PDA

View Full Version : First discus tank.

bercume3
12-20-2015, 12:47 PM
Hey everyone, I am new here and looking to start a discus tank.

I've had freshwater tanks for years now and really enjoy planted tanks. I have a 55 gallon that I would like to start a discus tank with. As of now, all I know is discus need very warm and clean water (lots of water changes). I would really appreciate any help in getting me started.

I was planning on doing a bare bottom tank with large center piece of wood and a few anubias species on it.

Questions:

Best way to cycle my tank?
How many should I start with?
What size should I start with?
What colors do you recommend?
Special chemicals for the water?
How many h2o changes a week? How much water each time?

Im really looking for information along with photos for scaping ideas, photos of your set up, photos of fish colors (with names).

Thanks so much for the input!

discuspaul
12-20-2015, 03:36 PM
Welcome to the forum, Eric

It appears you want to start properly and be successful keeping discus, so the best thing you can do now is some advance homework, by reading all the Stickies here in the Discus Basics for Beginners section.

I'm quite sure you'll find the answers to all of your questions, excepting a recommendation on colors - that's strictly up to your preference - only you should make that decision.
In particular though, look up the 'discus strains' thread for colors & names of fish, and I believe my Guide to Discus (the last sticky) will answer your other questions. Al Sabetta, the forum owner & administrator, has done an excellent over an hour long video which will also prove exceptionally helpful - it's also among those Stickies.
The first one in fact.

Once you've done your reading, we'll be happy to answer any other questions you may have.
Best of luck to you.

ericNH
12-20-2015, 06:51 PM
Hello bercume3,

I am not one of the experts here, but I finally have a stable tank with 6 adult discus, 2 of which are regulary spawning. I blew it on every level when I started, and dragged my feet on every step forward I made. Following are your questions, with answers on what I feel is best. Please take my answers with a grain of salt. And Good Luck! I *love* my discus and I think you will too, if you make it past the first few hurdles.

Best way to cycle my tank?
I cycled my tank with guppies. If I had to do it over I might try a fish-less cycle, using straight ammonia.

How many should I start with?
In a 55 gallon with plenty of water changes you should be able to accomodate 6 adult discus.

What size should I start with?
ADULT discus, 5+ inches. This is important. I strongly recommend getting all 6 at once, all as adult at 5+, and all from the same source. When I started I did not do this, and it took me the better part of two years to straighten things out, and I have several less-than-awesome specimens.

What colors do you recommend?
How about all reds? I recommend all one single type as opposed to having a variety. And some of the reds are mind-blowing in terms of color saturation.

Special chemicals for the water?
None. No chemicals at all except possibly Seachem Prime if you are using chlorinated tap water. Don't worry about pH - discus may "like" low pH but I've been keeping mine int 8.1-ish pH from day1. If you want to breed them that's another story. A story best left for for a time when you are experienced and successful with your first group of discus.

How many h2o changes a week? How much water each time?
If you feed them heavily, daily 50-75% water changes. If you feed them lightly, 50% every other day.

SNap0283
12-21-2015, 12:08 AM
Eric pretty much answered everything for you.

As for colors get what you like, some prefer a mix, some prefer a single color with a few strains that all have the color and others like a single strain. This is all just on what you want to look at in your tank. Be aware that if you choose any pigeon blood strains you will want a white bottom and very light or white background as well.

If you go with adults you can do fewer and smaller water changes, if you go with anything less than full grown you will need to do larger and daily water changes. I personally prefer getting the fish young and growing them myself, this is a lot more work and probably more expensive in the long run but it brings me pleasure from the hobby. Do whichever suits you best and youll have the most success.

Read up and ask questions and youll do great. Take everyones advice on here and don't try to reinvent the wheel. So many people seek advice, don't take it, then do their own thing. Then they post in the emergency room with sick fish and cant understand how it all went wrong.

fishtanktenderfoot
12-21-2015, 03:39 PM
You are smart to start with bare bottom. Once you have your maintenance routine down, you can investigate other options if you want. But starting bare bottom is smart! And if you go that route, paint the outside of the bottom of the tank. It prevents the discus from seeing reflections that can be disorienting for them. I like the idea of the textured sand colored spray paint. I wish I had painted mine when it was empty. No chance of going back and doing it now!

bercume3
12-21-2015, 08:35 PM
Thank you everyone for the advice. If anyone has pictures of their set-ups id love to see them. I am heading to Massachusetts for Christmas but plan on starting my cycle when I get back. I am in western NC, can anyone recommend a quality breeder to order 6 or so sub-adults?

discuspaul
12-21-2015, 09:27 PM
Thank you everyone for the advice. If anyone has pictures of their set-ups id love to see them. I am heading to Massachusetts for Christmas but plan on starting my cycle when I get back. I am in western NC, can anyone recommend a quality breeder to order 6 or so sub-adults?

