PDA

View Full Version : Adding pure RO water to tank?

delta5
01-31-2016, 03:00 PM
I was wondering if it would be safe to run my Ro unit directly into the tank to simulate rainfall?

MD.David
01-31-2016, 03:24 PM
No problem, just don't lower your TDS too low (below 15-40ppm), depending on how much natural buffering your tap water has. You just have to monitor your PH so it doesn't become unstable and start to swing.
My water I can lower it to 12-15ppm and its still very stable.

DJW
01-31-2016, 04:02 PM
I ran RO continuously at one time, along with an IV drip for minerals. You need a drilled overflow because siphon type overflows need more flow to keep working.

delta5
01-31-2016, 04:35 PM
I ran RO continuously at one time, along with an IV drip for minerals. You need a drilled overflow because siphon type overflows need more flow to keep working.

Thats not an option for me. I may try adding a clay pot or a white pvc pipe to see if that will get them to spawn. Maybe remove the driftwood. My new TDS meter will be here monday but I don't think my TDS is not much of an issue as the GH/KH are both at 5 drops right now.

Since putting the RO line dripping into the tank the male is doing a lot of the shacking motions, but I think the female isn't interested in laying eggs on the black pipes to my filters or the driftwood. She has only laid eggs on white pvc pipe at the store.

Akili
01-31-2016, 05:45 PM
Thats not an option for me. I may try adding a clay pot or a white pvc pipe to see if that will get them to spawn. Maybe remove the driftwood. My new TDS meter will be here monday but I don't think my TDS is not much of an issue as the GH/KH are both at 5 drops right now.

Since putting the RO line dripping into the tank the male is doing a lot of the shacking motions, but I think the female isn't interested in laying eggs on the black pipes to my filters or the driftwood. She has only laid eggs on white pvc pipe at the store.When it come to Discus spawning you have to have patience.It takes some time to settle in their new home and you have had this pair for about week only. In the meantime provide a suitable item for them to spawn on like spawning cone and if you do not have one a clay pot turned upside down or even a large empty wine bottle( can be filled with sand and capped). Good Luck.

FishFanMan
01-31-2016, 10:29 PM
I'm not convinced that water params are the key to convince discus to spawn. I do believe it's probably important after the eggs are fertized. You may have 2 discus but not interested in pairing up.

Akili
01-31-2016, 10:43 PM
I'm not convinced that water params are the key to convince discus to spawn. I do believe it's probably important after the eggs are fertized. You may have 2 discus but not interested in pairing up.OP picked a pair that had spawned at LFS 9 days ago. here is his thread http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?122733-Are-these-good-Discus&highlight=

Akili
01-31-2016, 10:45 PM
OP's pick up thread http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?122748-Discus-adjust-to-new-ph&highlight=

FishFanMan
01-31-2016, 11:18 PM
Ok, may take time. I have a pair in my tank start spawning after a week in my tank. Tap, low nitrates, clean water, interested pair.

John_Nicholson
02-01-2016, 09:21 AM
Not a problem for the short term but in the long term it can cause issues. I once kept several pairs in 100% RO with daily water changes to see the affects. The pairs seemed fine but the spawns kept getting smaller and the rate of defects kept going up. Currently I often keep my pairs in 100% RO and then after the eggs hatch I switch them to 100% RO waste water.

-john

delta5
02-01-2016, 10:23 AM
What is this? I added this pot last night and now it has this on it.

Altum Nut
02-01-2016, 11:11 AM
Looks like paint...I would take it out and scrub it down. If it does not come clean it should not pose any issues with leaching into water.

...Ralph