PDA

View Full Version : rafflesia x cobalt cross?

fishguy456
12-14-2015, 12:04 AM
Has anyone ever tried this/ could the combo work? my cobalt and rafflesia have started to pair off (they are both around 4.5") lots of fin fluttering pectoral fins flared and dancing. I know the rafflesia is pb but is the cobalt? If the pairing would be bad then I would just let nature take its course but if not then I fell like the pairing would turn out quite nice.

warblad79
12-14-2015, 12:33 AM
I believe you already been given a advice before and I think remember all people responded told you the same thing, you're not suppose to breed pigeon base to non pigeon because the outcome is undesirable ugly fish.

fishguy456
12-14-2015, 12:53 AM
Yes, I understand that, the previous post was about a leopard and rafflesia. the main question of this post was wether or not the cobalt is a pb.. sorry if I was unclear in original post. Know what I am doing with discus for the most part, but when it comes to breeding I know close to nothing and I have found this place to be a wealth of knowledge.

Ryan
12-14-2015, 01:44 AM
Cobalts are not pigeon-based.

fishguy456
12-14-2015, 10:59 AM
Cobalts are not pigeon-based.

Thanks thats all I needed to know :)

SNap0283
12-15-2015, 04:22 PM
Based on the size of your fish (4.5) and they are healthy and from a good source, they are probably still some ways off from breeding age. But I get it you are excited at the potential. Give us a list of your fish and we can tell you which are pb and which are not.

fishguy456
12-15-2015, 04:42 PM
Based on the size of your fish (4.5) and they are healthy and from a good source, they are probably still some ways off from breeding age. But I get it you are excited at the potential. Give us a list of your fish and we can tell you which are pb and which are not.
Thank you! but for the most part I know now I think,
Raffleasia: PB
Cobalt: Not PB
Eruption Leopard: not PB
Classic Leopard: not PB
White butterfly: PB
Is there a thread that outlines the difference in strains between PB and NonPB? Ive become very interested in the genetics of these guys.

SNap0283
12-15-2015, 05:14 PM
You have all of that correct. There is a ton of info on PB's scattered all over the forums. Once you learn what to look for identifying a PB just takes a simple 2 second glance at the fish. I don't know a ton about the genetics but they are fairly complex, only partially understood and extremely interesting.

DISCUS STU
12-15-2015, 05:23 PM
If this is your first time with a breeding opportunity then I would say go for it. It's good to get the experience. The results may be unpredictable but interesting. Your call.

Then again, while many Discus may display breeding behavior it often may not add up to anything other than that, or some "flirting". They can do this frequently w/o getting down to anything. Pairing and laying eggs may or may not come of it.

Ryan
12-15-2015, 05:50 PM
If your fish has traditional vertical black stress bars (commonly there are 9 but sometimes 10 - 14 of them) they are likely non-pigeon. The reason I say 'likely' is because some of the line-bred pigeons do have faint stress bars, but they won't be as dark or as bold as non-PB.

Pigeons almost always come in bright red, yellow, orange, or white. Striated pigeons will have a bright base color overlapped by bright white markings. In some cases (like good quality white butterflies) the white covers over completely leaving only the characteristic orange/yellow pigeon face. In a lot of cases, mature pigeons also have black tails. Again, it's not an absolute because some of the fancier varieties of pigeons have been bred so clean that they don't show black anywhere.

Rather than having vertical bars, pigeons will show peppering when stressed. It appears as black dusting under the chin, on the face, and sometimes the body as well if they're not very clean pigeons.

Then you have a lot of non-PB fish who break the rules. Blue diamonds, true barless San Merah, ghost-based types (golden caps, nebula), and Snow White types (snow whites, red whites, yellow whites, koi, snow leopards) are all examples of fish which lack stress bars but are not actually classified as pigeons.

rickztahone
12-15-2015, 07:18 PM
If your fish has traditional vertical black stress bars (commonly there are 9 but sometimes 10 - 14 of them) they are likely non-pigeon. The reason I say 'likely' is because some of the line-bred pigeons do have faint stress bars, but they won't be as dark or as bold as non-PB.

Pigeons almost always come in bright red, yellow, orange, or white. Striated pigeons will have a bright base color overlapped by bright white markings. In some cases (like good quality white butterflies) the white covers over completely leaving only the characteristic orange/yellow pigeon face. In a lot of cases, mature pigeons also have black tails. Again, it's not an absolute because some of the fancier varieties of pigeons have been bred so clean that they don't show black anywhere.

Rather than having vertical bars, pigeons will show peppering when stressed. It appears as black dusting under the chin, on the face, and sometimes the body as well if they're not very clean pigeons.

Then you have a lot of non-PB fish who break the rules. Blue diamonds, true barless San Merah, ghost-based types (golden caps, nebula), and Snow White types (snow whites, red whites, yellow whites, koi, snow leopards) are all examples of fish which lack stress bars but are not actually classified as pigeons.

I wish I could sticky this one solitary post Ryan :)

fishguy456
12-15-2015, 07:49 PM
This is all very helpful thanks everyone! more than I expected as always with this forum!