Eric, you could try someone with the same first name, Eric Lacroix @ Carolina Discus, one of our sponsors - check him out on the link below:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?116466-An-inside-look-at-Carolina-Discus

Jack L
12-21-2015, 09:33 PM
only thing i'll mention on colors, is look around at tank photos and see if you like a school of one strain or the rainbow tank as you plan your setup.

ericNH
12-21-2015, 09:42 PM
... If anyone has pictures of their set-ups id love to see them...

Well it's a work in progress, but here's my humble tank:

bercume3
12-21-2015, 10:23 PM
Well it's a work in progress, but here's my humble tank

That's an awesome looking set up. How does the clown loach do in that tank? I have a few growing out now in a 40 gallon planted tank. Ive heard they sometime struggle with the heat and are too darty and stress the discus. Also, What are the red discus with the white face called (second from the left). Im trying to do my research but the strains are very hard to learn.

Jack L
12-21-2015, 10:41 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?121710-PREVIEW-MEGA-57-strains-NOV-2015-Forrest-shipment-(SOLD-OUT)&highlight=shipment

bercume3
12-21-2015, 11:00 PM
Thanks Jack, thats an awesome link.

fishguy456
12-21-2015, 11:06 PM
That's an awesome looking set up. How does the clown loach do in that tank? I have a few growing out now in a 40 gallon planted tank. Ive heard they sometime struggle with the heat and are too darty and stress the discus. Also, What are the red discus with the white face called (second from the left). Im trying to do my research but the strains are very hard to learn.

I believe thats a red melon... not 100% sure though

fishguy456
12-21-2015, 11:07 PM
Well it's a work in progress, but here's my humble tank:

How big is that tank? looks longer than a 75

ericNH
12-22-2015, 12:02 AM
It's a 125. And yea, the clown loach is not the greatest tankmate for discus, I gave 3 back to the lfs a while ago. But this one clown is okay, and they've all settled in together now.

bercume3
12-23-2015, 06:47 PM
I saw that seachem offers a discus trace supplement. Does anyone use this of recommend this? Any major benefits?

Jack L
12-23-2015, 11:02 PM
no

SNap0283
12-24-2015, 12:46 AM
I think the consensus opinion of most people here are not to use supplements unless your tap water has a major problem. Just change water often and de-chlorinate.

Filip
12-24-2015, 02:45 AM
I think the consensus opinion of most people here are not to use supplements unless your tap water has a major problem. Just change water often and de-chlorinate.

+1.
People also use it to re-mineralize the RO water if their tap water is bad.

bercume3
12-24-2015, 06:04 PM
Thanks for all the help guys, I am going to start cycling the tank when I get back home from the holidays. Going to cycle it with 7 neon tetras that I currently have in another tank. Tank will be bare bottom with a center piece driftwood with 2-3 species of anubias. Still haven't decided on colors but think I am going to stick to a red theme.

MattArmstrong
12-24-2015, 06:39 PM
I can think of three reasons to not use neons to cycle, and go with a fishless cycle instead:

1) Neons don't last at Discus temperatures, so they are not great long term cohabitants.

2) First time discus tanks are probably best kept Discus only and isolated from other stock. Every fish from a different source risks introducing the Discus to a unique pathogen. In other words, those Neons might make your Discus sick. Avoiding that risk gives you a better shot at success. Of course, getting this benefit requires a complete quarantine/isolation from your other tanks, even sipons, buckets, etc.

3) A few Neons are nothing in terms of bioload compared to Discus. A fishless cycle will let you build the bio filter up better (in theory). For example you can verify that Ammonia brought up to 3ppm is fully brought down to Ammonia/Nitrites of zero in 24 hours.

Good luck!

bercume3
12-24-2015, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the tips Matt. I will give the fish-less cycle a try. I'm not too familiar with it so can someone give me some pointers? Are there any special products I should be using? I was going to use a pennplax canister filter but I read that HOB filters are better for discus due to the fact that they are easy to clean. I usually just use Seachem Prime for new water out of my well. If someone could walk me through a fish less cycle with recommended chemicals Id greatly appreciate it.

MattArmstrong
12-24-2015, 07:32 PM
I'd search the forum for "fishless". It has come up a few times in the past few weeks. I like the instructions given on Dr. Tim's website -- they are very clear and work even if you don't buy his stuff, and are easily found with a Google search.

walt
12-25-2015, 09:29 AM
Fishless cycle way to go I did it on my 120 and it worked great just use pure ammonia no additives added to it you should have no problem