PDA

View Full Version : discoloration white spots

muran90
02-02-2016, 01:48 AM
Hi,
I keep 5 discus (5") and around 25 school fish in 75g planted tank for one year with two external filters: eheim 2078 and eheim 2217. Water changing: every week 25-30%.Food: frozen bloodworms.
All fish are fine. But three month ago I noticed a white spot at the bottom of body on one discus. Looks like a discoloration. It is simmetrically appeared on both sides with red edging arount spot.
And I think that the color of the front portion of the fin began to discolored as well.
This fish normally active and eats good with no problem.
Is this some kind of infection or disease?

I'm not sure if the picture is attached. If not then i will submit it again.

Thanks

Phillydubs
02-02-2016, 08:49 AM
Just looks like fading or a natural discoloration to me... Fish looks good otherwise... What do you feed them ? You mentioned their size, any idea how old they may be? Typically with fish of these colors they tend to fade or change colors especially as they grow. Based on how it looks to me I want to say it's a young adult that's still maturing and growing so it's colors are still changing...

That being said, I would up those water changes. You are not doing enough, that small amount may be working for the time being but you will start to see issues moving forward if you don't bump them up. Try at least twice a week or three times if you can and a bigger volume of water at each time minimum 50%...

rickztahone
02-02-2016, 03:16 PM
Just looks like fading or a natural discoloration to me... Fish looks good otherwise... What do you feed them ? You mentioned their size, any idea how old they may be? Typically with fish of these colors they tend to fade or change colors especially as they grow. Based on how it looks to me I want to say it's a young adult that's still maturing and growing so it's colors are still changing...

That being said, I would up those water changes. You are not doing enough, that small amount may be working for the time being but you will start to see issues moving forward if you don't bump them up. Try at least twice a week or three times if you can and a bigger volume of water at each time minimum 50%...

I agree with you Phil and the top looks like what you mention, but the bottom fin looks rather white. It may be the lighting or the picture, but OP, do you have another shot you can show us of the fish just to be safe? Clearer less blurry picture and maybe closer?

muran90
02-02-2016, 10:03 PM

Thanks Guys,
As you suggested, I will star do 50% water change weekly. I understand that this is not enough but it’s difficult for me to perform more frequent water change.
I bought discus when they were around 3.5- 4” a year ago and now they are around 5”. I feed them twice a day. First time I feed with discus flakes and a second time with frozen bloodworms. Water is 82.5-83F.
At the beginning of keeping fish, the first 10 month I kept fish in the planted tank with mineralized substrate and automated CO2 dosing; liquid fertilizers (potassium and iron) added daily as well. That time a PH was 7.2 during a day with CO2 injection and 7.6 at night with CO2 off. I assume that that time dirt did a bad job to the water quality.
A two month ago, I switched dirt to brightwell substrate. It’s similar to Amazonia. However, this substrate lowered a PH. Now PH during a day is around 6.9-7.0 and at night with CO2 Off and air pump On, PH risen up to 7.3. By the way, after I changed a substrate, one discus laid the eggs on the back wall. Unfortunately, the eggs disappeared on the second day.
I’m sending another picture. It viewed from the other side. From this side discus has two additional small white spots.
Thanks, Leo

Phillydubs
02-03-2016, 08:28 AM
Leo... From what I see I stand by what I said , just looks like coloration and spotting to me as the fish matures... You may see a lot more or it may just stop... Depends on the fish, strain, background etc...

The fish looks nice to me and I wouldn't be worried about it unless you see something alarming.

If you check out others fish of similar colors you will see that some fish go from this pure yellow to a red or orange based on diet and what not or some fish start as a solid then all these markings, stirations and spotting...