PDA

View Full Version : Can't get my fdbw cubes to stick

ericNH
01-31-2016, 02:03 PM
Hi All, I just starting using Al's fdbw w/spinach cubes, and my fish love it, but I have a weird problem. The cube doesn't stick securely to side of the tank, and after only a couple of nibbles it floats off and only one of my discus goes after it once it's floating. You should've seen how fat his distended belly was after eating the majority of that cube. Am I missing something? Is there some sort of trick to get the cube to stick to the glass more securely? I want ALL my discus to partake. Thanks in advance!

Mustanggtandgsxr
01-31-2016, 04:03 PM
I just use feeding cones. Mine stick to the glass, but like you said,it will float and my discus will not chase after it. Still trying to figure out how to get them to eat food in the upper part of the tank.

Akili
01-31-2016, 04:13 PM
There are a couple of ideas in this thread hope it helps
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?105986-How-to-mak-food-stick-on-aquarium-glass

Phillydubs
01-31-2016, 05:03 PM
You have to put it in the water and press it tomtjenhrass immediately... I noticed if I wait or don't get it pushed on quickly it gets a tad soft and pulls off...

DonMD
01-31-2016, 06:10 PM
Eric, is the inside of your glass clean? If it's been a couple days since you've wiped down the inside of the glass, any slime buildup will prevent good adhesion. -Don

ericNH
01-31-2016, 09:53 PM
I just use feeding cones. Mine stick to the glass, but like you said,it will float and my discus will not chase after it. Still trying to figure out how to get them to eat food in the upper part of the tank.
I tried using a cone, the apertures seem too small to let enough out for them to be interested. But thanks for the tip Mustanggtandgsxr. I'm a little relieved to hear that I'm not the only person who had some trouble with this.

There are a couple of ideas in this thread hope it helps
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?105986-How-to-mak-food-stick-on-aquarium-glass
Thanks Akili, I read through it and found some useful info there.

You have to put it in the water and press it tomtjenhrass immediately... I noticed if I wait or don't get it pushed on quickly it gets a tad soft and pulls off...
This seemed to really help out alot - I tried it and the cube stuck quite a bit longer than usual. Thank you Philludubs!

Eric, is the inside of your glass clean? If it's been a couple days since you've wiped down the inside of the glass, any slime buildup will prevent good adhesion. -Don
I appreciate the response, Don. I thought the same thing - so I've been cleaning a spot for the cubes to stick but still had issues. The inside of my tank is clean in general though. I started daily wipe-downs with my tank changes about a week ago after reading a thread on this subject here on SD.

Phillydubs
01-31-2016, 10:15 PM
Glad it helped. I noticed early ok this was my problem I was too slow and it didn't work too well now it's a quick stick and you are good... Also don't be afraid to really push them and smash them on that was also an early hang up of mine I wouldn't smash it too much now I really press it hard let it smush not to worry the discus will eat every bit of that discus crack!!!

FishFanMan
01-31-2016, 10:38 PM
This is why I like loose FDBWs. It quickly sinks into the water column and everyone gets to eat them. No fighting for food!

ericNH
02-01-2016, 12:39 PM
I got it right this morning. When I stuck the cube to the tank wall it stayed there. Now that is what I call convenient. Love it!! And so do my discus!

Akili
02-01-2016, 12:41 PM
I got it right this morning. When I stuck the cube to the tank wall it stayed there. Now that is what I call convenient. Love it!! And so do my discus!Did you make any changes ???

ericNH
02-01-2016, 12:53 PM
Well the thing that really seemed to make the most difference was sticking it quickly to the tank wall. I used a little more force this time also.

Phillydubs
02-01-2016, 12:55 PM
Nice job! Enjoy... My personal opinion that the cubes are less mess... Seems to me that the loose ones just fly all over and a lot is missed or falls to the bottom... My guys like to tussle for position on the cubes and as they attack them, a lot of them fly about anyways... I suppose it is all personal preference...

Just make sure to split up feeding stations across the glass so they can all feast, I usually do 3-4 "stations" and every one scarfs them down happily!

ericNH
02-01-2016, 01:00 PM
Yea Phillydubs your advice on this was spot-on. Thank you!

I stuck only one cube on and they all came in and kept jostling for position - I really liked seeing that active bait-ball-looking thing happening :) Very cool! And I know that they're getting great nutrition from these things, so I feel great about it. I wonder if I'll notice an up-tick in activity now that these fdbw's have been added to the menu - I wouldn't be surprised.

pitdogg2
02-01-2016, 05:01 PM
I like to use an upside down worm cone. they stay in there for a long time and never worry about the piece getting pulled off and sucked into the intake.

rickztahone
02-01-2016, 06:19 PM
I like to use an upside down worm cone. they stay in there for a long time and never worry about the piece getting pulled off and sucked into the intake.

Same here. I have been feeding my group of discus from an upside down cone since they were an inch. They never had trouble with it and still do not to this day.

DanCBW
02-01-2016, 09:20 PM
Sorry for the Size