PDA

View Full Version : Help needed for new biotope tank setup

ksuyen
02-17-2016, 08:14 PM

Hello everyone. I am back to Discus after done with reef keeping for 5 years. The tank above inspired me to create a display biotope. So I am going to start fresh. To start with I have purchased below:
1. One large gold vine driftwood (with lots of branches) See the link (http://sereneaquarium.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/22-47-27-31-3.jpg)
2. Custom made 90x45x45 Starphire glass tank (similar as CADE tank) See the link (http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w546/Dac_Ngo/aquarium/redonetankstand_zps6410bb83.jpg)
3. EHEIM 3E 350
4. Hydor external heater 300W which connected directly to filter out
5. VIV glass ball outflow which connected to the heater (see above)
6. VIV glass skimmer inflow which connected directly to filter in
7. ADA decoration white sand
8. Kessil Lightning Tuna Blue A150 with a goose neck (it's not a planted tank and I am going to create spotlight on the wood, the rest will be in shadow)
9. Water changes will done with 50L bucket and an EHEIM pump

At the moment there are no fishes. It's doing fishless cycling with Seachem Stability to populate biofilter. The plan is:
1. Beginning of April to add 50 Tetras (I haven't decided which type, any recommendation?)
2. At the end of April to add 5 Juv Discus (I haven't decided yet with strain, any recommendation?)

Let me know if I have missed anything.

ksuyen
02-17-2016, 08:21 PM
BTW these are the VIV glassware which looks absolutely fabulous, minimalist and clean (just not sure how long before the algae starts showing).

rickztahone
02-17-2016, 09:12 PM
Welcome to the forum.

When I saw the picture it made me smile, because this particular picture was also my inspiration to come back in to the hobby again after I took a long break without discus.

I have had the lily pipe seen above and so long as you buy a pipe cleaner, you will be fine. It does accumulate crud quick, but if you stay on top of scrubbing it often, it does not build up any algae.

ksuyen
02-17-2016, 10:41 PM
Any recommendation for:
1. type of schooling tetras?
2. strain of discus?

I know, that particular image has been posted so many times on Discus forum, which I guess inspired to many more people. I really love how clean it looks, with minimalist design, no plant (hence avoid the headache of CO2 and messing up water parameters with more supplements) and beautiful driftwood/rock. I wish to emulate the same design.

rickztahone
02-17-2016, 11:12 PM
Tetras? Cardinals for me, or rummy nose. That is all I would recommend. Get some larger than 1" if you can or be prepared to lose a few.

As far as strains go? That is so very personal :)

Here is our Strain catalog list if you are interested in viewing different strains:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?350-Discus-Strain-Catalogue-(-member-submitted-Strains-galore!)

Here is also a strains thread which is much older:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?71055-Strain-List-for-Beginners-(pictures)

woopaul5
02-18-2016, 12:04 AM
Any recommendation for:
1. type of schooling tetras?
2. strain of discus?

I know, that particular image has been posted so many times on Discus forum, which I guess inspired to many more people. I really love how clean it looks, with minimalist design, no plant (hence avoid the headache of CO2 and messing up water parameters with more supplements) and beautiful driftwood/rock. I wish to emulate the same design.

You prefer wilds or domestic? I think with the above design the classic red/blue turk would go great!

ksuyen
02-18-2016, 12:45 AM
Hi.

First, I would only go for single strain for the whole tank as opposed to multiple strains. At the moment, I am strongly considering the turquoise. I also think they will look excellent with the blue light and starphire glass, dark wood and white sand.

rickztahone
02-18-2016, 12:47 AM
Hi.

First, I would only go for single strain for the whole tank as opposed to multiple strains. At the moment, I am strongly considering the turquoise. I also think they will look excellent with the blue light and starphire glass, dark wood and white sand.

You don't really want to ask me what to get because I always spew the same strain, truqs, lol. Personally, the Galaxy turq is amongst the top favorite for me.

pastry
02-19-2016, 08:21 PM
Single strain tanks usually give the "whoa" effect regardless of strain. I'm not a fan of albino strains but have seen some single albino strain tanks and think they are awesome.

I like my lemon tetras but sometimes want to try a new tetra school out of boredom

papasmurf
02-20-2016, 12:22 AM
The A150 "Amazon Sun" or A160 "Tuna Sun" would be better choices IMO...the "Tuna Blue" is more of a reef color spectrum I think.