PDA

View Full Version : Peppering?

mkelly66
12-20-2015, 03:38 PM
I bought a really nice (IMO)redSS. From the LFS tank to mine he peppered up. He eats great and is really pretty, which is why I bought him. He has settled in well eating and such. His peppering has reduced a little over the last 4 days. What can I do to further reduce it and help get him back to his regular color. I put a thin layer of white sand/gravel on bottom of tank. Tank bottom and back are painted blue. Anything else I can do?

Mike Kelly

Akili
12-20-2015, 03:49 PM
White sand/gravel on bottom of tank and back are painted blue is just about the best you can do to avoid peppering.You could have done the back in white and that would have been fine too.

mkelly66
12-20-2015, 04:04 PM
Here is a picture of my current set up and the fish in question9287792878

Ryan
12-20-2015, 05:24 PM
The blue is pretty dark, but there is also a huge piece of dark driftwood that will contribute.

Discus will try to blend in with their surroundings, so if you have a dark substrate or dark decorations, the fish will likely try to darken up. This means bars and peppering. It looks like the other pigeons in your tank are showing it as well.

Sometimes it's genetic and it will never totally go away. Sometimes it's stress related, so he may be showing more because he's new and he needs time to settle in, or maybe he's at the lower end of the pecking order and aggression from other fish is causing it. Lots of things can contribute.

nc0gnet0
12-20-2015, 08:13 PM
I bought a really nice (IMO)redSS. From the LFS tank to mine he peppered up.

A couple of things, first of all while that is a SS, it is not a red SS.,
Second, and more importantly, why did you skip QT?

mkelly66
12-20-2015, 08:34 PM
OK since he isn't a red SS what is he then? As far as QT, he was actually bought for me by my wife and daughter for Christmas, they don't know QT ect.. And I didn't have a tank to put him in. After the new year they are going in my 72 Gallon Bow front, and this tank will become my QT Tank. I do 90%WC everyday and they are eating really well including the new guy. So, So far so good. No new fish for a long time! Point taken though.
Mike Kelly

nc0gnet0
12-20-2015, 09:12 PM
It is some type of pigeon blood/ golden SS. As much as I sympathize with your gift dilemma, Qt should not be skipped regardless.

DISCUS STU
12-21-2015, 12:08 PM
You can really get crazy trying to work around the pb peppering.