PDA

View Full Version : Eating Behavior

jeff12
12-14-2015, 07:03 PM
I am feeding my juveniles Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef flakes. They aren't that alert when they eat like they slowly swim up to the surface and swim around the flakes. They like to wait until the flakes fall, thats when they start eating. But since some of the flakes are big, they take it in and spit it our and eat the smaller pieces. Is this normal behavior? I try to feed them 3 times a day but they don't seem that hungry. How do I get them to eat more? Also they also nip each others.

Akili
12-14-2015, 08:29 PM
Discus have hearty appetites and fish will accept a variety of foods. Even though your Discus are consuming flakes you should not make it the focus of their feeding.Increasing the water's temperature by a few degrees will stimulate their appetite.

jeff12
12-14-2015, 11:36 PM
Discus have hearty appetites and fish will accept a variety of foods. Even though your Discus are consuming flakes you should not make it the focus of their feeding.Increasing the water's temperature by a few degrees will stimulate their appetite.

Is frozen/live foods better and essential for growouts? Like does it make them grow faster?

Akili
12-15-2015, 12:14 AM
Is frozen/live foods better and essential for growouts? Like does it make them grow faster?Don't know about growing them faster but to grow healthy and fairly large in due time one needs to feed high protein foods.I feed 100% beef heart (shredded),beef heart mix,Hikari frozen bloodworms,Hikari frozen brine shrimps,Freeze Dried Australian Black worms and Hikari Discus Bio-Gold pellets.

rickztahone
12-15-2015, 12:39 AM
Don't know about growing them faster but to grow healthy and fairly large in due time one needs to feed high protein foods.I feed 100% beef heart (shredded),beef heart mix,Hikari frozen bloodworms,Hikari frozen brine shrimps,Freeze Dried Australian Black worms and Hikari Discus Bio-Gold pellets.

Agreed. You want a food with a lot of protein, and that is what beefheart provides. The other foods should be supplimental, the only exception is FDBW. I consider that a staple food as well with other foods being secondary.

jeff12
12-15-2015, 02:51 AM
Agreed. You want a food with a lot of protein, and that is what beefheart provides. The other foods should be supplimental, the only exception is FDBW. I consider that a staple food as well with other foods being secondary.

I will eventually feed them the live/frozen foods but how many cubes do you feed a day?

There is one in my tank that doesn't eat but he doesnt let the others eat either. He bites them when they try to eat the food near him. He just stares at the wall.

So do like it when the food is submerged? They go crazy once it gets submerged.

rickztahone
12-15-2015, 01:35 PM
I will eventually feed them the live/frozen foods but how many cubes do you feed a day?

There is one in my tank that doesn't eat but he doesnt let the others eat either. He bites them when they try to eat the food near him. He just stares at the wall.

So do like it when the food is submerged? They go crazy once it gets submerged.

What do you mean by submerged? The food has to be submerged to be eaten? Or, do you mean soaking the food first? If so, it depends on what you are soaking.

As far as how much to feed a day? You want to provide enough food so that they finish right around the 15 minute mark after feeding. If there is a lot left over after that, then you need to feed less.

jeff12
12-15-2015, 05:52 PM
What do you mean by submerged? The food has to be submerged to be eaten? Or, do you mean soaking the food first? If so, it depends on what you are soaking.

As far as how much to feed a day? You want to provide enough food so that they finish right around the 15 minute mark after feeding. If there is a lot left over after that, then you need to feed less.

Like its difficult to eat the flakes when they are at the surface. They like it when the flakes sink.

How do I get rid of the biting?

rickztahone
12-15-2015, 06:16 PM
Like its difficult to eat the flakes when they are at the surface. They like it when the flakes sink.

How do I get rid of the biting?

When I feed flakes, I ALWAYS put them under the water line so that they go straight down. I never sprinkle them on the top even though I have a feeder station.

What kind of biting are you refering to? Are you saying they are fighting for food? If so, they are cichlids and should show some level of aggression.

jeff12
12-15-2015, 10:05 PM
In general, they nip on the face and body but during eating there is one that bites more during feeding. If the food falls near him, he won't let the others eat it but he doesn't eat it either. He is kind of in his own corner. The others nip each other but the continue to eat with each other.

Jack L
12-15-2015, 10:35 PM
i gave up trying to feed mine flake, they did what you said, and more of it when down the overflows than into their bellies. but when i gave them food they like, it was a night and day difference. to make use of the flake, i mixed into my beefheart mix.

mine nit at each other all the time, some more aggressive then others. i think its normal

Jack L
12-15-2015, 10:37 PM
In general, they nip on the face and body but during eating there is one that bites more during feeding. If the food falls near him, he won't let the others eat it but he doesn't eat it either. He is kind of in his own corner. The others nip each other but the continue to eat with each other.

we had one that did exactly this for a while, was a bully, and not even that big. it also staked out a claim under some wood, and relentlessly defended it. it eventually mellowed out, months later.

jeff12
12-16-2015, 04:08 AM
Should I worry about the bully? He is kind of dark and not eating.

Jack L
12-16-2015, 10:05 AM
Should I worry about the bully? He is kind of dark and not eating.

Others may feel differently, but I just observe, when ever I see one acting odd I do check the water parameter. Double check temp and make a note with a date for reference. If everything seems normal I ride it out and resist the well meaning but destructive practice of trying to fix it with meds.