PDA

View Full Version : Pairing question

Dreamcatcher
01-14-2016, 12:00 PM
I have a group of five discus there around 4"-4.5" inches. I notice two are at one corner and the other two are at another corner? Does this mean the fish are pairing?

Akili
01-14-2016, 01:49 PM
How old are they?, At this size it is too early to tell.Cichlids are territorial, chances are that they are marking their territory.

DISCUS STU
01-14-2016, 03:47 PM
If you see eggs being laid then that's the answer. Pairing will behavior normally shows the fish approaching each other under going vertically upward the downward, body shaking, etc.

warblad79
01-14-2016, 04:27 PM
If you see eggs being laid then that's the answer. Pairing will behavior normally shows the fish approaching each other under going vertically upward the downward, body shaking, etc.

Exactly as describe, I see them all the time with my proven breeders. Most of the time, they will pick with their own corner and protect it at all cost. it's really fun to watch them especially when they spread their fins and try to look macho

Dreamcatcher
01-14-2016, 05:40 PM
No rubbing it's body shaking but they do spread there fins like to show off to the other. The four fish do get there own corner after showing aggression. Also the four fish there is one bigger and smaller too.

Dreamcatcher
01-14-2016, 05:46 PM
I forgot to add then there's one fish that's always alone when the other four split and go to the corner.