PDA

View Full Version : feeding egg yoke

delta5
02-17-2016, 12:44 PM
I read that some feed egg yoke. Why don't you feed the white part?

Akili
02-17-2016, 01:30 PM
I read that some feed egg yoke. Why don't you feed the white part?Is it about feeding the fry that are raised artificial???

delta5
02-17-2016, 01:35 PM
Is it about feeding the fry that are raised artificial???

Both. For the parents and for the fry.

pitdogg2
02-17-2016, 01:57 PM
back in the day yoke was for feeding fry some may still do it. Yoke was MUCH easier to get very fine white not so much yet I never ever heard of anyone feeding white to parents UNLESS it was used in a beef heart mix.

delta5
02-17-2016, 02:08 PM
back in the day yoke was for feeding fry some may still do it. Yoke was MUCH easier to get very fine white not so much yet I never ever heard of anyone feeding white to parents UNLESS it was used in a beef heart mix.

I'm mesing with a quality flake, one a day vit for men, seachem garlic, and maybe some egg. I'd hope mixing it together minus the garlic and baking would bind it.

Keith Perkins
02-17-2016, 03:33 PM
I'd agree with pitdogg2, it's probably because of the consistency. When artificially raising fry Jack Wattley use to run a line of boil egg yolk around the water line of a small wash basin for fry to feed on.

nc0gnet0
02-17-2016, 04:29 PM
http://www.bulkfoods.com/baking-ingredients/5329-egg-yolk-powder.html

Phillydubs
02-17-2016, 04:41 PM
Does anyone still incorporate that Watley method with their fry now? I always hear brine and was curious myself if there were other ways...

Was this to substitute the brine or in combination with?

Keith Perkins
02-17-2016, 04:46 PM
Does anyone still incorporate that Watley method with their fry now? I always hear brine and was curious myself if there were other ways...

Was this to substitute the brine or in combination with?

I think it was pre-brine and I don't know of anyone still using the method, though there very well could be. I never mastered it, fouled the water something fierce and I always quickly killed off all my fry. Man that was a long long time ago.

Phillydubs
02-17-2016, 04:52 PM
So do most breeders or those with fry hatch their own brine?

Keith Perkins
02-17-2016, 04:53 PM
So do most breeders or those with fry hatch their own brine?

Pretty much.

brewmaster15
02-17-2016, 06:03 PM
I still use wattley's method when I artificially raise fry. When done right it works very well...but its super labor intensive.
Al

MendoMan
02-18-2016, 09:28 PM
It was for raising fry without the parents. Don't ask me why, I have some old books that show that method and it looks like nothing but unnecessary work. I think the OP was talking about making food for adults.. If so why know go with beef heart for your food base?

Altum Nut
02-18-2016, 10:21 PM
I still use wattley's method when I artificially raise fry. When done right it works very well...but its super labor intensive.
Al

I too still know veteran breeders using this method....they feed every 2 to 3 hours. Talk about loss of sleep :sleep:

...Ralph

CliffsDiscus
02-21-2016, 04:22 PM
I read that some feed egg yoke. Why don't you feed the white part?

The yolk is fat similar to Discus slime.

CliffsDiscus
02-21-2016, 04:25 PM
Somehow I alway go back using the yolk, it just works better for me. Method
by Carrol Friswolds once owner of Altenda Water Garden at Pasadena, Ca. back in the 60's.

Cliff

CliffsDiscus
02-21-2016, 05:02 PM
I too still know veteran breeders using this method....they feed every 2 to 3 hours. Talk about loss of sleep :sleep:

...Ralph

There are people at my work asking me how do I artifically raise when I have to work 9 to 5, I just tell them the fry have to wait till I get home.
Oh, there is the guy that his wife left him becuase he was getting out of bed every 2 hours, now his alarm clock is next to him on the pillow.

Cliff