PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy RO filter?

RogueDiscus
01-23-2016, 10:14 PM
I have an RO filter I bought from a well-known discus dealer. I've decided to by a second filter system. I'm wondering where folks buy their's from. Also, are the cartridges pretty standard between brands?

One of my biggest challenges has always been producing enough RO for the breeding I was trying to do, and to cut the very hard well water I have. I have about max 60psi in my water line, and my filter only produces about 30 gal per day. I've come up with the idea of running a second filter, basically in parallel, and doubling my output. Any thoughts are welcome.

Machismo
01-23-2016, 10:19 PM
Here is a link a Gentalman gave me, this is what he uses, He has Well water too. He's been successfull at breeding as well. http://m.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=26888

tvoydan
01-23-2016, 10:50 PM
Buy my RO/DI equipment from Bulk Reef Supply.

Setup my unit to feed the waste output from 1st membrane into 2nd membrane similar to this:

http://www.mrsaltwatertank.com/love-rodi-but-hate-the-waste-heres-the-solution-with-side-benefits/

Output from both membranes Y together feed into a dual DI resin setup so one DI resin canister gets filled up, there is always a second one in line as backup.

Here's another video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBkFi_4kiDk

DJW
01-24-2016, 01:42 PM
I have an RO filter I bought from a well-known discus dealer. I've decided to by a second filter system. I'm wondering where folks buy their's from. Also, are the cartridges pretty standard between brands?

One of my biggest challenges has always been producing enough RO for the breeding I was trying to do, and to cut the very hard well water I have. I have about max 60psi in my water line, and my filter only produces about 30 gal per day. I've come up with the idea of running a second filter, basically in parallel, and doubling my output. Any thoughts are welcome.

If the well cycles 40-60 and the output is 30gpd in the winter, I'm guessing the membrane is rated for 50 or 75gpd?

With mine I was able to increase the output by adjusting the pressure switch at the well. My well sits 20 feet below the elevation of the house which means I am losing 8 psi to gravity. In your case it might be worth a try if the well is level with the house. There is some slight risk of a leak showing up in your plumbing when you do this... I pushed mine to 60-80psi at the well without a problem.

A booster pump could greatly increase the output also, but how much depends on the particulars in your system-- pressure, temp, membrane. The pumps are noisy though and cost as much as a new filter.

If I was getting a new one I wouldn't get anything less than a 100gpd filter, you only get the rated gallons under perfect conditions that never exist.

Dan

RogueDiscus
01-24-2016, 07:04 PM
Thanks Dan,
Yep, 50gpd. My pressure tank is at ground level. I'll have to talk to my well guy, but raising the range at the pressure switch sounds like a possibility. I actually have the pressure boost pump, but I don't yet have the right space to set it up in, plus as you mentioned, it has drawbacks. My current RO filter says I can just replace the 50gpd filter with a 100 gpd filter. I've always wondered how that made a difference if I don't have more pressure.

DJW
01-24-2016, 07:28 PM
I'm not sure about the pressure when you upgrade the gpd. I have a 200gpd setup that uses two 100gpd membranes in parallel. With pressure at 40 psi it makes 75 gpd, and at 70 psi it makes 180 gpd. With freshwater we don't really care if the TDS of the output goes up a little because we are either remineralizing or mixing back some tap.

When considering an adjustment to the well cut-in/cut-out pressures, what counts is the head loss (or gain). Thats the difference in elevation between the well's pressure tank and the RO filter.

RogueDiscus
01-24-2016, 07:43 PM
Thanks again. My filter is only a couple of feet above ground level. So, it sounds like your system is similar to what I have in mind.

Pardal
01-24-2016, 08:56 PM

You can use Ken's Supplies He is an sponsor here. I purchase the 100gpd Coral life with the pump and add a four canister DI since then my water quality and amount increase to the double.
IME the water pressure is definitely a factor in amount , quality and life of your membrane.
Another website that is good on the prices but is more DIY is bulkreefsupply.com
Julian

Cosmo
01-24-2016, 11:51 PM
I buy mine at airwaterice.com - they sell combo packs at great prices