PDA

View Full Version : Need to know about floating plant

donnacona
11-23-2015, 03:13 PM
My friend gave me several big water sprite ( don't know the official name ) plants to float on the surface of my tanks. He said it absorbs nitrate by the hanging roots. Is that so or what benefits does it have.
Thanks
Stu

jmf3460
11-23-2015, 03:19 PM
water sprite is a huge nitrate absorber. In a discus tank you should not have high nitrates though so it may be overkill. They are a cool and fast growing plant to bury in the substrate, they will reach water level in no time at all, its one of those plants you can almost see growing. Now it is a leafy plant that allows a lot of nooks and crannies for food and poo to build up and make a mess. I like water sprite, not in a discus tank though.

Debow
11-23-2015, 06:52 PM
Amazon frog bit, I use to have it on a angel tank years back spreads vary quickly.

Filip
11-23-2015, 07:22 PM
You can have it as a floater, planted in the bottom or tied down to decorations.It can grow emersed( above water level) also.
Very undemanding plant.

Don't really on any plants to remove nitrates in a discus tank.
That apply for other fish,discus need much more clean water than that.
I tried once with tank full of fastgrowing plants and it didn't work out for me.

donnacona
11-23-2015, 10:20 PM
Thank all.
Stu

jdhuyvetter
11-24-2015, 09:20 PM
I used to let it grow in all my fry tanks. The little ones were always picking among the roots. Not sure exactly what they were eating, but I had good growth rates and extremely hardy fry. Used it with angels, bettas and Africans.

donnacona
11-25-2015, 10:45 AM
I'm not trying to use the plants to reduce my water changes but only as a polisher to help my fish feel more comfortable. They seem more calm especially when they are taking care of their eggs or fry with the plants overhead.

Filip
11-25-2015, 01:01 PM
I used to let it grow in all my fry tanks. The little ones were always picking among the roots. Not sure exactly what they were eating, but I had good growth rates and extremely hardy fry. Used it with angels, bettas and Africans.

Roots traps the finest particles of food leftovers and gunk to feed themselves.
Shrimps love to munch on them also.

Filip
11-25-2015, 01:06 PM
I'm not trying to use the plants to reduce my water changes but only as a polisher to help my fish feel more comfortable. They seem more calm especially when they are taking care of their eggs or fry with the plants overhead.

You're right Stu. Discus seemed to love thick floating vegetation dark corners.
It gives them secure spot to rest and retrieve when scared.
They do trap lot of floating food between them though.
Be warry of that with dry floating foods.

donnacona
11-26-2015, 04:26 PM
I make sure that the food falls to the bottom of the tank so it don't get hung up in the plants. I run BB tanks.