PDA

View Full Version : Winter water supply additives?

Zebes
11-30-2015, 10:43 AM
I've noticed in the past 3 years living here that the water changes in the winter. My occasionally washed cup I drink water from accumulates a white crust, the shower irritates my skin, etc. I noticed my discus have been hiding constantly in the past few days, and that the tds has jumped up ~50 ppm. I tried a few searches to determine what's added, but didn't turn up anything, then call the water authority if this post doesn't solve it.
I stopped aging my water since there was no change in pH dkh tds after 48 hours. I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with this, I'm on city water supply in Rochester ny. Would aging the water again solve this? Guess it depends what they add... Im hoping I don't have to use my ro/di unit, since my apartment water pressure is too low, and would involve driving to my parents and hauling buckets every night, but I will if it's necessary.

...on a side note, I've been changing so much water since starting the discus tank I accidentally added seachem safe out of habit to my coffee pot while bumbling around half asleep this morning...

Second Hand Pat
11-30-2015, 11:43 AM
...on a side note, I've been changing so much water since starting the discus tank I accidentally added seachem safe out of habit to my coffee pot while bumbling around half asleep this morning...
:laugh:

I would suggest aging your water before trying anything else.
Pat

Akili
11-30-2015, 12:18 PM
You should call Rochester Water Bureau and find out what time of the year it's water comes from which lake , I read that water in Rochester comes from three different lakes.Hemlock and Canadice Lakes and Lake Ontario

rickztahone
11-30-2015, 01:38 PM
I've noticed in the past 3 years living here that the water changes in the winter. My occasionally washed cup I drink water from accumulates a white crust, the shower irritates my skin, etc. I noticed my discus have been hiding constantly in the past few days, and that the tds has jumped up ~50 ppm. I tried a few searches to determine what's added, but didn't turn up anything, then call the water authority if this post doesn't solve it.
I stopped aging my water since there was no change in pH dkh tds after 48 hours. I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with this, I'm on city water supply in Rochester ny. Would aging the water again solve this? Guess it depends what they add... Im hoping I don't have to use my ro/di unit, since my apartment water pressure is too low, and would involve driving to my parents and hauling buckets every night, but I will if it's necessary.

Great new way to neutralize the coffee?

Zebes
11-30-2015, 01:42 PM
I believe it comes from Hemlock. I suppose I should just call them. I also was talking to the maintenance guy, he doesn't have a pressure regulator in his faucet and would let me hook my ro filter up there if need be. Thanks

Zebes
11-30-2015, 01:45 PM
Great new way to neutralize the coffee?

Haha I washed it out but I guess it couldn't hurt...I'm becoming a water changing programmed automaton...

Willie
12-04-2015, 05:54 PM
You could purchase an inline pump to increase water pressure if that's practical - since your water is essentially free. However, I would go back to conditioning your water, which is particularly useful in the winter.

DJW
12-04-2015, 06:41 PM
I have a booster pump that doubles the output of the RO, as well as lowering the TDS of the output. But you should know these pumps are pretty damn noisy...

Ioan C.
12-13-2015, 10:43 PM
Hi Zebes,
how about resins? For ex. Levatit S100 G1