PDA

View Full Version : Astaxanthin

bamzam
01-15-2016, 11:15 PM
Is there any effect from astaxanthin on non red fish? I just ordered some super beef heart flake from inland empire and noticed astaxanthin as one of the ingredients. Does anyone know what effect that would have on a blue diamond and a silver pigeon?

rickztahone
01-15-2016, 11:32 PM
Is there any effect from astaxanthin on non red fish? I just ordered some super beef heart flake from inland empire and noticed astaxanthin as one of the ingredients. Does anyone know what effect that would have on a blue diamond and a silver pigeon?

not a good restult. The blue will start looking purplish, and I am not certain what the silver pigeon will turn in to, but I doubt it be good.

SNap0283
01-16-2016, 01:03 AM
I use it in my beef heart mix. It does have a slight effect on the blue diamonds but I don't mind the look. Lighting on the tank will have 10x the effect on the color of the fish than any food will. Also keep in mind that astaxanthin is naturally occurring in shrimp and krill, and pretty much all quality food has one of those two in it. Personally the only time I would really try to stay away from it was on yellow or white based fish. Also any color changes you see will fade and vanish after you stop feeding the food so if you already purchased it may as well use it and if you don't like the results just stop.