PDA

View Full Version : Bleach Scent

discushobbies
01-28-2016, 10:52 PM
I was sterilizing my equipment and I used bleach. Ran water through the barrel three times with safe in it each time. Left it to dry overnight and went to fill water today and I could smell some of the bleach anyway. I did two doses of prime. Can I do more just to be safe? Will prime instantly neutralize it and let it be ready for discus?

Akili
01-28-2016, 11:08 PM
Two doses of prime is more then enough. If you do not like the smell of bleach,wipe it down with white vinegar.Vinegar being acidic may change your pH a little but not much overall.Vinegar is a disinfectant and neutralizer too.

DJW
01-28-2016, 11:36 PM
Two doses of prime is more then enough. If you do not like the smell of bleach,wipe it down with white vinegar.Vinegar being acidic may change your pH a little but not much overall.Vinegar is a disinfectant and neutralizer too.

+1
I also use vinegar after bleach. Bleach contains a little sodium hydroxide, which adheres to surfaces. The vinegar will neutralize it, and it washes off easily so there shouldn't be any residual acid.

discushobbies
01-30-2016, 01:28 AM
I am testing if there is any bleach residue left so I put the runt in a pot of the water from the barrel. What are symptoms of bleach contamination? I put it in and it jumped right out. Was it scared?

Akili
01-30-2016, 08:13 AM
I am testing if there is any bleach residue left so I put the runt in a pot of the water from the barrel. What are symptoms of bleach contamination? I put it in and it jumped right out. Was it scared?Perhaps but jumping out may have nothing to do with bleach scent or residue.Anything that you bleach and is left to dry for a sufficient time the bleach will dissipate.

MendoMan
01-30-2016, 09:21 AM
When you use bleach be sure it's straight bleach with no scent or splash guard added.