PDA

View Full Version : First time caring for Discus and need help

Mustanggtandgsxr
01-08-2016, 04:05 PM
Hello,

I have a 125 gallon glass tank with 3 Discus, 10 Neon Tetras, 10 Cory Cats, and 2 Gold Skirt Tetras. the Discus were purchased from a very reputable breeder in town. The acclimation process took and hr to do as instructed by the breeder. 2-Marineland Emperors 400 and a Magnum 350 Canister. In the emperors I have blue carbon cartriges and poly fiber floss in the grey media containers and in the canister I have the micro polishing filter. My water is fine(0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 5 Nitrate, PH 7.6, temp 84-86), and I have been doing 50% WC(do I have to do that many, a 125 gal is not easy to do) every other day, and also picking up the poo and fish food with a battery powered gravel vac everyday. I will be getting 3 more discus by end of the month. I just purchased the discus this past Saturday and they are very shy and when the light come on they hide. They are still their color but darker since the move. one of them has the black stripes, that I was told were stress. I want to make sure I am doing everything correct. They are eating some. I feed them 3 times a day, and I just drop the food where they are and they get it once I leave the room. Otherwise they seem healthy. What do you all recommend or advise me to do to get them happy and colorful again. Thanks

any help and advise is appreciated.

Mustanggtandgsxr
01-08-2016, 04:27 PM
forgot to mention my water changes are with a python and I match the temp of the water coming from the sink to the temp in the tank. then I add Prime for the whole tank as soon as it starts to fill.

Akili
01-08-2016, 04:34 PM
Always quarantine new arrivals for at least for six weeks.

Mustanggtandgsxr
01-08-2016, 05:04 PM
not the question I asked but ill keep that in mind. Thanks

Discus-n00b
01-08-2016, 05:27 PM
Tony, quarantine is a very commonly recommended and smartly practiced step here on the forums. It just assures you of not introducing anything nasty into your nice show tank at home, even some nasties can unintentionally slip past good care. It's a good way for you to protect your discus investments when introducing new fish is all. I don't think it was meant to cause any offence or ill will toward you/your post. Some people may not feel fully comfortable advising more than what they post.

Did you cycle the tank to start? I will assume you have and just didn't list it in the post as you seem to be diligent in checking your water and have even posted a picture/values to show that instead of just saying it's all good. Just want to rule out things that could stress a fish. Otherwise I'd say you seem to be on track. It could just be they are still getting settled. If they are actually taking food then that is a good thing. Is it the light that triggers them being spooked or are they like this all the time? Have you noticed them coming out more when the lights are off? Perhaps there is some way you can dim the light or diffuse the light so that it may not be as bright right away?

Nice looking clean tank by the way!

Mustanggtandgsxr
01-08-2016, 06:27 PM
Hi Discus-n00b and thanks for the in-depth explanation of quarantine.

Yes the tank has been cycled. It was set up in November and I did a fish in cycle with mollies and tetras.

I don't think its the lights that spook them, as much as me being in the room. When the lights are off, and someone walks in the room, they will hide in the back corner. If I sneak around and take a peek without them seeing me, I can see them in the front of the tank swimming up and down. I have left the lights off for a few days, but I need to start turning them on for the plants. I have 2-36" Marineland LED lights. Specs are: 120 Volts, 60Hz, Brightness 468 Lumens, Light Appearance 7800K which is a little more than half between warm and cool. Just trying to give as much info as possible.

Mustanggtandgsxr
01-08-2016, 06:31 PM
And thanks for the compliment!

Mustanggtandgsxr
01-08-2016, 06:35 PM
I also forgot to mention that I have been doing 50% water changes every other day. I would like to cut back on this to about 2 times a week and maybe even once a week. Tank is big and it takes me almost an hr. to let it drain and fill up. I slowly fill the tank so that any changes in the water don't happen too fast.

