PDA

View Full Version : tank mates

1navyguy
01-19-2016, 04:32 PM
I have had an aquarium off and on for the past 25 years. i've had 5 gallons all the way up to my current tank 125 gal. I've wanted to try discus but have been gun shy. I've been thinking about buying 2 this week but not sure if what i have in my tank is friendly enough or to many in the tank for the discus. this is what i have currently. this is my current tank. 125 gallons fresh water. 4 Silver Dollars, 2 Angels, 2 Bala sharks, 8 or 10 various tetras, 1 Black molly, 1 Black Ghost Knife,
1 Pleco, 4 Plattys, 2 Emerald cat fish, 6 Glow fish, 1 Blue Ram, 1 Opaline Gourami, 1 Banjo fish, 1 Red Gourami

jmf3460
01-19-2016, 05:16 PM
I replied to your post on the other thread as well but I will also chime in here:

most of the fish on your list will not do well in discus suitable temperatures. Discus prefer water 82 degrees and up. Your Rams, angels and possible some of the tetras will do ok in this heat but the others will not. Possibly the pleco but it depends on which type of pleco. Ancistrus species do well with discus, other plecos like to feed on the slime coat of discus. Your tank is not suited for discus in my opinion. Most people choose discus first, then tankmates as an afterthought. You seem to have your community tank pretty well established and are considering discus as an afterthought. Have you considered other large centerpiece fish? You could up the number of angels.

Kyla
01-19-2016, 06:23 PM
i'd also say the silver dollars are very strong swimmers and the ones ive known were easily spooked. i wouldnt mix them with discus. the black ghost knife is nocturnal so it may upset the discus at night when they r trying to sleep.

1navyguy
01-19-2016, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the feedback. The Discus were not so much an after thought but more of ok i think i finally want to "dare" try them. as far as the temp of the tank I have always had it around 82-84 and have not had any problems with the fish at that temp. I think I'll hold off on the Discus fish for a while. I like so many others were looking to add them to my tank to add some color. most tropical fish I can get from petsmart or places like that don't have a lot of color. mainly silver color fish and nothing other than angels that get very big. again thanks for the great feed back.

MD.David
01-19-2016, 07:50 PM
My recommendation is get another tank, bare bottoms and only do discus!
Check out some of the sponsors here, super good stock and high quality.
Kenny has some super super nice colours this months shipment.

SlimmSnake
01-20-2016, 02:42 PM
Also, if/when you do decide to get discus, don't make the mistake of just getting a small number of them... read all the advice on these boards about getting 6 or more all at the same time together. Discus only establish a stable and peaceful pecking order in their group if there are at least that many - in a smaller number, they will be stressed and may take out their frustrations on the weaker individuals until they perish.

DISCUS STU
01-20-2016, 03:08 PM
Unfortunately Discus are not community tank fish and will generally suffer if the conditions for the tank aren't built around their needs. Vice versa they will not adapt to general community tank conditions in regard to water quality and tank incompatible tank mates.

In a word, no, don't do it. But please read up on this website and other the other available web resources about successfully keeping Discus. High maintenance fish but well worth it.

You've already taken the first step by consulting with people that already have experience keeping Discus.