PDA

View Full Version : Black Water Extract(BWE) and Indian Almond Leaf(IAL)

mkelly66
11-18-2015, 04:16 PM
I have used both IAL and BWE by themselves and with antibiotics to treat various issues and to induce spawning with my Betta's for years. Have any of you guys used it with Discus, and if so do you feel that it helped cure an issue or induce difficult spawners.

John_Nicholson
11-18-2015, 05:32 PM
Just use organic peat moss. It will do a better job and is a lot cheaper in the long run. BWE is basically just snake oil in my opinion.

-john

DISCUS STU
11-18-2015, 05:51 PM
I use to use it years ago but don't see the need. It doesn't do much.

The first time I received BWE I opened the bottle and it accidentally fell into my water change bucket, which was actually an old metal tub. This was something like a triple dose. One of my females did start laying eggs immediately and pretty much as a result of this. So I suppose it can help.

There was also another one, Tetra Cichlid Vital, but I think it was discontinued.

Now what seems to be snake oil are those Discus mineral additives, and expensive snake oil at that. Somehow it does a number on the dissolved oxygen in the tank and wiped out about half of my first spawn. The parents were gasping at the surface for air. Though it was partially my fault for not using an airstone.

pitdogg2
11-18-2015, 06:02 PM
There was also another one, Tetra Cichlid Vital, but I think it was discontinued.

yep that was for African Cichlids and it was Iodide in that was good for the Africans. I've used both like John said IF I was going to use it I would get peat moss and make my own. easypeasy