PDA

View Full Version : Planted/barebottom tank

Zebes
12-10-2015, 07:27 AM
I don't think barebottom looks bad at all, but I do like having plants in my tanks, but think pots look unnatural. I had an idea to put in a strip of acrylic about an inch or two around the back and sides filled with sand as a kind of planter box. I was pretty happy with myself and my great idea, and mentioned it to the owner of the lfs. He already did it Years ago, but also included a slanted bottom piece that collects waste in the front for easy collection. Maybe it's not a new idea, but I think it sounds great as a compromise for people that want a planted tank, and wanted to share

Second Hand Pat
12-10-2015, 08:54 AM
Ask Toni (strawberryblonde) about her squishy pot and hide the squishy pot behind some driftwood. It has a lot smaller footprint then a pot but serves the same purpose. :)
Pat

Filip
12-10-2015, 09:05 AM
I don't think barebottom looks bad at all, but I do like having plants in my tanks, but think pots look unnatural. I had an idea to put in a strip of acrylic about an inch or two around the back and sides filled with sand as a kind of planter box. I was pretty happy with myself and my great idea, and mentioned it to the owner of the lfs. He already did it Years ago, but also included a slanted bottom piece that collects waste in the front for easy collection. Maybe it's not a new idea, but I think it sounds great as a compromise for people that want a planted tank, and wanted to share

I like the idea.
I just can't understand the slanted bottom concept?
What kind of a bottom is that?

Zebes
12-10-2015, 09:49 PM
On the top edge of tge back strip of acrylic, he bonded a piece that slanted down to the front edge, where waste food and feces collected. I'm always netting out poo between water changes, meticulously trying to capture every particle lol, I'm going to set this up on my next tank that I don't have room for