Pardal
01-08-2016, 08:41 PM
Your tank looks very clean and well take care.
The first thing is remember discus are very social fish you need a minimum of 6 at once, I personally like 9. I know there are no cheap, but sometimes is better to wait and purchase all them at once.
In your tank you can have up to 12 adults no problem.
First your tank needs a back ground sooner the better. I will put a temporary cloth or plastic outside until you find one you like.
If you move the plants and wood to the back is better sort of pushing the fish to the front per say.
The reasoning behind is you create a hide place the fish will hide.
I notice you have two fish that look about 2.5 to 3 inches fish. ( small fish are better in bare bottom, they need a lot of Food with a lot of WC to grow well.
I will recommend for you to save some money. and purchase at least 4.5 or bigger for that tank. And move the smaller ones to a grow out tank bare bottom.
The stress bars are going to be present in some fish. In a group of fish they will always be a hierarchy and the underdogs will most likel had the stress bar showing more than the Alpha's.
When you get adults , always put your heater horizontally , female could burn their reproductive tube if they decide to spawn.
Neon's won't do well at the higher temperatures of Discus.
This is what I can see in a quick look to the tank.

Also, watch the video in the beginners section. Don't feel bad for I have fish all my life and Discus for about 12 years and I watched to compare notes.
In addition also always, always quarantine even when you purchase from the same supplier.

Altum Nut
01-08-2016, 09:12 PM
Julian appears to have typed faster but here is my 2 cents...

Welcome to SD Tony and to the world of Discus.
Although it's not a rule but Discus do better in a larger group e.g. 5-6 or more...but clearly understand that they are expensive and see that your going to get another 3. Although you may be getting them from the same source it's good practice as others have mentioned to quarantine before adding them to your current group in your 125g. This procedure and recommendation has been proven which is why it's being suggested time and time again on this forum.

The other advise I can offer is that straight tap water in general and more so during winter months contain micro-bubbles which adherer's to Discus slime coat and causes it to shed off. This protective coat is crucial and therefore susceptible to problems once stripped off. If your going this route without aging water...more smaller w/c will be best.

In closing...your question was aimed as a first time discus keeper that is looking for help.
I suggest asking all the questions at will...but at times different suggestions are offered because everyone's water or methods varies with what works best for them.

Good luck and remember to make it enjoyable and not a chore.

...Ralph

Kyla
01-08-2016, 09:49 PM
can u describe your water change process? do u use buckets or a python etc to drain and fill ur tank? where is ur tank located (eg basement? near a drain? near a sink?)

im asking because ppl here may be able to help u figure out a faster or more efficient method.

Altum Nut
01-08-2016, 10:00 PM
can u describe your water change process? do u use buckets or a python etc to drain and fill ur tank? where is ur tank located (eg basement? near a drain? near a sink?)

im asking because ppl here may be able to help u figure out a faster or more efficient method.

Kyla...was mentioned in post 2 below that a Python is used....

forgot to mention my water changes are with a python and I match the temp of the water coming from the sink to the temp in the tank. then I add Prime for the whole tank as soon as it starts to fill.

...Ralph

Kyla
01-09-2016, 12:24 AM
Kyla...was mentioned in post 2 below that a Python is used....

...Ralph

thanks ralph! it took forever for me to drain my 180gal and 210gal using a python, and it wasted a TON of water. i now run a hose into the basement floor drain and once i get the siphon going gravity does all the work! its way faster than the python, and it saves water. if my tanks were on a main floor i'd love to drain them outside and use the water for the plants

rickztahone
01-09-2016, 12:30 AM
thanks ralph! it took forever for me to drain my 180gal and 210gal using a python, and it wasted a TON of water. i now run a hose into the basement floor drain and once i get the siphon going gravity does all the work! its way faster than the python, and it saves water. if my tanks were on a main floor i'd love to drain them outside and use the water for the plants

You can always pump the water out via water pump.

Kyla
01-09-2016, 12:30 AM
I also forgot to mention that I have been doing 50% water changes every other day. I would like to cut back on this to about 2 times a week and maybe even once a week. Tank is big and it takes me almost an hr. to let it drain and fill up. I slowly fill the tank so that any changes in the water don't happen too fast.

what type of changes in the water are you trying to avoid?

i really dont suggest cutting back on water changes. making ur wc process more efficient would be a much safer option that reducing wc

Kyla
01-09-2016, 02:34 AM
You can always pump the water out via water pump.

i actually just picked up a pump im gonna try out soon. i want to start aging water so ill need one to pump the aged water into the tank anyway. gonna be a whole new world. i doubt it has enough lift to get water out the window tho

one reason i like the gravity siphon is because u can drag the hose along the bottom to suck up snails and debris while u drain the tank (the python clogged too often for this task). can a person use a pump and do this also? sounds like the OP is maybe using the eheim quick vac or a similar device... ive got one and it works, but the suction isnt stellar and it cant handle snails and larger plant debris...

i recently rigged up a hose to drain my 210g via the fx5 filter output. crazy fast drain with the fx5!

