PDA

View Full Version : Did I Nuke my filter?

Jetlander
01-13-2016, 10:41 AM
Yesterday I did a 90% water change on my 75 gal, lightly planted tank. I also did a thorough clean and rinse of the filters. I have a Eheim 2217 canister filter and a Penguin 350 HOB.

Well, last night at about 9pm I removed 5 gallons worth of water as I vacuumed the substrate. The problem is I turned off the Eheim while I did it because my wife was watching TV and the spraybar makes a lot of noise when I remove 5 gallons. This morning I got up and went to feed the fish and realized I had forgotten to turn the Eheim back on. Would the filter being off for almost 12 hours, even with water in it kill all the bacteria? I don't want to turn it back on and pump toxins into the tank and kill my discus. I have 7 total with some companion tetras and rosey barbs.

I'm sure this has happened to someone before, especially with a power outage or something along those lines. Any advise would be extremely helpful.

Thanks.

DJW
01-13-2016, 10:59 AM
I would find a way to run the first 5 gallons into a bucket to flush any toxins. Then monitor the tank for ammonia and nitrites to see how well its working.

Jetlander
01-13-2016, 11:18 AM
That's a great idea. Thanks.

DISCUS STU
01-13-2016, 12:29 PM
I would find a way to run the first 5 gallons into a bucket to flush any toxins. Then monitor the tank for ammonia and nitrites to see how well its working.

Good idea. Yes, this has happened many times to me, and for much longer. I have a similar setup. It should be ok. You can also help by buying those bio culture liquids just to make sure but it's probably not necessary. A decent water change is also probably a good idea to be on the safe side.

Jetlander
01-13-2016, 01:04 PM
So I ran 20 (first 5 were stinky) gallons into buckets and checked the water. Everything is fine except ammonia, which is at .5 ppm. I will let the filter run for a few hours to make sure it has pushed most of the dead batercia out and then do a big water change. I will also have to run to the store and buy some bio culture to help re-seed the filter. Luckily I hadn't turned off the Penguin 350, so that should help a lot.

MD.David
01-13-2016, 01:16 PM
I've read/heard that beneficial bacteria can live 48hrs as long as its in water.
No sure if that's true or not, but I have done what you did, (I think many of us have) and had no adverse results.

DJW
01-13-2016, 01:56 PM
After the filter runs for a couple hours, you should check the ammonia again. There is a good chance you will find that is has gone down from 0.5 and might go right to zero today.

DISCUS STU
01-13-2016, 03:35 PM
So I ran 20 (first 5 were stinky) gallons into buckets and checked the water. Everything is fine except ammonia, which is at .5 ppm. I will let the filter run for a few hours to make sure it has pushed most of the dead batercia out and then do a big water change. I will also have to run to the store and buy some bio culture to help re-seed the filter. Luckily I hadn't turned off the Penguin 350, so that should help a lot.

I'm not familiar with Penguin. Can you seed anything from that? The bio-culture is a good thing to have. I'd keep it in the fridge if possible and a spouse doesn't have an objection.

Looks like you should be in good shape!

Jetlander
01-13-2016, 04:18 PM

Jetlander
01-13-2016, 04:19 PM
All seems well. Ran the filter for about 3 hours and then did a 50% WC.

pitdogg2
01-13-2016, 06:06 PM
sad to say I have done that also more than once but I just turned it back on and went my way .....I have yet to have any mortality's ....then again I do run 2 canisters on each tank.

rickztahone
01-13-2016, 11:27 PM
I've read/heard that beneficial bacteria can live 48hrs as long as its in water.
No sure if that's true or not, but I have done what you did, (I think many of us have) and had no adverse results.

BB needs air to live. A filter that is off while become stagnant and will quickly kill off bacteria. This is why it is recommended to have sponge filters on hand or run another filter in tandem so that you are never fully dependant on one filter.

With that being said, I have also left a filter off all night and simply turned it on the next day and did a big water change. I will mention, I do daily water changes ANYWAY, so the point may be moot.

DISCUS STU
01-15-2016, 12:42 PM

Nice fish!