PDA

View Full Version : receiveing smaller discus than ever before

bigandround
11-18-2015, 10:49 PM
hello, I usually receive discus no smaller then 2 1/2 to 3 in but it has been longtime since I have had any this small, so here goes I am set to receive 6 small like dime sized and need info, what I have is a 10 gal, and a 20gal both cycled set and going, gonna wait and make determination of which one to use at time of receiving, but my worry is the food, am told the are feeding on liquefied beefheart, and brine shrimp flakes, have ordered some brine flake, and gonna have bloodworms avail. , im just leary of the beefheart that small !!! also the temp around 84 is this about right , also should I have a batch of live brine shrimp avail. just in case they wont eat what I offer. and when they get bigger they will go in a 75gal, , and which in your opinion would you start 6 dime sized in 10, or 20 gal.

warblad79
11-18-2015, 11:00 PM
20 gallon, use beefheart mix flakes instead of brine shrimp flakes, ditch the frozen bloodworm, 50%-100% water change per day

rickztahone
11-18-2015, 11:02 PM
Wow, not many breeders will sell discus so tiny. However, I got a group of small discus recently and fed them a lot of D4 pellets until I felt they were old enough to go on BH. Then I simply threw it in the tank and they took it easily. I would chose the 20g as it is easier to maintain parameters in that than the smaller tank.

bigandround
11-19-2015, 12:39 AM
thanks for the info

John_Nicholson
11-19-2015, 09:44 AM
Through the years I have sold lots at that size to experienced discus people. At that size my fry are normally eating my beef heart mix well. I do normally feed them at least a little BBS but the BH would be their main food at that point.

-john

Woodduck
11-19-2015, 12:33 PM
I know by the description that those are from Joe Gargas right here in Florida!

DISCUS STU
11-20-2015, 05:24 PM
You can also crush some Discus Bio-Gold between your fingers to get the granule size smaller. Finely chopped beef heart should also work.