PDA

View Full Version : I think I over dosed on prime

jim LI
12-09-2015, 06:55 PM
I was doing a 50% water chance from the tap, which i always do. ihave a 72 gallon bow front. after adding about half the water back in, I realized i didn't put prime in. i grabbed the bottle and just poured some in, i know it was more than the normal dosage. after a minute all the discus went to the top of the tank gulping air, i check all the parameters PH - 7, 0 ammonia - 0 nitrites - 0 nitrate - 5. the fish were still gasping after 15 minutes, so i did another 50% change. I saw on online that too much prime can bind the oxygen in the tank. will doing the new water change get oxygen back into the tank before more harm comes to the fish?

thanks, in panic.

strawberryblonde
12-09-2015, 07:25 PM
Yup, a water change will help. The other thing you can do is add an extra air stone to the tank for an hour or two. Prime dissipates fairly quickly from my own firsthand experience.

Want a good laugh while your panicking? In my very first tank in this new century, I set it all up, cycled it, added fish and did a large water change the next morning. I added 10 times the proper dose of Prime! The writing on the back is quite small, and I'm quite old, so I misread the label. Next day, did the same thing. By the end of the week the water was turning quite cloudy. And something just clicked, so I got out my strongest reading glasses and sat under bright lights and read the dosage again.

Those poor fish were so overdosed on Prime every day that it's a wonder they didn't hail a cab and head back to the fish store!

But none of them were harmed at all. They actually didn't even seem stressed, but that might be because it was a community tank of fish and I had 3 air stones running in it to begin with AND it was a lower temp tank.

jim LI
12-09-2015, 07:31 PM
strawberryblonde - Thanks for the reply. I have 1 - 18 inch air wand in there now. I will add a second one.

Thanks

Jack L
12-09-2015, 08:04 PM
Yup, a water change will help. The other thing you can do is add an extra air stone to the tank for an hour or two. Prime dissipates fairly quickly from my own firsthand experience.

Want a good laugh while your panicking? In my very first tank in this new century, I set it all up, cycled it, added fish and did a large water change the next morning. I added 10 times the proper dose of Prime! The writing on the back is quite small, and I'm quite old, so I misread the label. Next day, did the same thing. By the end of the week the water was turning quite cloudy. And something just clicked, so I got out my strongest reading glasses and sat under bright lights and read the dosage again.

Those poor fish were so overdosed on Prime every day that it's a wonder they didn't hail a cab and head back to the fish store!

But none of them were harmed at all. They actually didn't even seem stressed, but that might be because it was a community tank of fish and I had 3 air stones running in it to begin with AND it was a lower temp tank.

and here we have it, CLEAR proof that too many WC can be bad ; )

DJW
12-09-2015, 08:33 PM

Yep, WC's can be deadly... killed a bunch of fry one time. I had the flu and a fever :sick2: and got up early in the morning and did a 90% water change with fresh 60 degree water and killed all but one. But the guy that survived was one tough SOB.

strawberryblonde
12-09-2015, 10:05 PM

ROFLMBO! Too many WC's is only bad if you a) can't read the label on a new product or b) have the flu and add 60 degree water.

ericNH
12-10-2015, 02:56 AM

LOL! Thanks for the laugh :)

Good luck to you and your fish jim LI

jim LI
12-10-2015, 03:02 PM
hi all, to update. all the discus survived the night and are acting normal now. eating as well.

thanks

Phillydubs
12-10-2015, 04:13 PM
Jim,

Where in Nassau are you? PM me if you would like, I am in Nassau as well and always happy to swap info and be of assistance if ever needed... Let me know... I am in Oceanside