PDA

View Full Version : New to hobby and super excited!

davidson429
12-17-2015, 06:15 PM
Hey all!

Whats going on? So excited I stumbled upon this forum while looking into my new favorite fish! I have always been interested into setting up my own fish tank and after a few years of the interest I am finally taking the first step and getting a tank. At first I wanted to have a salt water set up, but then I came across the Discus and that changed quickly! As of right now I plan on getting a 55 gallon tank this weekend, or this 60 gallon tank set with stand I found on sale. I am going to go the bare bottom route since I am new to this. I plan on keeping 4 discus, will probably start off with 2 and then get the remaining 2 in the near future. If i were to put some sort of substrate is a bottom feeder necessary? Also what bottom feeders would go best with the discus? Also if i just go bare bottom would some decorations be ok just to get a little something in there? Very excited to start this adventure and happy I found this forum!

Akili
12-17-2015, 06:22 PM
Welcome to SimplyDiscus, Get four right off the back.Save yourself the two time quarantine period.

warblad79
12-17-2015, 06:56 PM
Always get a group of 6 at the same time because they are schooling fish. Also keep in mind Discus require a lot of water changes and keep it simple as possible because too much decorations could cause injuries.

Filip
12-17-2015, 07:05 PM
Hi Davidson . 4 is not a good number of discus to buy , becouse of their agression among each others and their pecking order they establish(Hierarchy).
Many here start with 6 discus, as a best minimal number , and they buy them all at once from one source , to avoid possible risks of cross-contamination.

1. If you are a discus first timer, barebottom would be the most user friendly set-up for you to maintain regular daily waterchanges and siphoning remainings and poop.
2. You can put some driftwood with plant attached to it or couple of plants in a little pots if bare tank is too much for your eyes to handle.
3. You dont need a bottom feeder.

Welcome and good luck.

afriend
12-17-2015, 07:15 PM
Davidson,

Welcome to the forum. My recommendation is to wait awhile before getting any fish or set up your tank. Spend this time using the search function on the SD forum to research more about what and how to keep discus. Start with the Stickies in the beginners section. Please don't make the same mistakes I did several years ago. You can use the Private Message feature on the form if you want, and I'll help you if I can.

Paul

discuspaul
12-17-2015, 07:43 PM
Welcome to simply discus, Davidson.

Yes, please do some more homework before 'sticking both feet in the water'.
It's important to feel very comfortable with what you're doing in order to be successful keeping discus.

Before delving into the Stickies here in the Discus Basics for Beginners Section, you could start with this primer summary:

D-I-S-C-U-S - 6 CARDINAL RULES FOR NEWBIES TO FOLLOW

First I'd just like to mention once again that discus are hardier than many people think, and are not difficult to keep, so long as one is prepared to accept and adhere to a few key practices that will provide the best chances of success with discus.

This listing is recorded more or less in order of importance:

1) - D - Do your homework well before delving into discus. Read and research all you can beforehand. Googling will certainly help, as well as spending a good deal of time reading the posts and threads on the simplydiscus.com forum, particularly the stickies in their 'Discus Basics' section, which will provide you with much of the material you need to digest.

2) - I - Investigate and learn of the best sources to get your discus stock. Find those breeders &/or importers that are long time, well-experienced, responsible, reputable, and known to supply high quality, healthy, and well-shaped discus. Buy your discus from one of these sources in order to insure that you get off on the best footing possible.
This is the single, most important factor in succeeding with discus.
Check out the sponsors section here on SD to find high quality discus suppliers.

3) - S - Set up and plan to follow a strict regular routine of fresh water changes, tank wipe-downs and cleansing, vacuuming of wastes, and regular filter and media cleaning, changes, replacements, and maintenance. Be fully prepared for the kind of commitment it takes to produce and maintain the highest water quality and conditions that you can.

4) - C - Carefully consider the type of tank set up you start with. Make sure the tank size is ample enough to start with 5 or 6 discus. Don't be tempted to begin with a tank of less than 55 or 60 gallons, and don't try to justify going smaller by just getting 1, 2, 3, or 4 discus for cost or other reasons.
Wait till you have sufficient resources to get a proper-sized tank, and the suitable size and number of fish to insure continuing good health and harmonious discus sociability.
Do not start with small, undersized, very juvenile fish which have not yet developed a more mature immune system, are more demanding to raise properly, and much more prone to health problems and other issues. Get fish of at least 3.0" in size, preferably larger.

