I know Hans was selling some of his extra 29g and 75g predrilled tanks to make room.
Thanks again!
Geoff

a couple of 29g hanging around isn't a bad idea. If you were to separate a few discus from the 55g, then the load would be less, however, depending on how many you left behind, they may become super aggressive towards one another.

If you plan on breeding, just make sure you read up. I know you do well in following good examples and I have no doubt you'd be good at it if you put your mind to it, just know that breeding is a whole other beast in this hobby. Think of the logistics and the costs and if you are willing to take that on. As you know, I am currently raising a batch of discus, probably 1/4 of the original spawn, and they are costing me a whole lot just on food. I can only imagine what a whole spawn of discus would cost. So, just consider all angles and don't go in blind is my only advice ;)

With that being said, considering how nice your discus are, I do not see any problem with you moving any discus in your area.

Jack L
11-17-2015, 10:06 PM
umm...this tank is so CLEAN, there is nothing for it to be cleaning!
loosir, i'll send you some algae ;)

at this moment my 2 blues are removing it from some driftwood they are making their breakfast of caviar on (i'm assuming they will eat the eggs again)

Loosir
11-17-2015, 10:38 PM
umm...this tank is so CLEAN, there is nothing for it to be cleaning!
loosir, i'll send you some algae ;)

at this moment my 2 blues are removing it from some driftwood they are making their breakfast of caviar on (i'm assuming they will eat the eggs again)
Haha, awesome! You send algae and I'll send crackers and a butter knife!

Jack L
11-17-2015, 11:02 PM
couldn't get a clearer picture....
loosir
i have cultivated black, green, beard, staghorn, a recent develoment is red, a beautiful specimen, it is a deep full red velvet. very uncommon. you pick. your tank is just to sterile. LOL p.s. the Ds also eat it. that i'm serious about the eating it part. in one of the old books i have, it mentions its good for Ds to eat it and wild ones do.

MKD
11-17-2015, 11:32 PM
Very nice looking discus you have there. But not yet, wait until they feed fry, they are even more beautiful.

Loosir
11-18-2015, 12:54 PM
Very nice looking discus you have there. But not yet, wait until they feed fry, they are even more beautiful.

love it:D