PDA

View Full Version : What wrong with my discus?

Sky817
11-29-2015, 09:44 AM
He is eating like a pig, I just notice this morning that his stomach looked concaved. 92242
What should I do??

Filip
11-29-2015, 06:12 PM
It looks like bloat to me. Cobalts are more suspectible to it.
It's treated with Epsom salt (MgSo4) one to two tablespoons per 10 gallons.

Sky817
11-29-2015, 10:14 PM
It looks like bloat to me. Cobalts are more suspectible to it.
It's treated with Epsom salt (MgSo4) one to two tablespoons per 10 gallons.

Thank for the reply. If it bloated why the back of stomach looked pinched in? Should i go ahead and do the whole tank treatment? This discus is the most agressive and tend to eat the most. He eat like a pig so maybe overate? How do i prevent this? Reduce feeding?

Filip
11-30-2015, 06:42 AM
Thank for the reply. If it bloated why the back of stomach looked pinched in? Should i go ahead and do the whole tank treatment? This discus is the most agressive and tend to eat the most. He eat like a pig so maybe overate? How do i prevent this? Reduce feeding?

1. Maybe it's a young or just thin discus with bloated stomach.
2. Yes you can treat the whole tank. It's only one day treat and it's harmless to plants,biofiltration and fish.
3.Probably he just overate.
4.Yes, you can feed more often with smaller portions.
Also if you feed dry granules /bits, presoak them couple of min. before feeding.

DISCUS STU
11-30-2015, 10:43 AM
Blue Diamonds have a tendency to constipation especially with flake and other prepared foods. Try the Epsom salts 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons, you can go to 2 per 10 gals. if necessary but it's always better to treat in a quarantine/hospital tank. A bb 10 gal. works fine for me.

If it's true bloat than Minocycline (Maracyn 2) works best in my experience, but don't jump the gun until you see if the fish passes what's blocking it up, it could take a day or two. With extreme constipation, not bloat, a secondary infection make occur and Kanamycin Sulfate with Epsom salts has worked for me.

Sky817
11-30-2015, 04:30 PM
Blue Diamonds have a tendency to constipation especially with flake and other prepared foods. Try the Epsom salts 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons, you can go to 2 per 10 gals. if necessary but it's always better to treat in a quarantine/hospital tank. A bb 10 gal. works fine for me.

If it's true bloat than Minocycline (Maracyn 2) works best in my experience, but don't jump the gun until you see if the fish passes what's blocking it up, it could take a day or two. With extreme constipation, not bloat, a secondary infection make occur and Kanamycin Sulfate with Epsom salts has worked for me.

Thank for the reply. I still don't get why the discus belly sunk in so much. Because the food don't pass there? The discus are well when I feed them. He seem active and doesn't hide. Color is still ok. I just dose it with 7 tsp of Epsom salt this morning and hope it work. Where do people buy the fish medicine because I search petsmart and petco but couldn't find any.

Ryan
12-01-2015, 09:50 AM
There's nothing wrong with him. I've seen several strains of discus like this with an indentation behind the stomach. I'm guessing they grow out of it because I never see adults with it, but I definitely have seen and currently have juvenile fish with it.

Chances are you're noticing it more because his stomach is full and so the area behind the stomach looks noticeably sunken. It's also much more noticeable on solid colored fish.

You could treat him for constipation with Epsom salt but it's probably unnecessary unless he's showing actual signs of being constipated (labored breathing, issues swimming, etc.).

Chicago Discus
12-01-2015, 10:14 AM
There's nothing wrong with him. I've seen several strains of discus like this with an indentation behind the stomach. I'm guessing they grow out of it because I never see adults with it, but I definitely have seen and currently have juvenile fish with it.

Chances are you're noticing it more because his stomach is full and so the area behind the stomach looks noticeably sunken. It's also much more noticeable on solid colored fish.

You could treat him for constipation with Epsom salt but it's probably unnecessary unless he's showing actual signs of being constipated (labored breathing, issues swimming, etc.).

+1 100%

Kyla
12-01-2015, 02:17 PM
i have seen several albino strains with these dents... the dents didnt seem to affect the fish's health... not sure whether it is a defect or not, tho (like for breeding purposes?)

warblad79
12-01-2015, 02:29 PM
I think what's wrong with your fish is, it's swimming vertically. I think that's the problem, they should be swimming horizontal most of the time.

Sky817
12-01-2015, 02:55 PM
Thank for all the reply. After the Epsom bath the dent started to fill up. Seem less noticeable now.

ericNH
12-02-2015, 12:56 AM
I think what's wrong with your fish is, it's swimming vertically. I think that's the problem, they should be swimming horizontal most of the time.

:laugh: i was gonna say the same thing - you beat me to it warblad79 :laugh:

warblad79
12-02-2015, 01:20 AM
One more thing I noticed, your tank wall is super dirty you might need to scrub that

Sky817
12-03-2015, 06:56 PM
One more thing I noticed, your tank wall is super dirty you might need to scrub that

Yeah I just clean the whole tank.. And the filter. How many more discus can I fit into this tank? 72gallon bowlfront

http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo23/sky817/Mobile%20Uploads/1F2DA1A7-8278-4511-A26A-B33F33F07D41_zpsyrebtfr5.jpg (http://s358.photobucket.com/user/sky817/media/Mobile%20Uploads/1F2DA1A7-8278-4511-A26A-B33F33F07D41_zpsyrebtfr5.jpg.html)