PDA

View Full Version : Holy plant growth

jmf3460
12-04-2015, 12:13 PM
Not a discus tank but the plant grown in this little 10 gallon is remarkable. This tank gets no ferts, no co2, no liquid co2 no root tabs nothing. and gets a 2 gallon water change every month ish. It does awesome! Has too many neocardina shrimp to count and 14 chili rasboras. its beside our bed so its what I stare at when im going to bed.

may of 2014

jan of 2015

april of 2015

now

ericNH
12-04-2015, 12:44 PM
wow that's a cool little tank! Amazing how you've done this with no root tabs, ferts, or anything sepcial. Maintenance must be a breeze! Very cool.

jmf3460
12-04-2015, 01:59 PM
wow that's a cool little tank! Amazing how you've done this with no root tabs, ferts, or anything sepcial. Maintenance must be a breeze! Very cool.

hanks Eric. Its so funny bc I do a water change in this tank in less than 5 minutes normally.

Debow
12-04-2015, 06:03 PM
I have a nano reef in our bed room its nice to watch from bed. Even my wife likes it. It's nice to have smaller fun tanks.

Filip
12-04-2015, 06:12 PM
Nice and relaxing 10 G Jacklyn.Although it has gotten out of control with growth .
I like it better on the first pic , when it was cleaner and more organized.

P.S. i also got a 4-G relaxing nano and its amazing sometimes how fast and luxurious it has grown with allmost no maintenance.
Now with my new discus maintenance its pitch dark from the jungle and plants and i have no energy to cleane it and rearange it .

jmf3460
01-05-2016, 10:59 AM
another series of plant growth here in my 20L planted tank. this is a low tech, almost no tech tank, it gets monthly waterchanges and root tabs once every year or so. I have just added some apistos to this tank so water change schedule will be changing drastically. fauna: 3 apistogramma agassizi, 12 lemon tetras, 1 albino ancistrus female midget, amano shrimp too many to count. flora: anubias, dwarf sag, cryptocoryne pontederiifolia (my favorite crypt of all time notice the runner at the very front of the tank in the last picture) filter is an aquatop PFE6 HOB, its a uv capable hob filter but I don't have a uv light in it, its a decent little hob but I would not buy one again.

7/27/2014 beginning of tank, dwarf sag prominent crypts in back are barely seen

skip ahead almost one year to 4/9/2015

yesterday 1-4-2015

ericNH
01-05-2016, 01:03 PM
Thanks for sharing jmf3460. lately i've been turning my attention towards the little potted plants in my tank, so seeing your planted tanks thrive inspires me to work harder at keeping my plants clean and happy. good luck! today i am going to remove all the potted plants in my tank and attempt to clean them all off with a bleach solution. i've been trimming the algae-ridden leaves off instead of cleaning them, and now i'm afraid it's a losing battle. if i keep trimming there will soon be no leaves left at all! so my new plan of attack is to take them out, clean them in bleach solution, and let them sit in my qt for a couple of days untill all the chlorine gasses out. i hope they'll come back and look like yours one day :)

rickztahone
01-05-2016, 01:16 PM
Jacklyn, from this angle it looks like your background is black:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=93230&d=1452005781

Have you considered chaning it to black? It really makes everything pop from that angle. Very nice growth BTW

jmf3460
01-05-2016, 02:54 PM
Jacklyn, from this angle it looks like your background is black: Have you considered chaning it to black? It really makes everything pop from that angle. Very nice growth BTW

thanks ricardo, its a dark dark blue background that's just taped on the sides of the back of the tank. it constantly comes done and undone in the humidity of my basement. black would look better I agree bc from that one angle it does look black and it looks sleeker like you say. I will have to invest in a black one now.

jmf3460
01-05-2016, 02:56 PM
Thanks for sharing jmf3460. lately i've been turning my attention towards the little potted plants in my tank, so seeing your planted tanks thrive inspires me to work harder at keeping my plants clean and happy. good luck! today i am going to remove all the potted plants in my tank and attempt to clean them all off with a bleach solution. i've been trimming the algae-ridden leaves off instead of cleaning them, and now i'm afraid it's a losing battle. if i keep trimming there will soon be no leaves left at all! so my new plan of attack is to take them out, clean them in bleach solution, and let them sit in my qt for a couple of days untill all the chlorine gasses out. i hope they'll come back and look like yours one day :)

good luck eric, if you have algae growing on the leaves of your plants it is probably a lighting issue. you may have too strong of a light for your plants needs, or leave it on too long or have it too close to the substrate. lighting has contributed to over 90% of my issues with plants in the past.

rickztahone
01-05-2016, 04:28 PM
thanks ricardo, its a dark dark blue background that's just taped on the sides of the back of the tank. it constantly comes done and undone in the humidity of my basement. black would look better I agree bc from that one angle it does look black and it looks sleeker like you say. I will have to invest in a black one now.

