PDA

View Full Version : Sandra's Underwater "Flower" Garden

Stonecrazy6
01-26-2016, 03:44 PM
It's taken quite some time to get to this point.. My ideal setup was having the discus the main color attraction with "something" as added interest. The pricey driftwood just turned black onver time and it just wasn't what I wanted.

I'll add more info on the SUPER EASY TO MAINTAIN setup by my Wonderful Hubby.. it's all automatic except for the bottom vacuuming.

I'll work on getting better photos too.. this one was in low light with my phone.. and what the fish types are and their sizes..

I was just excited how the rocks and plants (silk) looked last night when I arranged it.. had to share!!

:)

Phillydubs
01-26-2016, 03:56 PM
Very cool! Looking forward to more info...

rickztahone
01-26-2016, 04:22 PM
Very nice setup. TFS

timvriens
01-26-2016, 04:35 PM
very nice fish and setup

Second Hand Pat
01-26-2016, 04:52 PM
Nicely done Sandra :thumbsup:
Pat

tunerhead24
01-26-2016, 09:05 PM
I'm curious to see your automatic maintenance setup, Ive been looking into a drip system for my tank.

Stonecrazy6
01-26-2016, 09:30 PM
tank parameters and equipment
Equipment:
100g Drilled tank w/sump Marineland tidepool 2
36w UV Sterlizer
Dedicated RO drip 30g daily water changes
Pros/cons to this setup:
The tidepool isn't made anymore, but I was able to get one on ebay. The drawers for media are huge and easily allow replacing filter pads and what not. A sump system also will have a tremendous amout of water surface area for oxygen exchange. No noisy air pumps here.
I don't do any water changes anymore, the drip system is on 100% RO water. The drip system adds around 30 gallons each day. I use about 2 cups of crushed coral and discus essentials keeping the ph stable at around 7.3-7.5
One draw back I see so far - is if I had to treat the entire tank for anything.. At that instance, I would then restore back to regular water changes.
I was Using the MASSIVE UV was to keep any critters at bay, which it has. It also prevented any algae from forming. That was a pleasant surprise. There is some in the photos since the replacement bulb I bought was broken and getting returned.. :(
I have to replace sediment and carbon cartridge every 5-6 months and the uv lamp every 6 months. about $120-ish a year. Well worth the cost to keep the tank clean and easy.

The Outside:
Wooden stand refinished in a Barnwood -like look.. still need to do the top strip of the tank to match
Faux stone painted bottom
black painted back with blue sparkle paint here and there.. :) couldn't help myself to put a bit of bling!
Different sizes of artificial rock and silk plants.
MIsc: heater covers , bio home biomedia which "eats" nitrates , and Ph moniter

Underwater Flower Garden Line up:
left to right
red eagle 4 "+/-
Rafflesia (spelling?) 5 "+/-
Golden checkerboard pigeon 6 "+/-
Golden Melon 6"+/-
Fuji Red Male 6 "+/-
golden diamond 4.5 "+/-
Altum Flora 5.5 "+/-
Fuji Red "female", but probably a male 5.5 "+/-
Super Red melon 4.5 "+/- best full red fish ever!
Rafflesia 4 "+/-

below is some photos of the painting process I did on my small tank and the main tank.. did it just like a guy that posted it to the web.. need link, just ask. Love the looks of it..

Stonecrazy6
01-26-2016, 09:35 PM
I'm curious to see your automatic maintenance setup, Ive been looking into a drip system for my tank.

My Husband used irrigation drip tips and put them on the output of the RO... very simple.. We ordered several tips from.. LOWEs I believe.. .5 gallon to 3 gallons an hour.. let me know if you want to see/know anything else.

The hard part was the R/O waste water drain.. Currently we are using a hose to drain into the back yard. Come Summer we'll have to figure out something else. We set up a drain to our sump but it wasn't big enough and overflowed ... I also had a place to drain water during a bottom cleaning that we'll have to fix .. always a project, right?!!

tunerhead24
01-26-2016, 09:36 PM
Sandra thats an amazing setup!

Stonecrazy6
01-26-2016, 09:50 PM
Sandra thats an amazing setup!

THANK YOU Tunerhead.. and everyone else.. !! I just gaze at the tank now and it really hits the spot for relaxation. I have been adding fish since Nov of 2015, and now it's FINALLY fully stocked. AND I am not a slave to water changes anymore..

Before the last shipment the aggression was ... disturbing to watch. Not what I had in mind for my tank.. I was told to add more fish, which sounded like a sales line.. but it REALLY did calm everyone down!! just the usual pecking and short chasing now.. instead of all out war!

