PDA

View Full Version : two out of ten juvenile discus not eating

Ejacob
01-16-2016, 08:30 PM
I have 10 2.5 - 3" discus purchased from a local breeder about three weeks ago. Up until three days ago, all ten have had healthy appetites, eagerly eating freeze dried blackworms, tetrabits, and flakes. Two discus have begun acting rather timidly and will not eat. None of the fish is singled out for bullying. They show no outward signs of illness - color is good, fins erect, breathing is normal. I have not noticed any stringy, white poop, however I did see that one of them had a tiny bit of white sesame seed sized fecal material poking out at one point. I change 95% of the water daily in a barebottom 55 gallon with two sponge filters. Temp = 86, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate = 0, pH = ~8.0-8.2. I use aged tapwater for waterchanges and there's no pH or temperature fluctuation.

Wait and see? Start Metro just in case?

Surfnturf
01-16-2016, 09:41 PM
Sounds like you are doing everything right. Keep up the water changes and monitor. Got any pics of the fish? Do they have decent weight on them?

Ejacob
01-16-2016, 11:38 PM
I'll take pics of the fish tomorrow. They're asleep now. They seem to have a healthy thickness... no emaciation or "razor foreheads."

Filip
01-17-2016, 08:54 AM
How big is the tank? , how much do you feed them and do they have food left over through the day?
Where the sponge filters cycled?
Maybe a water quality issue.

Did you put them in a sterilized tank or from another discus batch before?
Maybe a cross contamination issue .

Anyway i would wait and observe a couple days more before i start metro treat.

Ejacob
01-17-2016, 10:47 AM
How big is the tank? 55 gallons , how much do you feed them and do they have food left over through the day? I feed them four - five times a day and leftovers are siphoned out
Where the sponge filters cycled? Yes
Maybe a water quality issue. zero nitrates with 95% water changes?

Did you put them in a sterilized tank or from another discus batch before?Brand new tank with my first batch of discus
Maybe a cross contamination issue .

Anyway i would wait and observe a couple days more before i start metro treat.

Thanks. I'm worried that whatever is ailing them will spread to the healthy discus.

Second Hand Pat
01-17-2016, 11:30 AM
When was the last time you squeezed out the sponges?
Pat

Ejacob
01-17-2016, 11:45 AM
When was the last time you squeezed out the sponges?
Pat

I squeeze them out weekly. Should I increase it to daily? There doesn't seem to be much gunk when I do clean them out.

Second Hand Pat
01-17-2016, 11:52 AM
You might try twice a week.
Pat

Ejacob
01-17-2016, 12:04 PM
While I'm far too new at this to know better, I would think that if it were a water quality issue that I'd have more than two out of ten on a hunger strike. The other 8 are active hungry fish.

Second Hand Pat
01-17-2016, 12:19 PM
While I'm far too new at this to know better, I would think that if it were a water quality issue that I'd have more than two out of ten on a hunger strike. The other 8 are active hungry fish.

Seems like you are doing everything well but juvies are touchy. Maybe some pictures would help.
Pat

Ejacob
01-17-2016, 01:43 PM
Here are few photos of the fish in question...

https://goo.gl/photos/cNYDhSbECaVjWwJ3A

https://goo.gl/photos/18D5cjEBi2fpJwBY9

Ignore the fish on the left.

https://goo.gl/photos/QX7YWmfYvXLWyi886

Filip
01-17-2016, 03:38 PM

Its normal to start with one or two weakest fish and stay that way or spread amonst others further.
I don't know the core of the problem but I would keep water pristine and observe for eating and poop .
only if it spreads along further i would start metro treat and elevated temp.treatment.

Surfnturf
01-17-2016, 03:49 PM
Maybe try decreasing lighting, cover the sides and back of the tank. I have even read not to wear a black shirt. How often are you feeding them? You could hold feeds for a day then try frozen bloodworms first thing in the morning.

Ejacob
01-17-2016, 05:51 PM
Maybe try decreasing lighting, cover the sides and back of the tank. I have even read not to wear a black shirt. How often are you feeding them? You could hold feeds for a day then try frozen bloodworms first thing in the morning.

I just use ambient room lighting. Back and bottom are painted. They're used to people and kids running around; the only thing that spooks them is the siphon tube.

Ejacob
01-18-2016, 09:42 AM
One of the discus had long white stringy poop, so I'm going to start with metro.

Filip
01-18-2016, 02:14 PM
One of the discus had long white stringy poop, so I'm going to start with metro.

Maybe its better to treat only the two fish affected out of the 10 discus ,if others appear100 % healty.

Ejacob
01-21-2016, 09:26 PM
Good news: after a few days of treatment with metro, my two discus are eating again with healthy looking bowel movements. I'm going to complete the metro treatment for the remaining days as per instructions.

Akili
01-21-2016, 09:29 PM
Good news: after a few days of treatment with metro, my two discus are eating again with healthy looking bowel movements. I'm going to complete the metro treatment for the remaining days as per instructions.Glad that it has worked out for.You doing the right thing by completing the medication regime.

Filip
01-22-2016, 03:39 AM
Glad that it has worked out for.You doing the right thing by completing the medication regime.

+1.
I always do at least 10 days metro treat once I start medicating.

Ejacob
01-22-2016, 05:38 PM
+1.
I always do at least 10 days metro treat once I start medicating.

Thanks for the tip, Filip.