PDA

View Full Version : Round gravel?

kilnakorr
02-05-2016, 12:08 PM
I want to redo my tank for Discus but for light gravel I only have 2 option: cichlid sand which is very fine or something called 'beach' or 'caviar' gravel which looks like 0.3-0.8 mm and completely round. Will both be good or one better than the other?

DISCUS STU
02-05-2016, 12:20 PM
BB tanks are always the first and best way to do this. The only thing that works, other than bb, is sand; the finer the better. Anything else will create the potential for a host of bacterial and disease problems, even with large, regular water changes. Raising juveniles in anything other than bb tanks will most likely cause the above mentioned problems.

kilnakorr
02-05-2016, 12:30 PM
I know BB tanks are preferred especially when raising young discus.
I'm only going to add adult ones.
My question is actually based on a lot of threads talking about poolfiltersand #20 /#30.
Looks like poolfilterssand #20 has a grain size around 0.5 mm, and I suspect #30 have a larger grain size.

So, besides that BB is the best, would grain size from 0.3-0.8 mm be a problem?

Cosmo
02-05-2016, 01:53 PM
While I have to disagree with Stu that those are the only two options, that is a topic for another day. Since it wasn't mentioned, if you use sand be very careful you do not make your sand bed too thick or you risk the formation of anearobic bacteria that can be deadly to your fish. If the sand is too deep the oxygen from the tank water will not penetrate all the way through and the colonies of bacteria that don't require oxygen can take root. If releasd into the water column they are deady. When you clean the bottom make sure you only skim the surface to pick up any detritus. I'm sure there is a thread somewhere in the library on this.

Filip
02-05-2016, 02:08 PM
I use 0.3 -0.8 mm size .That is the desired sand size for discus . With finer than this you will have troubles vacuuming since is too lightweight and dusty , and bigger than this traps detritus and bacteria.

Go with no more than 1 - 1.5 inch depth.

Maybe i am wrong here, but I do disturb the whole sand as much as i can twice a week along with the plants ,followed with 80-90 WC.
I'm always surprised how dirty my crystal clear water becomes after this.I'm even more surprised how much mud and crud comes up after disturbing the plants.

kilnakorr
02-05-2016, 02:16 PM
Was what I've read also. Guess those round sand/gravel will be fine. Thanks

Cosmo
02-05-2016, 03:27 PM
I use 0.3 -0.8 mm size .That is the desired sand size for discus . With finer than this you will have troubles vacuuming since is too lightweight and dusty , and bigger than this traps detritus and bacteria.

Go with no more than 1 - 1.5 inch depth.

Maybe i am wrong here, but I do disturb the whole sand as much as i can twice a week along with the plants ,followed with 80-90 WC.
I'm always surprised how dirty my crystal clear water becomes after this.I'm even more surprised how much mud and crud comes up after disturbing the plants.

I've never used sand, was just working off memory :p Since what you do is working for you it must be okay :)

kilnakorr
02-05-2016, 05:07 PM
Thats my concern Cosmo, with a sandbed and potentially lethal gas. I will have a few plants in the back which will require about 1 - 1.5 inch fine gravel. Plus it will be very hard not to siphon the fine sand.
Will try my 'pearl' gravel and see how it ends up.
Guess tomorrow will be a busy day :)

Cosmo
02-05-2016, 06:49 PM
Thats my concern Cosmo, with a sandbed and potentially lethal gas. I will have a few plants in the back which will require about 1 - 1.5 inch fine gravel. Plus it will be very hard not to siphon the fine sand.
Will try my 'pearl' gravel and see how it ends up.
Guess tomorrow will be a busy day :)

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out :) Maybe a pic or two?