PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a new water change procedure.

Martin_NC
12-30-2015, 12:48 PM
Before I can commit to keeping Discus in my planted tank I need to update the my water change procedure. I have a 60 gallon tank and currently change water by carrying out 5 gallons of waste water at at time to a drain and then carrying in 5 gallons of matured water at at time to pump into the tank. With a full time job it requires more time than I have to do, say 4 x 50% water changes a week, not to mention the impact on my back. So I am planning a new system and wanted to get feedback and suggestions before I set it up.

Have been reading various suggestions on the forum and my plan is to get a large water tank in the garage, say 50 gallons. I fill this directly from an outside tap using a new hose pipe I buy. Add prime, run it with a bubbler and heat it overnight.

Also get a 500 gph pump and a 15 gallon container.

Procedure:

1. Siphon out 15 gallons of water from the fish tank into a 15 gallon container. Should be enough to clean the bottom of the tank.
2. Pump siphoned water to a drain.
3. Pump out another 15 gallons directly to the drain.
4. Pump in 30 gallons of new water from the water tank in the garage.
5. Refill the water tank in the garage.

I guess using this method it would also be very easy to do bigger changes.

So my plan is to set this up, run with it for few months and, if I can maintain it, I will be ready to add to my current 2 discuss.

A few questions I have:
- Do I need to insulate the tank in the garage in the winter? I am in NC so temps get to around 20 sometimes.
- Any recommendations for a specific good reliable 500 gph pump for this purpose? It needs to pump the water about 50 feet. Also would be good if it could pump up a flight of stairs to my other tank (which contains the fish I bought and found unsuitable for keeping with Discuss) although I guess I shouldn’t use the same pump for both tanks.
- When refilling the tank, the pump will be in the garage and I will be in the house, thinking of using a standard garden hose statement at the end of the hose to control flow, does that make sense, any better alternatives?

Any improvements I could make? I don't mind investing extra money to make it better.

DonMD
12-30-2015, 02:13 PM
Hi, Martin,

I started out like you, with a 45 gallon brute container, then I daisy-chained three of them, and now I have a single 200 gallon storage barrel LOL!

I think you're on the right path. I use a Magdrive pump, the biggest they sold at the time, about 8 years ago, has worked flawlessly for me, even when I left it on for 24+ hours after turning off all the valves. I've done that several times, never burned out. It pumps water up about 12 feed (they call this 'head' I think), and diagonally about 45 feet, with good pressure. I use a high quality hose-end valve to control the output, but I also use a remote electrical switch that I wear on my belt that will turn on the plug that the pump is plugged into. You can get those at Home Depot, they are not expensive, and they sure do work well.

I use gravity to syphon my tanks, from the main floor down to the basement. Doesn't sound like that's an option for you, so pumping out water works well. The magdrive pump is submersible.

I highly recommend wrapping your storage barrel with insulation, I use a type of foil bubble-wrap. I don't know what the R value is for it, but I'm sure it helps.

All the best, -Don

Martin_NC
12-30-2015, 03:14 PM
Hi Don,

thank you for your answer.....great information:

I was wandering if a pump could be left running when its output is closed, sounds like it can - perfect.
Did not know that remote electrical switches existed, definitely getting one of those :).
Also I never thought of siphoning directly to the drain, no basement but I do have a drain about 20 feet away and 3ft down from the bottom of the tank so all I need is a longer hose so maybe that will work assuming the weather makes it ok to leave the window open.

Really hoping this works out - I love Discus but need to make sure I can make the commitment needed.

Martin.

DonMD
12-30-2015, 06:33 PM
Hi Don,

thank you for your answer.....great information:

I was wandering if a pump could be left running when its output is closed, sounds like it can - perfect.

Martin.

I don't think it's a good idea to leave it running, I just wanted to point out that when I forgot to turn it off, no damage resulted. But certainly a few minutes won't hurt it. Hours, even, as I've discovered. But always better to turn it off. Also, I think you're on the right track trying to figure out how to change water easily. That is the key to keeping discus. Good luck.

DonMD
12-30-2015, 06:40 PM
Here's how I set up my water change system back in 2009, if you're interested: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?72105-Dining-with-Discus&highlight=. I've made one change since then; I changed out the brute barrels for a single 200gallon one. Cheers.

SNap0283
12-30-2015, 07:27 PM
I would use plenty of insulation. Especially on the bottom, concrete is a very good heat conductor and will pull all of the heat out of your water and waste it. As Don said how high you need the water pumped is the "head" height. Most pumps will have a head height listed. If you have a long run id add a go 20% to the head height to make sure the pump can handle it. Also head height increases based on the diameter of the hose so check the hose you will use vs the hose size used for the head height measurement.

For draining I siphon into a barrel with a hose drilled into the bottom. This makes it easier for me to drain multiple tanks at the same time and also I don't need to worry about getting a siphon going on a garden hose. Everyone has their own way and it sounds like youre well on your way to figuring what will work best for you. Keep us posted.