PDA

View Full Version : eye chips

Kyla
12-27-2015, 02:53 PM
im not breeding discus - just wondering

i was reading thru some old posts on eye chips - the idea they may be genetic, or caused by small organisms in the water biting the fragile fry (eg cyclops). i still wasnt sure what the consensus on this was (or if there was consensus)?

i was also wondering about the possibility of the fry biting eachothers eyes. they r ravenous little monsters, even when tiny. watching them in their feeding frenzies tearing mouthfuls off the parents flanks... i could totally picture them accidentally chomping eachothers eyes in the process??

Rudustin
12-27-2015, 03:02 PM
im not breeding discus - just wondering

i was reading thru some old posts on eye chips - the idea they may be genetic, or caused by small organisms in the water biting the fragile fry (eg cyclops). i still wasnt sure what the consensus on this was (or if there was consensus)?

i was also wondering about the possibility of the fry biting eachothers eyes. they r ravenous little monsters, even when tiny. watching them in their feeding frenzies tearing mouthfuls off the parents flanks... i could totally picture them accidentally chomping eachothers eyes in the process?? I'm not much of an experienced breeder of discus so this is my experience so far. I have fry still in with their parents and they are soon to reach their fourth week birthday. As ravenous as the fry are about food ( they are now eating crushed FDBWs) I haven't seen the fry attack each other or their eyes at all.

Kyla
12-27-2015, 03:12 PM
thanks rudustin, i havent seen it either, and i havent seen any sibling aggression, i just mean a while ago i was watching a group after they had just attached to their dad. the way they were ripping away, it crossed my mind that if they accidentally grabbed a sibling they might take a chunk off the eye.

Skip
12-27-2015, 11:36 PM
It's genetic

John_Nicholson
12-28-2015, 10:46 AM
In my opinion it is genetic most of the time.

-john

Kyla
12-28-2015, 02:26 PM
thanks! this is good to know

pitdogg2
12-29-2015, 12:23 PM
it crossed my mind that if they accidentally grabbed a sibling they might take a chunk off the eye.

if that was the case the eye would fester up turn cloudy or white then shrivel up as the fluid in the eye would now be in the tank. It is genetic the eye didn't form correctly.

Kyla
12-29-2015, 01:42 PM
that makes a lot of sense. they dont look like "bites", just like dents.

Skip
12-29-2015, 02:34 PM
someone else usually points it out.. lol.. cuz you don't "see" them on your own.. lol

CliffsDiscus
01-01-2016, 04:31 PM
I see a lots of flat spot on 2 inch Discus at some LFS mostly on Blue Diamonds, these fish should of been already culled before sold.

Cliff