5) - U - Undertake to start off with a bare bottom tank, unless you're getting fully adult fish and have previous good experience with maintaining a planted tank. If you must have some decor, limit yourself to a very thin sand substrate layer, and perhaps a piece of driftwood with just a couple of small plants attached, or one or two potted plants.
Once you gain several months' of experience getting to know your discus' traits & behavior, and your discus get larger, then you may proceed to an aquascaped environment. Feed a varied diet, several times a day, and learn which foods will achieve a nutritious diet, by researching.

6) - S - Simplify. Keep things as simple as you can to start. Don't complicate your start with discus, at least at first, by placing them in a heavily planted environment, using CO2 and a strict fertilization regime. Make sure your tank is fully cycled before adding the fish, and don't be tempted to alter or change the pH of your water, or modify your water conditions and params by using chemicals of any kind. No need to use RO water or adopt any other procedures that would tend to complicate what should be a simple start to your discus launch.

Follow these 'rules', and there's little doubt you will succeed with discus !

Pardal
12-17-2015, 08:08 PM
Welcome aboard
You are in the right place, to start the hobby.
I recommend Al's video on NADA made by Uaru Joe king of DIY.
Pat's can help to located better than I.

DJW
12-17-2015, 08:29 PM
Here is the link to Al's video as mentioned...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXe3VKh7qF8

davidson429
12-17-2015, 08:56 PM
Thank you all for the help will def do more homework to make sure this process is a smooth one.. Also with the recommendation of 6 discus will a 55 gallon tank be ok for that or should i look to upgrade.

Jack L
12-17-2015, 09:29 PM
Hi and welcome, this is a great resource, but suggest taking time and reading the stickies on the board and watching the video from al. You will better of being over educated than rushing in. If you read you will see some immediate issues with your plan.

Jack L
12-17-2015, 09:42 PM
Oh and if you slow it down camp out in craigslist and way for a good deal, tanks have no resale value

fishguy456
12-17-2015, 10:22 PM
Davidson,

Welcome to the forum. My recommendation is to wait awhile before getting any fish or set up your tank. Spend this time using the search function on the SD forum to research more about what and how to keep discus. Start with the Stickies in the beginners section. Please don't make the same mistakes I did several years ago. You can use the Private Message feature on the form if you want, and I'll help you if I can.

Paul

This is something I wish I had done, the fish turned out fine as of now, but could have saved a lot of stress to them Just by researching an extra week. Just a tip, never think of anything here as crazy, for example i once thought painted bare bottom tanks was crazy and pointless, boy am I wrong, Started with a planted 75g tank, took out plants, took out all gravel (or at least all I could without going crazy about picking up individual rocks) and am now going to be painting my tank in the next week or so. The main thing I have learned is to keep a strict water change schedule, and feed your fish more than you think you need. for example I do 90% wc daily, this is to compensate for the extra feeding. I am no where near an expert in this but I've come to learn a few things about these beautiful fish! Good luck with the tank! Remember to buy QUALITY stock, in my experience kennys discus, a sponsor here, has amazing fish, plus, he's a great guy!:D

warblad79
12-17-2015, 10:30 PM
This forum is like shortcuts for becoming an expert keeper.

discuspaul
12-17-2015, 10:38 PM
Thank you all for the help will def do more homework to make sure this process is a smooth one.. Also with the recommendation of 6 discus will a 55 gallon tank be ok for that or should i look to upgrade.

In many discus-keepers' opinion, a 55 gal tank is just barely ok for 5 discus (the minimum to keep), with very few, or no dither fish tank-mates.
A 60 gal with 6 fish would be a touch better, but not by much.
A 75 gal tank would be much better - then you would have some options - can you handle that ?

Jack L
12-17-2015, 11:23 PM
i'm starting to think my 140 is too small.

Altum Nut
12-17-2015, 11:43 PM

Welcome to Simply Discus...
I don't see there was any mention of Discus size you’re planning to get which will determine tank size recommendation. It is always useful to have a second tank laying around.

A 75 gal tank would be much better - then you would have some options - can you handle that ?

+1...

...Ralph

davidson429
12-17-2015, 11:44 PM
Yes i could handle the 75 gal tank. I want to do this the right way!