PDA

View Full Version : Scare of my life

Mpphawk
02-21-2016, 11:32 AM
3 hours ago I found this female on the floor. I've never seen the fish dart unless my hands are in the tank. Anyone use eggcrate top or is this something that probably won't happen again. Luckily I went to check on them and my day off. Here she is 3 hours later. Only thing I noticed was the one slice in tail fin.

Akili
02-21-2016, 11:53 AM
Hopefully she has no other damage,the tear in the tail fin will heal by it self in a few days.

Keith Perkins
02-21-2016, 11:57 AM
I have several used tanks in my inventory that have holes in the hoods that were put there by the previous owners for hobs. I do have egg crate covering one of those holes. but have it zip tied on to the hood. Without it being attached or weighted in some way a jumping discus is likely to just knock eggcrate off and keep right on a going to the floor. You just never know when it's going to happen. I've lost one male this way and I've lost count of how many fry/juvies. In your case the fry may have irritated your female and in her attempt to lose them she may have gone up and out. Glad you found her before it was too late.

mee
02-21-2016, 01:10 PM
Glad you found her. Nothing worse than finding a nice fish dead on the floor.

nofearengineer
02-24-2016, 02:02 AM
Glad to hear you avoided a serving of discus jerky. It is expensive as hell per pound.

mee
02-24-2016, 07:42 AM
Just curious, did your insurance cover this?

Boyd Luth
02-24-2016, 09:00 AM
Grateful you found her before any death ! I finally sealed my tanks with glass, used acrylic initially, and the light seemed dull. Also aided in retaining the heat, as I am on VB Utility $$$ Was moving one of my Discus recently, and somehow got loose, and flopped on the floor, scooped up, and back in the tank, with no injuries. Scary, keep us posted.

Mpphawk
02-24-2016, 06:53 PM
All is good with the fish. After watching the tank more I think she was harassing the male to the point of him chasing her. Put her in another tank and he followed the next day. Seems like a spawn will happen very soon again. Tank now covered haha.

Mpphawk
02-24-2016, 07:01 PM
Just curious, did your insurance cover this?

I should contact them and find out for future reference haha. I'm actually lucky I never stepped on the fish. I was walking up to the side of the tank looking at tank not floor. Looked behind tank first and nothing, hart sank and took a few steps back, looked down and there it was.