Mustanggtandgsxr
01-09-2016, 09:56 AM
Yea I use the Fluval Vac. I don't use it to siphon the water out.mi use it to clean the gravel. Once I'm done vacuuming the gravel, I drin the water with the python.

I just would like it to drain a little faster. What pumps do you guys recommend?

Mustanggtandgsxr
01-09-2016, 09:59 AM
what type of changes in the water are you trying to avoid?

i really dont suggest cutting back on water changes. making ur wc process more efficient would be a much safer option that reducing wc

None in particular. My water from tap is good, just has Chlorine in it. I figure if I go slow filling it, if there was any chance for change it wouldn't affect anything.

Second Hand Pat
01-09-2016, 10:06 AM
None in particular. My water from tap is good, just has Chlorine in it. I figure if I go slow filling it, if there was any chance for change it wouldn't affect anything.

Tony, have you aged your water over 24 hours with aeration to check for a ph swing?
Pat

Mustanggtandgsxr
01-09-2016, 10:26 AM
Tony, have you aged your water over 24 hours with aeration to check for a ph swing?
Pat

Yes I have and no ph swings. Although I used a small Rubbermaid container. I don't think the size of the container would have anything to do with it?

DISCUS STU
01-09-2016, 10:51 AM
I think this should all work out once you get more fish. Given a LARGE tank with plenty of hiding places such as your plants and a small number of fish, small Discus will do what their programmed by nature to do; hide from potential predators so that they don't get eaten. Given more tank mates they should become less shy. Six is a good number, with a 125 gal. you can go 12 or more, assuming you keep up with maintenance.

I don't think 50% water changes with this small bio load in relation to the tank size on this schedule with this small number of fish is really necessary, even though it can't hurt. I'm sure one of the purists will refute this and give me "what for" but OK.

Quarantine is a "Best Practice" for keeping Discus. While it may not come back to bite you if you don't do it once or possibly even twice, eventually, given enough time doing this it probably will. Take it from me and many others who've learned this the hard way with rampant disease outbreaks that have decimated more than one of my tanks like something out of a science fiction movie. And This was after I broke qt too early.

Hope it works out for you, this looks like a very nice setup.

Mustanggtandgsxr
01-09-2016, 01:21 PM
I think this should all work out once you get more fish. Given a LARGE tank with plenty of hiding places such as your plants and a small number of fish, small Discus will do what their programmed by nature to do; hide from potential predators so that they don't get eaten. Given more tank mates they should become less shy. Six is a good number, with a 125 gal. you can go 12 or more, assuming you keep up with maintenance.

I don't think 50% water changes with this small bio load in relation to the tank size on this schedule with this small number of fish is really necessary, even though it can't hurt. I'm sure one of the purists will refute this and give me "what for" but OK.

Quarantine is a "Best Practice" for keeping Discus. While it may not come back to bite you if you don't do it once or possibly even twice, eventually, given enough time doing this it probably will. Take it from me and many others who've learned this the hard way with rampant disease outbreaks that have decimated more than one of my tanks like something out of a science fiction movie. And This was after I broke qt too early.

Hope it works out for you, this looks like a very nice setup.

Thanks for the advise and compliment. I'm getting 2 more today and they will be quarantined for 4 weeks! Is that enough time? I dont want to do it too early or if I see they are ok, can I put them in?

