PDA

View Full Version : do you treat or use any addictive for RO waste water?

MKD
02-07-2016, 03:15 PM
Hi guys,

I'm collecting RO waste water. It passes 2 sediments and 1 cartoon filter, 437 tds. I'm curious, anyone uses prime or any additives to treat waste water?

Thanks
Tony

Akili
02-07-2016, 03:49 PM
I use mine without anything added, I have a couple of barrels one has a heater, this one I use for discus tanks, the other one wife uses it for her non discus tanks.

MKD
02-07-2016, 03:53 PM
Super, can't waste a drop of it.
Thank you Akili
Tony

DJW
02-07-2016, 04:05 PM
You are probably fine, but I would test the waste water for ammonia to be sure. The carbon breaks the chloramine and leaves ammonia.
Dan

MKD
02-07-2016, 04:36 PM
It's about .25-.5 ammonia. I'm planning to use it on my stabilised tanks.
Thanks Dan.

Tony

Cosmo
02-19-2016, 04:05 PM
I am fortunate to live in a city that does NOT have water meters, instead, we are charged for water based upon the size of the house and the number of bathrooms... believe it or don't, so, I let my waste water run down into the sewer. I keep my Discus tank around 135 TDS so the waste water wouldn't work for me anyway. If I did use it, I'd add prime regardless of whether or not I'd measured ammonia in it - your fish generate plenty fo food for your bio filter, there is no reason to add more.

Akili
02-19-2016, 04:52 PM
Super, can't waste a drop of it.
Thank you Akili
TonyI try not waste any, as my waste collecting barrel is in the laundry room my wife will pump close to 20 gallon in the washing machine and pre soak the clothes . In the summer I divert the waste to the vegetable garden and lawn.Even water changing waste goes to the lawn.Winter I have no choice down the drain from the tanks

I am fortunate to live in a city that does NOT have water meters, instead, we are charged for water based upon the size of the house and the number of bathrooms... believe it or don't, so, I let my waste water run down into the sewer. I keep my Discus tank around 135 TDS so the waste water wouldn't work for me anyway. If I did use it, I'd add prime regardless of whether or not I'd measured ammonia in it - your fish generate plenty fo food for your bio filter, there is no reason to add more.I wish I was that lucky.My municipality charges for discharge also The discharge is based on your usage and it cost as much as water coming in.

Cosmo
02-19-2016, 05:26 PM
I try not waste any, as my waste collecting barrel is in the laundry room my wife will pump close to 20 gallon in the washing machine and pre soak the clothes . In the summer I divert the waste to the vegetable garden and lawn.Even water changing waste goes to the lawn.Winter I have no choice down the drain from the tanks

I wish I was that lucky.My municipality charges for discharge also The discharge is based on your usage and it cost as much as water coming in.

They charge you for discharge??? Never heard of that before... bummer

Altum Nut
02-19-2016, 06:09 PM
They charge you for discharge??? Never heard of that before... bummer

Jim we get hit twice here in Canada as Akili mentioned. The water supply charges fund water-main repairs and water going to drain fund sewer pipe repairs.

...Ralph