PDA

View Full Version : Domestic Strain Origination and Genetics

jeff12
01-10-2016, 05:06 PM
Since there are many strains that have been created domestically to get their amazing patterns and colors, does anyone actually know how they came about, like what strain was used to create each strain, and how they were bred? Most of this information is probably hidden away so the breeders can keep their secret process but if you have any information please share!

bornlooser
01-11-2016, 01:35 AM
I don't its a secret you will understand as you progress through the hobby. The Pigeon Blood Discus for instance is a Mutation from a Turquoise Discus I believe. Likewise the Blue Diamond, Ghost, and Snow White are also mutations.These were later used to create new crosses and variations.

XAnhLe
01-11-2016, 05:20 AM
Many of the origins are trade secrets that are known only within a circle of breeders from what I know. The creation of the pigeon blood came from a breeder in Thailand, I think you can google that one. From how I see it... golden, white, brown, PB, blue diamond, Snakeskin, striated, ghost, high body, high fin, albino, heckel and whatever else I am missing. The strains are simply a combination of any 2 or 3 of those. what I know amount to almost nothing compare to many other experienced discus keepers in here so they may have a better say in this topic.

There are also aren't many strains as you think. A lot of it are just fancy names and color feeding. I have probably seen 5 different strains of red that look exactly the same, the only difference is how much color enhancer they have juice up. Many other strains are simply a combination of traits or crosses, like you see a high body giant flora red turquoise, it is called an altum flora, an albino blue diamond is called a platinum, a blue diamond cross with snakeskin is called scorpion, etc.

CliffsDiscus
01-11-2016, 06:43 PM
Original True Human made strains, Wattley Turquoise, Schmidt Focke Red Turquoise, Low Wing Yat's Blue Diamond, and then the mutation Kitti's Pigeonblood.

Cliff

rickztahone
01-11-2016, 06:51 PM
Original True Human made strains, Wattley Turquoise, Schmidt Focke Red Turquoise, Low Wing Yat's Blue Diamond, and then the mutation Kitti's Pigeonblood.

Cliff

This is a good historical read for anyone interested in the PB:
http://cefishessentials.com/Pigeon-blood-history

jeff12
01-13-2016, 04:49 AM
I was interested in more of the smaller or subgroup strains such as SS, Penang Eruptions, Scorpions, the turquoises. How did they become their strain?

nc0gnet0
01-13-2016, 09:54 AM
I was interested in more of the smaller or subgroup strains such as SS, Penang Eruptions, Scorpions, the turquoises. How did they become their strain?

Define Strain

jeff12
01-13-2016, 06:21 PM
Define Strain

A subgroup of a species, discus, like SS.