Just paint it and be done with it! :)

You can roll on paint, or you can add a tint to it as well. Super easy, super cheap. If you ever want to get rid of the painted back, simply scrape it off with a razor.

Jack L
01-05-2016, 10:21 PM
like your tanks!

amano too many to count????

are they breeding?

jmf3460
01-06-2016, 09:35 AM
like your tanks! amano too many to count???? are they breeding?

no not breeding, ive just had them so long I have no idea how many are in there at this point. I buy more occasionally at my LFS when they get in jumbo ones and over several years ive lost count of how many I've bought.

jmf3460
11-21-2016, 10:16 AM
THis little 10gallon continues to grow and fill in. Its getting pretty crowded in there but still beautiful.

Debow
11-21-2016, 04:57 PM
I think it looks great, like the thick dense look.

jmf3460
11-21-2016, 05:00 PM
Thanks Devon!

Phillydubs
11-21-2016, 05:27 PM
looks awesome! So full! Makes the tank look way bigger than 10 gallon!

Jack L
11-21-2016, 10:49 PM
really like it!
you are having better luck than i am with plants

jmf3460
11-22-2016, 09:05 AM
looks awesome! So full! Makes the tank look way bigger than 10 gallon!

thanks Phil, I agree the plants add a lot of depth making it seem deeper and wider than 10gallons. my bedside tank so its such a great view to fall asleep to

jmf3460
11-22-2016, 09:06 AM
really like it!
you are having better luck than i am with plants

jack thanks, I think you have great luck, especially with your jungle vals

Second Hand Pat
11-22-2016, 09:20 AM
Cute little tank Jacklyn. :D If I wanted to try something like this what would I need?
Pat

jmf3460
11-22-2016, 10:15 AM
Cute little tank Jacklyn. :D If I wanted to try something like this what would I need?
Pat

this is a super low maintenance tank pat. I am shocked at how well it does actually. here are the hardware
standard 10g tank
aqueon hood with the two little bulbs like this http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/fish/fish-tank-hoods-lighting/replacement-aquarium-bulbs/aqueon-clear-incandescent-bulb
aqua clear HOB filter, the smallest one I think rated for 10-20 gallons
submersible heater

believe it or not, all the plants in here are in pots (mason jelly jars) except the anubias, buce and java fern which are attached to wood or rocks. that allows me to have sand substrate which I find easier to clean.

I do not add ferts, I do maybe one water change per month, sometimes longer, although I do top off with maybe a quart of water every week due to evaporation

in the tank is one ottocinclus, tons of cherry shrimp, and some cherry rasboras although I am about to add some white clouds and replace the rasboras. I need something a little bigger to do more population control on the shrimp.

woopaul5
11-24-2016, 02:52 AM
Thanks for sharing. Makes me want to do a planted tank again...

Second Hand Pat
11-24-2016, 08:29 AM
this is a super low maintenance tank pat. I am shocked at how well it does actually. here are the hardware
standard 10g tank
aqueon hood with the two little bulbs like this http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/fish/fish-tank-hoods-lighting/replacement-aquarium-bulbs/aqueon-clear-incandescent-bulb
aqua clear HOB filter, the smallest one I think rated for 10-20 gallons
submersible heater

believe it or not, all the plants in here are in pots (mason jelly jars) except the anubias, buce and java fern which are attached to wood or rocks. that allows me to have sand substrate which I find easier to clean.

I do not add ferts, I do maybe one water change per month, sometimes longer, although I do top off with maybe a quart of water every week due to evaporation

in the tank is one ottocinclus, tons of cherry shrimp, and some cherry rasboras although I am about to add some white clouds and replace the rasboras. I need something a little bigger to do more population control on the shrimp.

Thanks Jacklyn, food for thought :)
Pat