PDA

View Full Version : Peat removal.

mkelly66
12-01-2015, 02:59 PM
Should I remove the peat bag from my HOT filter while I treat with Tetra's Parasite guard. I'm not running any charcoal. What do you guys think.?

jmf3460
12-01-2015, 03:20 PM
nah

strawberryblonde
12-01-2015, 04:12 PM
Wait, why are you treating with parasite guard???

mkelly66
12-01-2015, 05:36 PM
Its what I had available and I just wanted to treat worms and parasites ect.. They are a hodge podge mix, from different LFS's and mixed. I know made some mistakes but now they are doing OK. They settled after a week or so and now I wanted to treat. Prior to treating I was doing 75-90% water changes daily. Once I treated them they have all started to eat like savages! So now I am just following the directions for a full course of treatment, and was wondering if I should remove the peat.

Mike Kelly

strawberryblonde
12-01-2015, 07:23 PM
Ok, well, you seem determined to medicate them, so at this point I can't offer much in the way of advice. Just a week or so ago we all spent time helping you set up your tank and water changes to help them recover from the bad conditions at your LFS. The recommendation was to just change lots of water and give them time to build up their immune systems.

If you choose to use a parasite guard type med on them, remember that because they are still recovering and because they are so small, they may not tolerate it well at all. The first sign of problems tolerating the medication will be fast breathing and reddened or swollen gills.

I have no recommendations on the peat since I don't use it in my tanks. I try not to add anything to my tank that will lower the pH since I do daily water changes.