Now the next problem is.. I bought more fish!! ahh! I knew I shouldn't but I couldn't help myself.. where is the nearest DA (discus anonymous)??!! Now I need to re home or have another permanent tank.. I'll probably set up a tank because I can't decide which fish to rehome..

lol!!

Stonecrazy6
01-26-2016, 10:04 PM
sorry, the "line up" of strains got separated.. here is a slightly better pic with the line up below..93771

left to right
Golden checkerboard pigeon female 6 "+/-
Golden Melon male 6"+/-
Rafflesia female (spelling?) 5 "+/-
red eagle female 4 "+/- bottom
Altum Flora female 5.5 "+/-
golden diamond female?4.5 "+/-
Fuji Red Male 6 "+/-
Super Red melon female 4.5 "+/- best full red fish ever!
Rafflesia female 4 "+/-
Fuji Red "female", but probably a male 5.5 "+/- in back.. she's/he is really something.. amazing confirmation

rickztahone
01-27-2016, 01:39 PM
Sandra, very nice tank and discus.

Where did you get that nice sump container? Looks perfectly made for a wet/dry system.

Stonecrazy6
01-27-2016, 01:52 PM
Sandra, very nice tank and discus.

Where did you get that nice sump container? Looks perfectly made for a wet/dry system.

its a marineland tidepool 2.. it's is awesome.. but they don't make it anymore.. :( I bought this one from ebay and when another one came up I bought that one too.. I have used canister and hang on back filters and this is far superior and a breeze to replace media, house heaters..etc There are three 10 x 9 x 2" drawers for media/filter pads..

rickztahone
01-27-2016, 02:45 PM
its a marineland tidepool 2.. it's is awesome.. but they don't make it anymore.. :( I bought this one from ebay and when another one came up I bought that one too.. I have used canister and hang on back filters and this is far superior and a breeze to replace media, house heaters..etc There are three 10 x 9 x 2" drawers for media/filter pads..

That is pretty cool. I thought it was a container you happened to find to use as a sump, but that was its intent from the get-go! No wonder it looked so suitable. I googled it and it actually looks like it has a "Rollermat" type look to it. Have you seen the new Rollermat's?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCyUdIDg4KQ
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/automatic-roller-mat-theiling.html

I wonder why they stopped making them? I kind of wish they had a cover though to keep humidity in.

Stonecrazy6
01-27-2016, 03:00 PM
yea.. I had it on my tanks about 10 years ago.. I just got back into fish keeping 2 years ago.. When I decided to start again, I searched hard for one/two.. always a back up, right!

wow.. the automatic roller get up is way cool! Looks like a birthday gift in the making.. a bit pricey though!

You are right, a cover would be nice.

rickztahone
01-27-2016, 03:20 PM
yea.. I had it on my tanks about 10 years ago.. I just got back into fish keeping 2 years ago.. When I decided to start again, I searched hard for one/two.. always a back up, right!

wow.. the automatic roller get up is way cool! Looks like a birthday gift in the making.. a bit pricey though!

You are right, a cover would be nice.

yeah, pricey indeed. A buddy of mine is actually setting one up in his 150g tank, check it out here:
http://scapeclub.org/forum/showthread.php?20932-Bala-s-Scapes-150g-on-pg-18&p=293356&viewfull=1#post293356

This tank is actually the one that will 5 out of my remaining 13 discus. He will be buying them in the next few weeks in this newly set up tank.

Stonecrazy6
02-03-2016, 01:39 PM
Here is a video of my lovelies... had a nice quiet night and turned off all the lights in the room..

https://youtu.be/AkNaEbnsDcE

Stonecrazy6
02-03-2016, 01:51 PM
couldn't find how to embed the video.. anyone know ??

rickztahone
02-05-2016, 10:43 PM
couldn't find how to embed the video.. anyone know ??

If you click "reply with quote" on my post here you will see the code to embed a video:

https://youtu.be/AkNaEbnsDcE

Stonecrazy6
02-06-2016, 10:05 AM
awesome!! THANK YOU! much nicer to have it right in the post!!

Larry Bugg
02-06-2016, 10:20 AM
Simple and uncluttered can be so beautiful.

Stonecrazy6
02-06-2016, 10:39 AM
THANK YOU Larry! I have been resisting putting more in there.. but maybe something with some color.. flower maybe.

I have been collecting some river rocks and Labradorite chunks that may work. I used some black silicone to hold the pieces and angle them to catch the flash. They will need to be coated with resin before I put them in..