Kyla
01-09-2016, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the advise and compliment. I'm getting 2 more today and they will be quarantined for 4 weeks! Is that enough time? I dont want to do it too early or if I see they are ok, can I put them in?

dont pull them from quarantine early!!

a couple friends and i ordered discus together and split shipping. we all put them into our QT and they looked fine for a couple of weeks. my friends pulled them from their QT early and put them in their main tanks. immediately afterwards they all started showing symptoms! turns out they had chilodonella :(

by the time it was all over, my friends had lost beautiful discus from their main tank and had dumped a ton of $ into meds. i had contained it to the QT and although i lost all but one of my new babies i still counted myself lucky.

moral of the story... be patient, and trust NO discus lol

2 months is a nice safe QT length

Mustanggtandgsxr
01-09-2016, 04:24 PM
dont pull them from quarantine early!!

a couple friends and i ordered discus together and split shipping. we all put them into our QT and they looked fine for a couple of weeks. my friends pulled them from their QT early and put them in their main tanks. immediately afterwards they all started showing symptoms! turns out they had chilodonella :(

by the time it was all over, my friends had lost beautiful discus from their main tank and had dumped a ton of $ into meds. i had contained it to the QT and although i lost all but one of my new babies i still counted myself lucky.

moral of the story... be patient, and trust NO discus lol

2 months is a nice safe QT length

Ok. Thanks for the advice. One of the discus came out this morning when I was feeding, but immediately he hid again. After I left the room they came out to eat. Making progress.

Mustanggtandgsxr
01-10-2016, 07:42 PM
Would it be ok to add Purigen to my canister filter and add some ceramic bio media on top? It will be going in the basket with blue filter that came with my Marineland Magnum 350 canister.

MD.David
01-10-2016, 07:57 PM
Why do you want to put this in your filter?

Would it be ok to add Purigen to my canister filter and add some ceramic bio media on top? It will be going in the basket with blue filter that came with my Marineland Magnum 350 canister.

Mustanggtandgsxr
01-10-2016, 08:39 PM
Just to add some bio media(ceramic) and to keep the water as clean as I can. I'm still going to be doing water changes regularly like planned.

DISCUS STU
01-11-2016, 12:05 PM
I use Purigen in my canisters but after having made the investment I don't think I'd notice one or the other if I didn't have it. It seems to exhaust and need recharging fairly frequently. IME almost more effort than it may be worth.

Mustanggtandgsxr
01-11-2016, 12:46 PM
what would be the best set up for my 350 canister? should I put the purigen at the bottom and then the ceramic bio balls on top? im afraid the water will not go thru the purigen because it wouldn't be completely full of purigen. meaning there could be some open spots where the water will bypass the purigen. will that be an issue?

ericNH
01-11-2016, 03:19 PM
I used to use two Magum 350's and an AC110. One of my magnums held the blue filterfloss on the outside and bio-balls inside. The other I ran with the filterfloss on the outside and a water polishing cartridge inside. I liked that setup. Regarding purigen in a magnum 350 - from what I understand the best way to employ purigen is by passing water through it in a roiling state, where the little purigen particles are all moving around and such. So if I were to try purigen in a magnum350 I think I'd try using filterfloss on the outside and just purigen on the inside, and only filled halfway. But i don't know, maybe the little purigen particles would get blown right out of the filter.

In the end I replaced my 2 magums with 2 more AC110's. They're much easier to clean and get super waterflow.

DISCUS STU
01-11-2016, 05:48 PM
what would be the best set up for my 350 canister? should I put the purigen at the bottom and then the ceramic bio balls on top? im afraid the water will not go thru the purigen because it wouldn't be completely full of purigen. meaning there could be some open spots where the water will bypass the purigen. will that be an issue?

As I used to with Chemipure or carbons, I apply the Purigen at the last stage as a polisher right before the final output into the tank. In my Eheim's it's right on top under the strainer.

RogueDiscus
01-11-2016, 09:13 PM
My $.02 on them hiding.
Your fish are still acclimating to their surroundings, so the hiding is not that unusual. What I would add is to spend time with them. Sit in the room with them close to the tank and let them get used to you. They are extremely interactive once they get comfortable with you.

Mustanggtandgsxr
01-12-2016, 12:05 AM
Thanks everyone!

rickztahone
01-12-2016, 01:26 PM
My $.02 on them hiding.
Your fish are still acclimating to their surroundings, so the hiding is not that unusual. What I would add is to spend time with them. Sit in the room with them close to the tank and let them get used to you. They are extremely interactive once they get comfortable with you.

Very true. Your discus will soon associate you with food and will start begging in front of the tank.

Mustanggtandgsxr
01-12-2016, 01:45 PM
last night when I got home they came out to the front when I opened the top to feed them. They ate and started hiding again LOL. This morning they didn't come out to eat I just dropped the food in and turned the light off.