PDA

View Full Version : Air Pumps & Air Stones

Royalbluewilds420
02-02-2016, 12:53 AM
What do you guys recommend for Air pumps? and what types/styles of air stones work the best?

Phillydubs
02-02-2016, 12:56 AM
I prefer to use a sponge filter rather than air stones... You get the bubble effect and the break of the water surface while filtering the water as well... Win win...

HappyFace
02-02-2016, 02:11 AM
If you plan to breed you will want small peaceful bubbles. If you have a community tank then it depends on how much water movement you would like. I love pond air pumps and large air stones for my 65g to 500g community tanks because I like a lot of movement; a massive wall of air with a churning surface like boiling water. I use them to prevent dead spots and increase the flow towards my overflow box and I love the way they look.

Fishquake
02-02-2016, 10:56 AM
What about aeration in storage reservoirs? I just purchased a Hydrofarm AAPA110L 112-Watt 110-LPM to use in my RO Storage Containers.

93971Does Bubble Size matter?

rickztahone
02-02-2016, 03:22 PM
What about aeration in storage reservoirs? I just purchased a Hydrofarm AAPA110L 112-Watt 110-LPM to use in my RO Storage Containers.

How many containers do you have? If only a couple, that would be overkill. If more than that, then you should be good.

Fishquake
02-02-2016, 04:33 PM
How many containers do you have? If only a couple, that would be overkill. If more than that, then you should be good.

i have 7 100 gallon containers, but only 3 are for RO, which is what i where I plan to use this one. Right now I'm using the Coralife SL-65 Super Luft Pump and I don't think I'm getting enough surface agitation.

rickztahone
02-02-2016, 05:05 PM
i have 7 100 gallon containers, but only 3 are for RO, which is what i where I plan to use this one. Right now I'm using the Coralife SL-65 Super Luft Pump and I don't think I'm getting enough surface agitation.

You should be fine with your upgraded purchase

afriend
02-02-2016, 08:48 PM
I've had many air pumps over the years, and the very best one (by far) is a linear Piston Air Compressor. I have model number LPH 45.

http://www.jehmco.com/html/central_air_pumps.html

Super quiet and reliable.

Cosmo
02-02-2016, 10:51 PM
I used to use the big diaphram pumps from Jehmco, but just recently purchased an LPH26 - GREAT pumps, and like afriend said, quiet :)

lksdrinker
02-03-2016, 12:55 PM
I used to use the big diaphram pumps from Jehmco, but just recently purchased an LPH26 - GREAT pumps, and like afriend said, quiet :)

I just upgraded to one of Jemhco's larger diaphragm pumps (DAPMH40). Any comments between your old diaphragm pump vs the linear piston from Jehmco? Is the linear piston quieter? I'm surprised at how quiet this large diaphragm pump actually is; but the cost of the linear piston pumps forced me to stick with the diaphragm style.

DJW
02-03-2016, 02:01 PM
At one time I used an air compressor and kept it in the garage and ran an airline through the wall so I didn't have to listen to a pump. I seem to be getting more and more tanks again, and I'm thinking about having the pump out in a separate shop building and running a long line to the house. I hate buzzing noises. I would like to listen to one of the linear pumps to see what kind of noise they make. Is the sound similar to the buzz that a diaphragm pump makes, or different? If they are as quiet as a canister filter I wouldn't need to install a long line.
Dan

Kal-El
02-03-2016, 02:29 PM

This one is extremely loud. If you want a quiet pump go with a Linear pump like these. I went with Alita AL-15A Air Pump doing 18 air lines and can do more.

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/air-pumps/alita-linear-air-pumps.html

afriend
02-03-2016, 03:33 PM
I hate buzzing noises. I would like to listen to one of the linear pumps to see what kind of noise they make. Is the sound similar to the buzz that a diaphragm pump makes, or different? If they are as quiet as a canister filter I wouldn't need to install a long line.
Dan

It sounds like a 60 cycle low frequency hum similar to a transformer.

Fishquake
02-03-2016, 03:52 PM
This one is extremely loud. If you want a quiet pump go with a Linear pump like these. I went with Alita AL-15A Air Pump doing 18 air lines and can do more.

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/air-pumps/alita-linear-air-pumps.html

I agree it's pretty darn loud, but for my application its not a significant issue.

SlimmSnake
02-05-2016, 04:26 PM
I have 2 Fluval Q2 air pumps in my main display tank... http://www.fluvalaquatics.com/ca/product/A852-q2-air-pump/#.VrUDik3fNaQ
I have one running 2 air lines on the right side of the tank, and one running 3 air lines on the left side of the tank.
I like that they have the round dial to adjust the air output - great for fine-tuning the speed and appearance of the bubbles. The pump is very quiet also.

I've also tried all kinds of air stones... I've got a mixed variety in my tank, to make different qualities of bubbles, and for aesthetic variety. I've got a couple different sizes of your typical silica air stones; also, I really like wood air blocks (such as http://www.marinedepot.com/Coralife_BioCube_Limewood_Airstone_for_Protein_Ski mmer_Aquarium_Replacement_Filters_Filter_Media-Coralife-ES15639-FIAQRPFR-vi.html ) , as these produce soft, fine, uniform bubbles. I've got a couple of different flexible air wands also - my smaller QT tanks have 24" or 36" long air wands that are laid along the back bottom edge of the tank, making a "background" sheet of bubbles.

Cosmo
02-05-2016, 04:38 PM
I just upgraded to one of Jemhco's larger diaphragm pumps (DAPMH40). Any comments between your old diaphragm pump vs the linear piston from Jehmco? Is the linear piston quieter? I'm surprised at how quiet this large diaphragm pump actually is; but the cost of the linear piston pumps forced me to stick with the diaphragm style.

The LPH26 is so quiet you can't even tell is operating, far quieter than the diaphragm pump I used to use. I am running 13 airstones in a 24in deep tank and still have to vent 6 valves to the atmosphere under the tank so as to not overpower the airstones in the tank. They use less electricty too I believe.