PDA

View Full Version : Time sensitive question regarding a mistake I made.

Bouv
11-28-2015, 09:04 PM
Hello,

I am posting this here due to the wealth of authentic knowledge I have found within this forum, which is a rarity amongst the numerous forums regarding our hobby.

I have a 40B with some angel fish. I was concerned about the flow so I was installing a spray bar. Shortly after, I realized I had just done laundry, and had a small amount of dried liquid laundry detergent on my hands. How quickly will I see the effect this will have on my fish if it was a large enough quantity to harm them? I did a water change earlier today. I am in the transition of 100% RO for breeding purposes, but I do not feel good about doing another RO water change within one day. It was a very small amount, but I still am very concerned that I am about to loose ten platinums that are very hard to come by in my area. My main interest is the well being of the fish, I would like to not do another water change due to the hour of the evening and the consistency of their schedule, but if you all feel it is needed I will do so immediately.

Thank you,

Max

Keith Perkins
11-28-2015, 09:41 PM
I don't have a good answer for you about the laundry detergent, but I don't understand you not wanting to do a water change. It seems to me that would be cheap insurance on minimizing the possible affects of the laundry detergent.

John_Nicholson
11-28-2015, 10:21 PM
The fish are the only ones that can tell you the answer. Watch them and then make a decision. Also multiple water changes will not hurt fish. in fact they are good for them.

-john

Filip
11-29-2015, 06:28 PM
I would make a 90% Wc with whatever water parameters I had in the moment just to be on the safe side.
Although I think that small amount of chemicals diluted In 40 G can't do much harm on the fish.
but you can never be to carefull,so just do your WC and sleep calm.

SMB2
11-30-2015, 01:12 AM
"The solution to pollution is dilution. "

Filip
11-30-2015, 03:52 AM
"The solution to pollution is dilution. "

You couldn't have put it more poetic than this. :)

P.S. Your signature rocks :).

DISCUS STU
11-30-2015, 02:38 PM
More water changes can only help, also activated carbon may be helpful as well.

rickztahone
11-30-2015, 03:20 PM
Simple water changes will suffice. The more you can do, the better.