PDA

View Full Version : Build my LED closing down SALE

rickztahone
02-15-2016, 10:44 PM
Just saw this on another forum and wanted to pass it along. Apparently they may be closing shop? I heard conflicting stories, but just in case, if you were planning on buying one of their fixtures, the time may be now:

http://www.buildmyled.com/aquarium

Discus-n00b
02-15-2016, 11:33 PM
At the top of the link it states they are closing the shop Feb 22nd and to place orders by the 21st before they close for good. Guess they are done unfortunately.

Second Hand Pat
02-15-2016, 11:35 PM
That's too bad.
Pat

rickztahone
02-15-2016, 11:35 PM
At the top of the link it states they are closing the shop Feb 22nd and to place orders by the 21st before they close for good. Guess they are done unfortunately.

I saw that, but someone else mentioned that they may just be focusing on something else or something along those lines. So, not sure if it is a ploy, or they are really going out of business, but people need to get them now just in case ;)

I just bought a fixture today actually, not a Build my LED, but another fixture, and guess for what Matt? For my 22g RBTA tank!

Discus-n00b
02-16-2016, 01:17 AM
Oh lucky!! I've always wanted a tank for RBTA and clowns!!! If I ever run across a larger, cheap cube type tank that is what it will be used for. I'd use this 15gal after I upgrade if it wasn't to small (I feel like....idk exactly).

brewmaster15
02-16-2016, 07:04 AM
Guys be careful if they are closing. No idea the circumstances here and this business has been a good one but if theres a problem with your order...maybe be hard to resolve it.

Al

rickztahone
02-16-2016, 12:24 PM
Oh lucky!! I've always wanted a tank for RBTA and clowns!!! If I ever run across a larger, cheap cube type tank that is what it will be used for. I'd use this 15gal after I upgrade if it wasn't to small (I feel like....idk exactly).
Originally I was going to use a 12g long to do the RBTA tank, so I would imagine you could possibly do it with a 15g? I will be adding a 30g sump though, so my water volume will be much higher than just the 22g.

Guys be careful if they are closing. No idea the circumstances here and this business has been a good one but if theres a problem with your order...maybe be hard to resolve it.

Al

This is a very good word of caution. Just be careful with your orders and possibly reach out to the reps personally to see what they tell you with this concern. If they happen to pay with PayPal, I would go that route.

pitdogg2
02-16-2016, 01:50 PM

Al

Bingo^^^

rickztahone
02-16-2016, 03:29 PM
"I want to take a moment to address the panic, the rumors, and most of all to THANK each and every one of our clients and supporters. Over the last 3.5 years I've chatted, emailed, and met many of you and feel so fortunate to have done so.

No, Build My LED is not going out of business...but yes, we are shutting down the aquarium side of our business. Over the last year we've explored many options on how to best proceed as the commercial horticultural lighting side of our business grew at a phenomenal pace. While the aquarium hobby has been an enormously successful venture for us, we've come to the tough decision that at this time our resources need to be entirely devoted to the horticulture market. As ever, our goal is to design and build the most efficient high-output photosynthetic lighting in the market and to further photobiology studies for food, agriculture, medicine, and research.

Because of the scope of this endeavor and the size of the market, we made the painful decision to let go of a successful branch of our business to fully focus on these arenas. We will continue sales of aquarium fixtures for one more week; we'll provide service and support for the life of your fixtures; we're not disappearing. (In fact, you'll likely be eating dinner salads and other plants grown under our lights very soon!) But we will discontinue aquarium and custom LED sales. Thank you to each and every customer, questioner, spectrum-suggester, and more...it's been an amazing journey, and we've enjoyed it all.

As I end every email: if you have any further questions, please let me know!

Best regards,

Cara
(and Nick and the BML team)"

Discus-n00b
02-16-2016, 04:16 PM
That's pretty crazy. Never would I have guessed that market would be that large or sucessful. Good on them though!

nofearengineer
02-16-2016, 07:08 PM
That's pretty crazy. Never would I have guessed that market would be that large or sucessful. Good on them though!

With the increase in legal Cannabis growing, it is definitely a booming business. So tell me again how pot is a victimless drug! LOL...we planted tank aquarists are the victims!

But seriously, I have been dealing with Cara Wade for years now. She is good people, and is working her butt off to accommodate our "final" purchases and warranty fulfillment. They squeezed an additional grand out of me hehe.

Discus-n00b
02-16-2016, 07:54 PM
I didn't even think of that plant, makes sense on that front but since they specifically quoted eating a salad it led me in a different direction.

