PDA

View Full Version : Are these good Discus?

delta5
01-21-2016, 12:40 PM

These are the two Discus i'd be buying.

John_Nicholson
01-21-2016, 12:47 PM
Hard to tell from one picture but I would rate them as marginal. Big eye's and not much color.

-john

delta5
01-21-2016, 12:56 PM
Hard to tell from one picture but I would rate them as marginal. Big eye's and not much color.

-john

Thank you. From what I have read so far the eye to body size isn't good. Along with being soo dark. If their fins have a dark edge along the entire fin, is this a sign of rot?

Phillydubs
01-21-2016, 01:24 PM
I would shy away from those unless they are free and you want to help them or test your skills... if you are spending $ you can do much better elsewhere like from our sponsors here... Hans always has pairs ready to go and you can check with Eric at Carolina Discus to see what he has if you are looking for a pair...

delta5
01-21-2016, 01:37 PM
I would shy away from those unless they are free and you want to help them or test your skills... if you are spending $ you can do much better elsewhere like from our sponsors here... Hans always has pairs ready to go and you can check with Eric at Carolina Discus to see what he has if you are looking for a pair...

For me it's not about making a profit, but rather enjoying raising the fry and being able to sale them without being over run by fry. Of course if I somehow make a profit that'd be a plus, but not my main goal.

Phillydubs
01-21-2016, 01:39 PM
My reply had nothing to do with a profit at all, more along the lines of saving your hard earned money when it could be spent on better stock for your enjoyment and sake... I don't know what your plans are with them...

Point being, if that pair is going to run you $200 and they dont look that good, why not spend that $200 on something worth it and enjoy it and not worry if they are sick... see what I mean?

If you had $100 to spend on food and were craving red meat, would you go to mcdonalds or a nice steak house?

delta5
01-21-2016, 01:48 PM
My reply had nothing to do with a profit at all, more along the lines of saving your hard earned money when it could be spent on better stock for your enjoyment and sake... I don't know what your plans are with them...

Point being, if that pair is going to run you $200 and they dont look that good, why not spend that $200 on something worth it and enjoy it and not worry if they are sick... see what I mean?

If you had $100 to spend on food and were craving red meat, would you go to mcdonalds or a nice steak house?

I see what you mean. I'll look for a local breeder. Buying online isn't my thing.

Phillydubs
01-21-2016, 01:51 PM
Uh-oh Another mail order disbeliever!! Hahah...

Have no fear, it will be the best decision you made... trust me. I was the same way... did the lfs thing years ago for my first discus... haven't been in a LFS in years... between amazon, kens, etc for supplies and the fish you can buy online, there is no need...

Where are you from delta?

delta5
01-21-2016, 01:52 PM

Have no fear, it will be the best decision you made... trust me. I was the same way... did the lfs thing years ago for my first discus... haven't been in a LFS in years... between amazon, kens, etc for supplies and the fish you can buy online, there is no need...

Where are you from delta?

Ohio, near dayton.

warblad79
01-21-2016, 01:55 PM
The pair seem small to me, its not a good buy. You can order from one of the sponsor here and I can assure they probably 3x better quality.

Phillydubs
01-21-2016, 01:57 PM
Oh, I am not sure who is near you, if any but you can check the supplier section...

That being said, do not fear the shipping... it is at no risk to you... if something goes wrong you are in good hands with the sponsor and there are rarely any horrific issues.... You will literally be sent pictures and video of the exact fish you are getting as if you were at their place... not much else you can ask for...

Skip
01-21-2016, 02:04 PM

we all go thru this phase..

Second Hand Pat
01-21-2016, 02:12 PM
Is this a confirmed pair? i.e. Have you seen them carry fry? If not could be two fish, one which happened to lay eggs.
Pat

delta5
01-21-2016, 02:20 PM
Is this a confirmed pair? i.e. Have you seen them carry fry? If not could be two fish, one which happened to lay eggs.
Pat

They have laid eggs and the eggs have hatched.

Lighthouse7
01-21-2016, 02:29 PM
Have no fear the SD SPONSORS are hear....! - Lighthouse

delta5
01-21-2016, 02:37 PM
Kenny's Discus are looking very tempting.

Second Hand Pat
01-21-2016, 02:47 PM

You will not regret getting well grown. large adult discus. They are breath taking in person. :)
Pat

rickztahone
01-21-2016, 03:51 PM

You will not regret getting well grown. large adult discus. They are breath taking in person. :)
Pat
agreed. If we could get sponsor discus to the hands of every single person who rolled through the forum, we'd have probably 10 times more members still in the hobby.

Second Hand Pat
01-23-2016, 12:26 PM

Wish you had gone that route :(
Pat

delta5
01-23-2016, 12:33 PM
Wish you had gone that route :(
Pat

They would have been much better, but these will be just fine for me. If I manage to keep these alive and healthy. Then i'll move on to buying quality discus from Kenny's store.

Second Hand Pat
01-23-2016, 12:35 PM
They would have been much better, but these will be just fine for me. If I manage to keep these alive and healthy. Then i'll move on to buying quality discus from Kenny's store.

Best of luck with them Delta. Keep us posted on their progress. :)
Pat

Jason.M
01-23-2016, 01:17 PM
I was a first time online fish buyer recently for my first ever discus. From my research here I quickly found out the secret to discus keeping, and the first golden rule, is to get good discus. I got over the stigma of it all and ordered them. I did lose 2 after some time but they were fine upon arrival and the remaining 4 of my group are doing great. It took me awhile to get things right with this group but I'm fully confident in my discus keeping abilities now.
The thing I was trying to avoid by getting good discus was fighting an up hill battle with constantly sick fish that would ruin the experience for me. I didn't want to treat a tank of sick fish for days, weeks, months, or even years until they finally expire.... then say they are hard to keep, and never keep them again. And that seems to be what happens with local bought discus all over the place. You just can't get them healthy. You can keep them clinging on to life for some time but they are never truly healthy. I wish you the best with yours and hope this doesn't happen to you. But as a new and first time online buyer I like to let people know that it is a waaayyyyy better experience then you think it will be.

Altum Nut
01-23-2016, 01:23 PM

Best of luck with them Delta. Keep us posted on their progress. :)
Pat

Delta...work with these for now as Discus keeping is a learning circle. There is always a chance that the genes or parents of these two may be of good quality and the previous owner was just lacking optimal conditions and low quality foods while growing them out.
The best of luck with them.

...Ralph