PDA

View Full Version : How to set up over flow 125 gal

gordo33
01-17-2016, 11:29 PM
I am looking into purchasing a 125 gal RR Aqueon from my LFS. It is set up with 2 offset overflow boxes each containing 2 1" bulk heads drilled into the bottom of the tank. It comes with a kit containing an overflow stand pipe and return for each box. The recommended set up is an over flow and return in each over flow box. I believe this single stand pipe is a durso setup. Most of what I've read on overflows is the durso tends to be loud. Would it be possible to set up these dual overflow boxes to run a herbie style overflow? Do I need 2 return lines? If only one return line can 4th hole be plugged?

Boyd Luth
01-18-2016, 08:17 AM
pictures would be great :-) Just about any configuration can be plumbed. I would suggest , level the tank, fill, and judge the noise level. I run Durso on my 160, with little noise , the air pumps in my stand ( closed doors ) are actually louder. Not really familiar with the Herbie style, will have to research. Good fortune, and congrats on your 125. I just set up a planted 125 :-).

farebox
01-18-2016, 09:37 AM
I would checkout SD member rickztahome, he has an very quiet system running on his tank.

rickztahone
01-18-2016, 03:45 PM
I am looking into purchasing a 125 gal RR Aqueon from my LFS. It is set up with 2 offset overflow boxes each containing 2 1" bulk heads drilled into the bottom of the tank. It comes with a kit containing an overflow stand pipe and return for each box. The recommended set up is an over flow and return in each over flow box. I believe this single stand pipe is a durso setup. Most of what I've read on overflows is the durso tends to be loud. Would it be possible to set up these dual overflow boxes to run a herbie style overflow? Do I need 2 return lines? If only one return line can 4th hole be plugged?

I don't understand what a overflow kit is? Is it a hang on back box instead of drilled back? Also, I've never run 2 overflow system and all the research I ever put forth on overflows were all aimed towards one overflow. I run a Bean Animal overflow and I have heard only of a handful of people that would even attempt to run 2 simultaneous overflow systems on a BA setup. I think you are better off going with a herbie setup and running a pair of Maggie mufflers:
http://www.marineandreef.com/Maggie_Muffler_Overflow_Standpipe_Muffler_s/695.htm

gordo33
01-18-2016, 07:49 PM
I don't understand what a overflow kit is? Is it a hang on back box instead of drilled back? Also, I've never run 2 overflow system and all the research I ever put forth on overflows were all aimed towards one overflow. I run a Bean Animal overflow and I have heard only of a handful of people that would even attempt to run 2 simultaneous overflow systems on a BA setup. I think you are better off going with a herbie setup and running a pair of Maggie mufflers:
http://www.marineandreef.com/Maggie_Muffler_Overflow_Standpipe_Muffler_s/695.htm

Sorry if I wasn't clear with my discription. It is not a HOB. The bulk heads and plumbing make up the overflow kit. The picture shows one of the two overflow boxes with plumbing that come with the tank. So I am trying to determine since there are 4 1" holes drilled into the bottom of the tank ( 2 per compartment ) can I DYI a herbie style or Bean Animal overflow. For the herbie style use one box for the two stand pipes and the return to the 2nd box and plug the other hole. Or can a bean animal be set up with the first box having the 2 over flow stand pipes that are running similataneous and the 2nd box have the emergency pipe and return plumbing?

The pictures are from the Aqueon web site.
this is the overflow box front view ( there would be 2 in the tank)

I'm not sure what you meant by running two similataneous over flow systems.

Thanks for your input

Jack L
01-18-2016, 08:18 PM
mine came with durso kits

i rebuilt using herbie

it is VERY quiet

the little HOB on the 10 gal q tank is louder.

Jack L
01-18-2016, 08:24 PM
http://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-reef-tank-plumbing-method-basics/

I would not limit myself to 1 return.

Jack L
01-18-2016, 08:30 PM

kit = some company/person puts together $6.50 in PVC and sells it for 60-80 bucks! :)

gordo33
01-18-2016, 09:58 PM
mine came with durso kits

i rebuilt using herbie

it is VERY quiet

the little HOB on the 10 gal q tank is louder.

So is one box housing the 2 stand pipes and the second box for the return(s)? If you can post pics of your set up I would appreciate it. What size pump are you using for the return? Thanks for link I've read that article.

gordo33
01-18-2016, 10:00 PM
Jack, where are you located in PA?

Jack L
01-18-2016, 10:13 PM
So is one box housing the 2 stand pipes and the second box for the return(s)? If you can post pics of your set up I would appreciate it. What size pump are you using for the return? Thanks for link I've read that article.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?120839-Jack-s-140&p=1170383&highlight=#post1170383

i'll have to look for a photo of the setup from behind. i'm sure i took some.
but not much to see, much simpler than the durso kit.

its just two stand pipes about 2" difference in heights

Jack L
01-18-2016, 10:17 PM

mine are all in the same overflow chamber, 2 stand pipes, 2 returns

pump is a mag11. once there was no more water noise, i can hear the pump humming, but only when there is no other noises going on and if i open the cabinet.

it Y's to the 2 returns

Jack L
01-18-2016, 10:21 PM
Sorry if I wasn't clear with my discription. It is not a HOB. The bulk heads and plumbing make up the overflow kit. The picture shows one of the two overflow boxes with plumbing that come with the tank. So I am trying to determine since there are 4 1" holes drilled into the bottom of the tank ( 2 per compartment ) can I DYI a herbie style or Bean Animal overflow. For the herbie style use one box for the two stand pipes and the return to the 2nd box and plug the other hole. Or can a bean animal be set up with the first box having the 2 over flow stand pipes that are running similataneous and the 2nd box have the emergency pipe and return plumbing?

The pictures are from the Aqueon web site.
this is the overflow box front view ( there would be 2 in the tank)

I'm not sure what you meant by running two similataneous over flow systems.

Thanks for your input

that overflow box makes me nervous, if u have an issue in the plumbing, it would drain the whole tank.

the overflows i have seen only spill over the top. i did have and issue with a leaking cracked thread. i was able to remedy it without draining tank. just the overflow chamber into a bucket