PDA

View Full Version : What operating system do you use?

brewmaster15
12-16-2015, 07:25 AM
Hello all,
Im interested in what operating systems you all are using. Though not directly discus related....It does relate to the forum so thats why I made it a general thread here.

Do you use Windows, if so what version (s), macs?, Linux (which Distros?).

Do you use tablets or maybe just Smart phones?

If you use Windows, have you taken the "free" upgrade to Win 10? Like it? What are your thoughts on it being "The last windows version microsoft will ever make"

Lets have some Tech Talk in Discus Land with this one

Thanks,
AL

brewmaster15
12-16-2015, 07:31 AM
I added a poll where you can select multiple options.

brewmaster15
12-16-2015, 07:34 AM
My main systems are android smart phone (galaxy S5) and I use linux on my laptops and desktop Pc. I have used or tried all versions of windows except win 10 at one point or another and always wind up back to Linux.Currently my Linux distro of choice is "Mint".
Al

Discus-n00b
12-16-2015, 12:29 PM
I'm using Windows 10 Pro (though I will surf on smartphone occasionally, Apple). I absolutely LOVE Windows 10. It's probably my favorite Windows system in years. By far the easiest installation I've done on a Windows machine. I hated hated hated hated Windows 8 with a passion. So much so that I refused to rent out our laptops (I work in corporate Audio Visual) with 8 installed on them. I couldn't figure it out why am I going to let a client fumble with it? I was running Vista or 7 up until 10 came along. To me, 10 takes the best of 7 and a SMALL touch of 8 and combines it. I still have the whole 8 app center/system but it's not my main home screen or something I have to navigate through. I can navigate like any old Windows system.

I've only been using 10 for a few months now, I haven't explored it as much as I want to. However so far, it is by far, the best Windows OS I've used. No bugs, no issues with automatic updates, no problems like some people seem to have. I bought the OS retail version since I was doing a clean install on a new machine. Cost was the same as having to buy a new box of 7 and taking the free upgrade so I just bought it straight out.

dragon1974
12-16-2015, 12:47 PM
I' in IT and I I've seen all of them and now I really don't care LOL. I use MS but I can use Linus or android. I hate the apple juice (actually bootcamping a Mac as I type).

I don't know they all have +'s and -'s

rickztahone
12-16-2015, 12:49 PM
Windows 7 and Android phone (Galaxy Note 4)

brewmaster15
12-16-2015, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the post Matt! Im wondering how it all plays out with windows once the free upgrade period goes by.. .. Windows says its the last version they are making and after that it will just keep evolving (my words) but they won't be releasing any new Versions . Trying to figure out how they can make money on that and continue to drive the software forward if They aren't selling new versions. I'm wondering if instead of new versions they are going to move to a yearly subscription like they have with xbox... seems to me the only way to do it and be profitable...The downside would be the yearly subscription....pure speculation on my part, I also wonder how the new direction microsoft is taking will affect non- Ms software...seems their job will be harder to keep up with upgrades and patches.

al

warblad79
12-16-2015, 12:56 PM
I tried all different flavors of OS since I worked in the IT, I used to build corporate images for the company and I test the new OS before we deploy them.

Win 10 Pro
Win 7 64 bit ultimate
Win 7 64 bit Enterprise Edition
Mac OS
Android Lollipop

nc0gnet0
12-16-2015, 03:08 PM
"The last windows version microsoft will ever make"

Windows says its the last version they are making and after that it will just keep evolving

Didn't they once say they could never imagine a computer needing more that 384k of RAM? I would bet my retirement account they come up with a new one.

I get what your saying about the yearly subscription, but don't see how it could play out in Corporate America. I have a work computer with windows 10, seems ok so far, but I don't do much on it, other than spreadsheets and word processing.

I use Windows on my pc's, and apple on my tablets and cell phone.

Ejacob
12-16-2015, 06:01 PM
I have both windows 10 and Ubuntu Linux on my desktop and Xubuntu Linux on my laptop. If I didn't enjoy playing an occasional game, I'd likely not use Windows.

brewmaster15
12-17-2015, 10:22 PM
Bump!

jim LI
12-18-2015, 09:53 AM
Windows 7 home edition

Kyla
12-18-2015, 06:47 PM
i use an apple iphone to browse the forum. i think that might be why i cant see a lot of the attachments/pics?

Keith Perkins
12-18-2015, 07:32 PM
Well there's Linux Mint on the machine I'm on here most often with. The phone is an Android and any other secondary laptop I log on with is Windows 7. Windows 10 spends way too much time communicating with Microsoft for my tastes, so no "upgrades" for me.

brewmaster15
12-18-2015, 07:44 PM
Well there's Linux Mint on the machine I'm on here most often with. The phone is an Android and any other secondary laptop I log on with is Windows 7. Windows 10 spends way too much time communicating with Microsoft for my tastes, so no "upgrades" for me.

Mint...oh yeah!:)

Keith Perkins
12-18-2015, 11:15 PM
Mint...oh yeah!:)

To be perfectly honest, the same work IT guy that swore me off Windows 10 is the guy who loaded Mint on this machine. Just saying I don't get all the credit for using Mint. It sure boots up and shuts down a helluva lot faster than Windows though, and it seems to be about bullet proof viruses wise. Yup, it's a keeper.