PDA

View Full Version : Giving ginger to discus, the good the bad

Davidzil
11-23-2015, 09:23 PM
I see that some keepers of Discus give ginger to their stock, I've heard of garlic, but not ginger.
How effective is ginger to reduce internal parasites?

rickztahone
11-24-2015, 01:13 PM
This is the first time I hear of it to be honest.

Davidzil
11-24-2015, 01:33 PM
But and interesting idea?
I Googled it, and there are some trying it out, I was curious

rickztahone
11-24-2015, 01:34 PM
Interesting? possibly. Recommendable? I wouldn't, personally that is.

Willie
11-24-2015, 03:32 PM
There's no science to any of these inclusions. You can do whatever you like as long as it doesn't harm the fish, but it's very unlikely to address intestinal parasites. Think of it this way. If you had intestinal parasites, would you rely on ginger or very specific medication?

DISCUS STU
11-24-2015, 05:00 PM
There's no science to any of these inclusions. You can do whatever you like as long as it doesn't harm the fish, but it's very unlikely to address intestinal parasites. Think of it this way. If you had intestinal parasites, would you rely on ginger or very specific medication?

This is great! Yes, does garlic do much of anything? I've always used it it in my beef heart / turkey heart but is their a thread as to it's effectiveness in reducing or affecting internal parasites?

Davidzil
11-24-2015, 05:10 PM
I think we are looking to reduce, we are not completely wiping anything out.
If we look at eating raw fish as humans, there is a reason why real and not fake ginger is served.
I was just wondering

ssevasta
11-25-2015, 12:42 AM
I always thought that adding garlic had a lot more to do with making the food taste better to the fish than anything else. I read somewhere that the amount of garlic it would take to kill intestinal parasites is way more than you would ever be able to get your fish to eat.

bluelagoon
11-25-2015, 12:49 AM
Ginger is a treatment for nausea in humans.

Davidzil
11-25-2015, 11:32 AM
I see, there goes that idea, lol

Filip
11-25-2015, 11:53 AM
This is great! Yes, does garlic do much of anything? I've always used it it in my beef heart / turkey heart but is their a thread as to it's effectiveness in reducing or affecting internal parasites?

Years ago I stumbled upon an article of an experiment about garlic on parasites.
It was some of the American discus pioneers J.Watley or similar.
I remember that it showed positive results In treatment of hex. But the condition was that 50 % of the Bh mix must be fresh garlic and it had to be fed exclusively multiple times a day for 15 days straight.
Anything less then this % of garlic or duration of treatment proved non efficient.

I can't remember the link or reference.

DISCUS STU
11-25-2015, 12:14 PM
I always thought that adding garlic had a lot more to do with making the food taste better to the fish than anything else. I read somewhere that the amount of garlic it would take to kill intestinal parasites is way more than you would ever be able to get your fish to eat.

You could be right on this. I add the garlic juice, forget the brand, to my medicated beef heart to make it more palatable during treatment. That seems to do the trick.

bluelagoon
11-25-2015, 01:42 PM
Garlic seems to be good for reef tanks as well.

GrayLadyPat
11-25-2015, 08:02 PM
Interesting...

I've never used garlic or ginger or any other "spice" to treat parasites, and never even though of it as an aid. I've only used garlic to entice finicky fish to eat (works for other fish too, not just Discus.)

Akili
11-26-2015, 10:35 AM
I see, there goes that idea, lolDon't give that easy, there was a study done in aquaculture of
Rainbow trout by Masoud Haghighi and Mostafa Sharif Rohani of Iran. Conclusion:The results of this study indicate that powdered ginger
rhizome is able to enhance the non-specific immune response in rainbow trout. However, future studies might look into the dose-response, determination of optimal dose and duration treatment, and its use in large scales in fish farms. In general, this study suggests that ginger can be applied as an alternative diet and a supplement to boost immune system for rainbow trout.
Source :http://www.bluepenjournals.org/jmphtr/pdf/2013/May/Haghighi%20and%20Rohani.pdf

DISCUS STU
12-01-2015, 11:33 AM
Don't give that easy, there was a study done in aquaculture of
Rainbow trout by Masoud Haghighi and Mostafa Sharif Rohani of Iran. Conclusion:The results of this study indicate that powdered ginger
rhizome is able to enhance the non-specific immune response in rainbow trout. However, future studies might look into the dose-response, determination of optimal dose and duration treatment, and its use in large scales in fish farms. In general, this study suggests that ginger can be applied as an alternative diet and a supplement to boost immune system for rainbow trout.
Source :http://www.bluepenjournals.org/jmphtr/pdf/2013/May/Haghighi%20and%20Rohani.pdf

Very interesting. So as an immune booster as opposed to parasite eradicator.

Davidzil
12-06-2015, 11:05 AM
interesting possibilities

Akili
12-06-2015, 11:49 AM
Very interesting. So as an immune booster as opposed to parasite eradicator.here is one more study this time on trout The results of this study indicate that powdered ginger rhizome is able to enhance the non-specific immune response in rainbow trout http://www.bluepenjournals.org/jmphtr/pdf/2013/April/Haghighi%20and%20Rohani.pdf