PDA

View Full Version : Buying discus

Hbshark
01-28-2016, 01:14 AM
So I want to get discus for the first time I live in California and want to get some discus from a breeder hoping I can get quality for cheaper maybe since the lfs has them pretty expensive and not colorful. Does anyone know or can anyone give me links or send me to the right place, to good discus I can buy from maybe pick up if not getting them shipped would be fine?

FishFanMan
01-28-2016, 01:22 AM
For a beginner like yourself you might want to go for the biggest discus you can afford. At minimum 4 inches. So you may want to look for importer of quality discus instead of a breeder who sells quarter sized discus which require herculean effort to get to 4 inches. Look in the sponsor section and then goggle for local discus sellers. Also look at craigslist. But do your homework on keeping discus!

Lighthouse7
01-28-2016, 02:04 AM
Kennys discus 650-290-1283 you can't go wrong - Lighthouse

alcastro
01-28-2016, 02:20 AM
For a beginner like yourself you might want to go for the biggest discus you can afford. At minimum 4 inches. So you may want to look for importer of quality discus instead of a breeder who sells quarter sized discus which require herculean effort to get to 4 inches. Look in the sponsor section and then goggle for local discus sellers. Also look at craigslist. But do your homework on keeping discus!

Where in California are you

warblad79
01-28-2016, 02:41 AM
So I want to get discus for the first time I live in California and want to get some discus from a breeder hoping I can get quality for cheaper maybe since the lfs has them pretty expensive and not colorful. Does anyone know or can anyone give me links or send me to the right place, to good discus I can buy from maybe pick up if not getting them shipped would be fine?

I live in the south bay area and I have a lot of fry ranging from 1.5" - 4". Mostly Giant Flora and Giant Flora Cross

Hbshark
01-28-2016, 10:17 AM
Awesome I don't know much about the strains or how they look so I would need to look at them I just want colorful bright fish. And yea I have heard raising them is a hassle but I don't want fully grown discus either something that I can see grow maybe just a little if 4" is ideal for a beginner like me that would be fine.

@warblad79 what area of California do you live in?

rickztahone
01-28-2016, 03:38 PM
There are quite a lot of us in the SoCal area, but not all of us are breeders, but we do have some :)
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?121675-What-area-of-SoCal-are-you-from

warblad79
01-28-2016, 06:51 PM
Awesome I don't know much about the strains or how they look so I would need to look at them I just want colorful bright fish. And yea I have heard raising them is a hassle but I don't want fully grown discus either something that I can see grow maybe just a little if 4" is ideal for a beginner like me that would be fine.

@warblad79 what area of California do you live in?

San Jose