Stonecrazy6
02-07-2016, 08:16 PM
https://youtu.be/iNxKxh0_280

Usually these guys are more excited when I come up to the tank.. Will try again another time to get that activity.. it's fun when the discus are "SO" happy to see you..!

rickztahone
02-11-2016, 09:09 PM
Cool video Sandra. I really like that turq. It is the only non-red based discus there which makes it stand out even more. TFS

Stonecrazy6
02-11-2016, 09:17 PM
thanks! I WAS trying for a balance of fish/color.. lol.. I do have another turk and a neon sapphire that will replace some of the red/orange.. If anyone in the S. Indiana area wants some fish, pretty cheap.. just holler! Three will be finding new homes next month..

:(

Sandra

Stonecrazy6
02-28-2016, 10:26 AM

Akili
02-28-2016, 11:12 AM
Very Nice collection Sandra Thanks for sharing.

Stonecrazy6
02-28-2016, 02:32 PM
THANK YOU Akili!

this outcroping/background will be the next on my list of "to do/buy"..

http://http://www.designsbynature.net/products-page/rocks-modules/bfr-001/

I don't want to empty a tank to install a full 3d background.. so my "idea" is to silicone enough rocks to the back of this to get it to sink.. then it could be pushed up against the back.

I really love my black background, however, the fish have "adjusted" to the darkness. I have found some folks saying discus will "pepper" more in dark backgrounds, like a camophlage response. This seems to hold true, since I have seen much more peppering show up when the fish get into the main tank. I would hope the lighter rocks may diminish some of the peppering. Plus is is WAY COOL looking!! wonder how it would look upside down? humm.. photo shop time.. I'll share if I get around to do that.

The fish above are what is available for rehomeing..

PS.. any sales resulting from this site will generate a donation to the forum.. btw.

Jack L
02-28-2016, 02:37 PM
very colorful collection!

Las Vegas
02-28-2016, 04:31 PM
I saw a "Tequlia Sunrise" in there! Ha. Nice vid and nice Discus.

Stonecrazy6
03-04-2016, 01:52 PM
thank you las vegas and Jack!! Once the new fish get into the tank I'll work another video.

Sandra

nofearengineer
03-27-2016, 05:08 PM
Gosh...I wish I were farther along in my build. I'm in Evansville, so buying your extras would be a no-brainer. Unfortunately, the screw-up building my aquarium put me about 6 weeks behind schedule, sooooo....Good luck on finding good homes for them. Keep me in mind if your discuholism strikes again.

Stonecrazy6
03-27-2016, 07:56 PM
Gosh...I wish I were farther along in my build. I'm in Evansville, so buying your extras would be a no-brainer. Unfortunately, the screw-up building my aquarium put me about 6 weeks behind schedule, sooooo....Good luck on finding good homes for them. Keep me in mind if your discuholism strikes again.

been some lookers, but no takers just yet.. someone is supposed to come out next weekend.. fingers crossed.. I am having regrets already about the fugi.. :(( such a lovely fish..

off to a DA meeting (discus anonymous) LOL!!! IF you don't mind , I will be stealing your term for the discus addition. :)

doesn't Kenny have a new list out now?? I'm so sick!!

Sandra

nofearengineer
03-28-2016, 01:36 AM
been some lookers, but no takers just yet.. someone is supposed to come out next weekend.. fingers crossed.. I am having regrets already about the fugi.. :(( such a lovely fish..

off to a DA meeting (discus anonymous) LOL!!! IF you don't mind , I will be stealing your term for the discus addition. :)

doesn't Kenny have a new list out now?? I'm so sick!!

Sandra

Feel free to use my term. My royalty will be one discus per 20 utterances...very fair imho!

Actually, I am getting my 55 QT tanks this coming Tuesday. By next weekend, I will have them on DIY racks, with a bunch of sponge filters batch cycling (fishless) in a 20 gallon. It won't be long, really. I just have to keep pushing and staying patient (contradiction? lol)

Stonecrazy6
04-01-2016, 08:34 PM
the discus has gone to their new home.. I'm kind of sad.. but the tank will be better for it.

Sandra

Stonecrazy6
09-15-2016, 11:27 AM
I have had the pleasure to buy fish from a few sources.. discus and fancy goldfish. I have rated the sellers and feel posting it would be of some help to folks to know what to expect. I wish I had another discus seller to rate, but I have only bought from one source.

http://www.eastcoastranchu.com/

http://www.dandyorandas.com/auction-list/page/2/

http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?119-Kenny-s-Discus-(Kenny-Cheung)-Daly-City-Californiahttp://