PDA

View Full Version : Young Discus Stopped eating

Showjumper911
01-31-2016, 11:19 AM
I have a young discus that I have had for maybe a month and when I got him he was eating great and very active. Within the last week he has stopped eating. I will feed bloodworms and then feed beef heart and the food can hit him in the face and he refuses to eat. He overall looks healthy and is swimming around and in good color. He is currently in a tank with 3 other discus and angelfish. I am not sure what to do but I don't want to lose my fish. Please help.

ericNH
01-31-2016, 01:47 PM
One of the reasons why an apparently healthy discus stops eating after a month or so is that it's succumbing to the pathogens in your tank. The new discus, even in seemingly decent water, is encountering pathogens it hasn't had to deal with before. They build up over time and slowly overwhelm your new fish. You may start to see white stringy feces, which I believe is the discus shedding some of it's digestive tract lining. That's a bad sign in my limited experience, and few of my discus have survived when they got to that point. At the risk of sounding repetitive, large daily water changes and tank vacuuming, and even removing or severely recducing your substrate, may turn this around.

I only relate what I know from experience; I am no expert. Keep an eye out for responses from some of the experts here. And good luck, I hope he makes it.

Showjumper911
01-31-2016, 02:07 PM
I tank is relatively new and I do lots of water changes as of now. I use RO water and my tank chemistry is perfect. I wonder if maybe when he was new and such a great eater if he ate to much and is blocked. Is there anything I can do for that? Thanks

Second Hand Pat
01-31-2016, 02:16 PM
Can you describe your tank, how often and percentages water changes you are doing? Also are you re-mining your RO water? Pictures of the tank and fish in question would be helpful.
Pat

Showjumper911
01-31-2016, 02:33 PM
It's a 60 gallon tanks. Last week I did daily changes of about 5 gallons with a gravel cleaner. What is re-mining? I get my water from my mother so I will have to check with her.

Showjumper911
01-31-2016, 02:37 PM

Showjumper911
01-31-2016, 02:38 PM

Showjumper911
01-31-2016, 02:49 PM
I forgot to mention that for the last 4 days I have been doing 5 gallon water changes every other day.

Akili
01-31-2016, 02:56 PM
I forgot to mention that for the last 4 days I have been doing 5 gallon water changes every other day.That is not enough water change. You need to increase your water changes to a daily schedule with much larger % of water. You need RO water for breeding, Regular water from the tap will work fine if you age your water.

Akili
01-31-2016, 02:59 PM
By the way ,do not know if you have watched this video by the owner of this site,if you have not then spend an hour of your time and watch it

https://youtu.be/VXe3VKh7qF8