PDA

View Full Version : Tank bridge?

Debow
11-20-2015, 06:24 PM
Question, I have a 20g next to my sump tank and want to know how I would tie in to the sumo to have the same water in the 20g that is in the 240?

Debow
11-24-2015, 08:49 AM
No ideas? I misspelled sump is that throwing everyone off? Ill provide a little more info, My pairs of fish will spawn every 2 weeks or less in the main tank, as soon as I take them out into another tank (20g) they wont do a think for a month, put them back in the main tank and aw-la they spawn. So by the advice of a friend who breads black diamond rays and frontosa he advised to keep the water the same in both tank. Any Ideas on how to connect the two?

DJW
11-24-2015, 10:09 AM
The only thing I can think of is to drill the upper part of the 20g for an overflow, elevate the 20g a few inches so its water level is just above the rim of the sump, and put a small powerhead in the sump to send water into the 20g tank. A siphon-type overflow would be risky.

Second Hand Pat
11-24-2015, 11:52 AM
Another idea is when doing a WC on the display tank use some of the waste water in the 20g. I'm thinking it may not be the water. You could add a third fish to the 20 when you move the pair.
Pat

Debow
11-24-2015, 12:31 PM
It seams that every time I put fish in another tank they hate it, get all startled and stressed. I change 50% every night in the 20g and use safe. Just trying to think of ways to get the 2 pairs to spawn and be able to keep the free swimmers as they all get picked off in the main tank.

rickztahone
11-24-2015, 01:16 PM
Have you considered putting them in a 29g instead of 20g?

Debow
11-24-2015, 02:08 PM
I bought the 20g due to the space factor in my sump room, I have everything on a platform. Are you saying the extra 9g will help with water volume?

rickztahone
11-24-2015, 02:28 PM
I bought the 20g due to the space factor in my sump room, I have everything on a platform. Are you saying the extra 9g will help with water volume?

Possibly. In theory, if you are prepping the water the same way for both, then it is exactly the same parameters. If, you are doing something different to the water in one or the other, than make them the same so that the discus are used to it. Are they going in to the same type of prepared water, or are they different?

Debow
11-24-2015, 03:32 PM
I think the ph in the 20 is higher like 7.0-7.2 and then drops to 6.9 ish the tank is in the 6's like 6.2-6.5. temp is the same its just a glass 20 with a sponge filter in it a and a heater.

rickztahone
11-24-2015, 04:06 PM
I think the ph in the 20 is higher like 7.0-7.2 and then drops to 6.9 ish the tank is in the 6's like 6.2-6.5. temp is the same its just a glass 20 with a sponge filter in it a and a heater.

Can you make it so that they have exactly the same parameters? In the tank they are attempting to breed, is the water suitable to hatch fry?

Debow
11-24-2015, 04:33 PM
The tank water in the main tank I get a good hatch lots of wigglers it is when they free swim the other fish eat them. That's why I want to just have a extension of the main tank flowing through the 20g (or larger). I know vary little about breading I have spent a lot of time in the breading section but it still is like Greek to me. I even took the drift wood they lay on and but it in the 20g with the mother and she ate all the eggs.