PDA

View Full Version : fish moving gravel

oliverk
12-04-2015, 02:54 PM
Ok so I have planted tank with deadwood. In some places I like to vary the slope of the gravel even to partially burying some of the deadwood in order to give some interest to the tank bottom.

Well it seems my discus don't particularly like this and quickly move the gravel...... They also seem to like to unbury my air hose lines placed under plastic screen and then covered..... soon the screen is on the bottom and the lines are floating.

Any thoughts to keep things in place.....

jmf3460
12-04-2015, 02:58 PM
are you oliver knott??

pitdogg2
12-04-2015, 05:36 PM
Cichlids move rocks plain and simple. If I was a bored fish in a glass room you better believe I'd rearrange daily:) I once had a Dovii that would stack all the rock up in front to build a curtain into his tank so to speak. He would go through all means to carefully make sure the rock went to the top of the glass so you could not see him.

strawberryblonde
12-04-2015, 06:43 PM
If you've got a discus with personality who likes to move gravel and play with airline tubing, there's not one darned thing you can do to make him stop.

I learned the hard way when I had a discus that liked to uproot my plants the minute the lights went out at night. I removed the plants and he then moved on to nudging the glass thermometer off the wall so he could nudge it around the top of the water. He was hopeless! No matter what I did, he always manged to find something to "play" with in the tank. LOL

oliverk
12-06-2015, 01:28 AM
Sigh Not encouraging but could be the facts of life.... the hose maybe a broader spread of mesh - at least a bigger job but the other sigh

jmf3460
12-06-2015, 08:42 PM
are you oliver knott?

strawberryblonde
12-06-2015, 09:45 PM
You could always switch to sand, which is better for the discus anyways. Discus tend to root around in the hunt for food (they LOVE looking for food on the bottom). If it's just sand, they don't disturb it because the food lays neatly on top of it where they can find it easily.