PDA

View Full Version : Discus Flat swimming

luyisamor
01-01-2016, 11:08 AM
Hi all,

need help/advice.

my discus is swimming very werid. he is swimming flat ways.

anyone can advice what should i do? i did a wc also.

is it swim bladder issue?

https://youtu.be/5qNULq4fiOI

thanks.

bluelagoon
01-01-2016, 11:48 AM
The reflection coming from a non painted bottom.Making it difficult for it to know where up and down is.

Second Hand Pat
01-01-2016, 11:53 AM
The reflection coming from a non painted bottom.Making it difficult for it to know where up and down is.

That is what I am seeing also. You could try painting the bottom or adding a very light dusting of sand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qNULq4fiOI&feature=youtu.be

luyisamor
01-01-2016, 12:04 PM
ok.. i see what i can do so that there is no reflection at the bottom. but base on the behavior, any idea what is the main problem?

Second Hand Pat
01-01-2016, 12:12 PM
My guess is they can not determine where the bottom is and it makes them feel very insecure.
Pat

SNap0283
01-01-2016, 01:49 PM
I agree with the others. There is no problem with the fish. Paint the bottom or tape some paper directly to the glass on the bottom and it should stop immediately

luyisamor
01-01-2016, 10:11 PM
oh... i get what you guys mean now. haha... but i do have a dark piece of sheet at the bottom of the tank. not sure why is there still reflection. maybe is the light?

or maybe is the glass quality?

how?

Akili
01-01-2016, 10:54 PM
oh... i get what you guys mean now. haha... but i do have a dark piece of sheet at the bottom of the tank. not sure why is there still reflection. maybe is the light?

or maybe is the glass quality?

how?Change the dark sheet to a white one and see if that helps.

Jack L
01-01-2016, 11:19 PM
i thought maybe it was flashing, but had nothing to "scratch" on. but the others explanation makes more sense.

Phillydubs
01-02-2016, 02:05 AM
Are those the only two discus in the tank ?

luyisamor
01-02-2016, 10:47 AM
ok Akili. i will try to put some white paper at the bottom to see if it helps.

Yes, Phillydubs. there is only 2 discus in the tank.

but got some other tank mates too.

2 Cory
2 Mini Cory
5 Tetra

MD.David
01-02-2016, 03:10 PM
I use a high sticky mac-tack, it comes in rolls 24in x 78in, peel off the wax paper backing and stick it to whatever. I put this on my bottom (outside of tank, not inside) and back & sides.
It looks super clean as well. But if you want you can just put it on bottom or anything.
However, I agree with all the consensus here, its looking at a reflection or something is sees. The fish looks very healthy.

luyisamor
01-03-2016, 02:00 AM
a quick update.

somehow, today the tank is not able to see the relection anymore. it manage to see my blue mat at the bottom even when the light is on. the reflection is gone.

i also notice that the discus did not swim flat anymore. haha... thanks guys for the advice and help.

anyway, can anyone tell me also. what is the type of discus i own?

Akili
01-03-2016, 08:10 AM
a quick update.

somehow, today the tank is not able to see the relection anymore. it manage to see my blue mat at the bottom even when the light is on. the reflection is gone.

i also notice that the discus did not swim flat anymore. haha... thanks guys for the advice and help.

anyway, can anyone tell me also. what is the type of discus i own?Looks like blue turquoise to me