PDA

View Full Version : Tds

delta5
02-01-2016, 06:52 PM
Got my TDS meter and my tank is at 213ppm. Lowered it to 176ppm with ro water. How do I tell I can't lower the TDS anymore without the ph crashing from lack of buffer?

Pardal
02-01-2016, 07:16 PM
delta
I recommend for you to read the section of water Index. on water works.
In a short answer your buffer capacity is directly proportional to your KH. So you can purchase a water test for it like API or any other . they usually come with a GH as well.
176 ppm is not that low you can go lower . I keep my wilds in 40 TDS and my ph is about 6.8. my GH and KH are really high I only put about 6gallon tap water to a 55gallon drum which is mostly RO.
See what work for you remember TDS is total dissolve solids, that is everything, right. Check your KH or Calcium Carbonate. but don't forget of GH as in this one you have Magnesium which is the second in increase hardness of the water. In other words don't work with your TDS only is only a quick measurement.
Julian

delta5
02-01-2016, 07:19 PM
delta
I recommend for you to read the section of water Index. on water works.
In a short answer your buffer capacity is directly proportional to your KH. So you can purchase a water test for it like API or any other . they usually come with a GH as well.
176 ppm is not that low you can go lower . I keep my wilds in 40 TDS and my ph is about 6.8. my GH and KH are really high I only put about 6gallon tap water to a 55gallon drum which is mostly RO.
See what work for you remember TDS is total dissolve solids, that is everything, right. Check your KH or Calcium Carbonate. but don't forget of GH as in this one you have
Magnesium which is the second in increase hardness of the water. In other words don't work with your TDS only is only a quick measurement.
Julian

Thank you. My KH/GH were at 5 drops before I lowered the TDS. Will keep an eye on them.

RogueDiscus
02-01-2016, 07:33 PM
Hi Delta5,
I'm going to offer what I think I know, and others can correct me where I'm wrong. I think the short answer is you check you pH frequently between your water changes to be sure it is remaining fairly stable. If it is, you can try lowering your tds more. Although your tds can be from many minerals, a very common one is calcium carbonate, which is a buffer. I think it is consumed in the nitrification process that breaks down wastes. If there's not much of something like that in you tds, then the pH will change more rapidly. If you read around though, I think many folks aim for much lower tds when breeding, so I bet your OK.

Akili
02-01-2016, 07:34 PM
What is the pH of your Tap and RO water respectively? It would be a good idea to take and keep a record of the pH and TDS of your Tank.

Akili
02-01-2016, 07:36 PM
Julian types faser than me.:)And the winner is ..............................:bounce:

delta5
02-01-2016, 07:40 PM
What is the pH of your Tap and RO water respectively? It would be a good idea to take and keep a record of the pH and TDS of your Tank.

RO is 5.9ph (non aged) and my tap fluxs between 7.8-8.2ph (non aged) RO water comes out at 20ish ppm and my tap is usually around 360ppm (non aged)

RogueDiscus
02-01-2016, 07:42 PM
HaHaHa! I hope the OP got what they needed. For me it was one of those "Oh, I think I know this one" moments.

Akili
02-01-2016, 08:01 PM
RO is 5.9ph (non aged) and my tap fluxs between 7.8-8.2ph (non aged) RO water comes out at 20ish ppm and my tap is usually around 360ppm (non aged)I suggest you be carefully with your adding RO water to the tank directly like you started yesterday. Try bringing the TDS of your tank slowly.