PDA

View Full Version : cleaning breeding tank with eggs

fliptop
12-20-2015, 12:25 PM
Hi, my pair laid eggs about 24 hours ago, how and when can i clean the tank?
Thanks in advance

Willie
12-20-2015, 12:30 PM
Just like you usually do. If you're doing regular water changes, the parents are likely to ignore you as usual. You may not want to drop the water levels so low as to expose the eggs, but everything else is fine. By the way, eggs are tough so a water change now is far better than when the fry hatches out.

Good luck.

fliptop
12-20-2015, 12:56 PM
Just like you usually do. If you're doing regular water changes, the parents are likely to ignore you as usual. You may not want to drop the water levels so low as to expose the eggs, but everything else is fine. By the way, eggs are tough so a water change now is far better than when the fry hatches out.

Good luck.

Right now i have methylene blue in the water, should i put methylene blue after water change?

DonMD
12-20-2015, 09:00 PM
Right now i have methylene blue in the water, should i put methylene blue after water change?

I have used meth blue in the past for fungus, and after the original dose, I never re-dosed, but did daily water changes of at least 50%, thereby reducing daily the amount of MB. The eggs in this situation always came out great, no problems.

I think it's very important to maintain good water quality at all times, even when there are eggs or even wigglers or free swimmers. I've found that the parents often challenge the python or hose I use to vacuum, so I've made a tank divider out of egg crate, and I separate the parents from where I'm syphoning water. That way they don't kill themselves attacking the water syphon. Once I'm done taking water out I remove the divider and add water. No worries.

fliptop
12-20-2015, 09:08 PM
Thanks Don.
When do i take the screen off the pvc pipe? Do i have to wait til they are free swimming?

DonMD
12-21-2015, 10:38 AM
Thanks Don.
When do i take the screen off the pvc pipe? Do i have to wait til they are free swimming?

I'm not sure what you mean. What screen? What pvc pipe?