Keith Perkins
02-16-2016, 08:19 PM
I didn't even think of that plant, makes sense on that front but since they specifically quoted eating a salad it led me in a different direction.

You cut the quote off short Matt, what it really said was "you'll likely be eating dinner salads and other plants grown under our lights very soon!". Plenty of "other plants" going into cookies, brownies, gummy candy, suckers, etc. out west these days...so I've been told. :wasntme:

Jack L
02-16-2016, 09:24 PM
With the increase in legal Cannabis growing, it is definitely a booming business. So tell me again how pot is a victimless drug! LOL...we planted tank aquarists are the victims!

But seriously, I have been dealing with Cara Wade for years now. She is good people, and is working her butt off to accommodate our "final" purchases and warranty fulfillment. They squeezed an additional grand out of me hehe.

Exactly what I was thinking

Discus-n00b
02-17-2016, 01:23 AM
I'm stuck in the bible belt of South Carolina, all that progressive stuff is lost on people down here. I should of thought it through a bit more. ;)

Tres
02-17-2016, 08:48 PM
Thanks for posting the thread. As a result I dropped $900 today on a pair of fixtures for a tank I haven't yet bought! It's unfortunate really that they're discontinuing their aquarium lines, but I'm glad I found out as I'd have been gutted had I missed entirely the chance to buy them as nothing else seems to compare.

rickztahone
02-17-2016, 08:51 PM
Thanks for posting the thread. As a result I dropped $900 today on a pair of fixtures for a tank I haven't yet bought! It's unfortunate really that they're discontinuing their aquarium lines, but I'm glad I found out as I'd have been gutted had I missed entirely the chance to buy them as nothing else seems to compare.

If this thread can help one person, then it was worth the creation of it.

nofearengineer
02-18-2016, 05:11 AM

Hear, hear! You're right. Getting my first BML fixture changed the hobby for me. I won't use anything else for my planted tanks...(uh...I guess I'll have to in the future :( )

I bought two 60" fixtures for my 240 project. One in the 6300K Dutch XB and one in the 6500K Dutch II spectrum.

DonMD
02-18-2016, 09:06 AM
Well, it's a great company, I've bought 4 fixtures from them, and they honored their warranty on one that needed service. Perhaps they'll find a way to re-open the hobbyist side of the business in the future. I hope so.

farebox
02-18-2016, 12:01 PM
Agree totally what Don said, I had a small issue with my fixture and Cara's support was spot on, I don't need any lights right now, but hope they come back.

Tres
02-19-2016, 08:04 AM
Although BML are closing down the aquarium side of things, on the Horticultural side their LED LIGHT BAR SOLAR-MAX SPECTRUM white fixture would I believe provide fantastic looking light for a tank which accurately captures the full colours of the fish and everything. It has a high Colour Rendering Index (CRI) rating as it is configured to replicate the full spectrum of natural sunlight.

I would have waited and bought that instead of rushing ahead with a purchase now, but those only come in 24/48/72 inch lengths and I needed a 60" fixture (and also wanted it in black). If you had red discus or other red fish you could add just a low powered LED strip of red to give those colours that extra bit of (unnatural) pop if you really wanted to.

Just explain that its for your hemp producing operation rather than for you aquarium if they ask, being that that is in any case legal in many areas now ; )

I presume that BML found the aquarium side of the business far too customer-service intensive, being with how finicky most hobbyists are and with a million questions to ask before making any such decision!...

farebox
02-19-2016, 09:58 AM
Maybe it takes more light units to grow that horticultural stuff than fish tanks. Just wish I had thought of this business before all those large states that legalized pot, somebody making the $$.

daffyfish
02-21-2016, 11:23 AM
It's been a while since I've looked at their site. Sorry to see they will no longer be selling aquarium fixtures. But, it doesn't look like they are discounting. Just giving everyone notice. Or am I missing the sale section?

nofearengineer
02-23-2016, 10:43 PM
It's been a while since I've looked at their site. Sorry to see they will no longer be selling aquarium fixtures. But, it doesn't look like they are discounting. Just giving everyone notice. Or am I missing the sale section?

Right. There is no "sale". They are building almost all of their last orders from scratch. They keep very little on the shelf.

HeyitsSeanT
02-25-2016, 02:16 AM
Well that sucks. I was really looking forward to having one of their fixtures. Not quite ready for it yet, but if I had been paying attention I would have gone ahead and bought it.