PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Discus together or seperately?

Goldenmelondiscus
01-16-2016, 12:45 PM
I have been doing a lot of reading on this forum the last few weeks, this place is awesome and knowledgeable! One of my fish keeping goals in life is keeping a salt water tank and from what I've read here and about our salt loving finned friends I have come to the conclusion that Discus are like salt water fish, they are particular about their water conditions, eat high protein diets and are territorial.

Here's my question, is it smarter to get several discus at once and not get any more of them because that upsets the hierarchy of the shoal or can you add discus slowly to the tank and rearrange the aquarium they have to rediscover their territory.

Another question, do you name your fish? I personally don't because I feel it's bad luck, every time I name my fish it dies. When I had my 55 :sad:I had a black skirt tetra my mom named Pig. I usually call my fish by species. Sometimes if I was mad at an angel I'd call it that mean angel.

Phillydubs
01-16-2016, 01:01 PM
If you can afford it and can swing it then I would get the entire group at once. But people have had success, my self included adding other fish after the first group. But that requires strict proper qt and expect there to be a shift in the pecking order and a bit of agression as they sort it out. Never add a single fish as it will take the brunt of the beating and may not fair well. I've always added two or more wih no issues besides the agression but that passes over time and is totally natural.

discuspaul
01-16-2016, 01:28 PM
If you can afford it and can swing it then I would get the entire group at once. But people have had success, my self included adding other fish after the first group. But that requires strict proper qt and expect there to be a shift in the pecking order and a bit of agression as they sort it out. Never add a single fish as it will take the brunt of the beating and may not fair well. I've always added two or more wih no issues besides the agression but that passes over time and is totally natural.

Ditto.

MD.David
01-16-2016, 09:18 PM
Order all together, qt all same time and then the qt isn't even like qt, just go bare bottom till you can read your fish.

Filip
01-17-2016, 09:05 AM
If you introduce them separately there is always a risk of cross-conatamination .
Which can end up to be bigger problem than just a hierarchy issues.
Most of us buy them all together and always from the same source (breeder or a LFS).

I personally have never put names to my fish.I don't know why ,but that's just me :).

Discus tank differs salt tanks in terms of tasks required.
Discus is only about hard work of waterchanges ,ultra-clean water and good diet.
Saltwater coral tanks requires different kind of work involving constant parameter measuring and dosing .